User Tag List

123 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default Too much credit to MBTI and not enough to male/female?

I was reading Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus recently...I don't agree with everything in it, and I could see some people finding it old-fashioned, but I think there are a lot of very valid points and good advice.

It often seems to me that in MBTI discussions we are giving all the weight to type and very little to gender. Should we be giving gender differences more credit? ie. is it just "T" men who are likely to "go into their caves" or does that apply to all men, more than to women, regardless of type...?

What does everyone think? I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I have a hunch that gender differences (whether by nature or nurture) should play a bit more of a role in these discussions than they often do. It often seems that occasionally people will say "or maybe it's just because he's a guy and I'm a girl, haha" but not much more than that...

I suspect there may have been discussions along this line already - please feel free to direct me if an interesting thread already exists.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    eNTP

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I have a hunch that gender differences (whether by nature or nurture) should play a bit more of a role in these discussions than they often do.
    1. I'm fairly sure they're by nurture
    2. There ARE discussions about gender differences, particularly on this forum.
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always “lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments.” He concluded that “There is more than one way of doing good science.”
    It was Watson’s form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve “the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA.” It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by paintmuffin View Post
    1. I'm fairly sure they're by nurture
    2. There ARE discussions about gender differences, particularly on this forum.
    It's an interesting question that I've often thought about. That book is good but seems overly simplistic in its view.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think the science behind the matter shows that there are definite social factors that impact gender development and that society imposes roles and expectations on members based on physical sex... however, there's inherent biology and body/brain differentiation that happens during gestation or as life progresses that also impacts how people behave. Even fluctuating hormone levels impact behavior in an individualistic way.

(Study the cases where male babies had surgery and were raised as women due to circumcision incidents within a few months after birth, and you'll see some interesting outcomes... the huge bulk of which still identified and tried to behave as male while still being raised as female without possessing knowledge of their childhood. Some turn out andro/ambiguous in gender identity.)

Technically, many transsexuals would not exist if nurture was the only force in play, because there is a lot of pressure to conform to assigned gender roles even from birth; the nature influences must be powerful if they can equal and even overcome in some situations the rigorous social training and pressures levied against each one of us.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I've heard the idea that M/F generalizations work about 80% of the time. I'm female because I was born female and gave birth to and nursed my young. No other generalization encompasses what makes me female.

That being said, I have more in common with ENFP and ENTP females on here than I ever thought I would have in common with a "large" number of females. That book would probably drive me crazy.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

If someone was considering how best to communicate and understand me I think I would prefer to be regarded as "ISFP" rather than the blanket "MAN".

I think the type code breaks down some of that nuture stuff.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The MBTI is a descriptor, and as such, if there are any general differences in the male and female population, then the MBTI should already represent that in terms of differeng type distribution among the genders.

Anything outside of that is something outside of the MBTI's paradigm anyway, and thus does not demand very much focus in a MBTI discussion. It should probably be nothing more than the usual reminder that people differ in more ways than types can account for, and that's that.

So the first and second paragraph can be concluded as a no. I don't see the need to enter more gender discussion into it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I think in mbti it bears a somewhat romantic notion that gender is often neglected but I never really am convinced it does work in real life too
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I've heard the idea that M/F generalizations work about 80% of the time. I'm female because I was born female and gave birth to and nursed my young. No other generalization encompasses what makes me female.

That being said, I have more in common with ENFP and ENTP females on here than I ever thought I would have in common with a "large" number of females. That book would probably drive me crazy.
    Me likey.
    I remember going to the dolphin/infj site and reading the quotes. It was like being home at last.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Though the days my girl went drinking with me and the gang she showed us how its really done. She gave a 2 hour long subtle psychoanalysis of every person at the table, before she collapsed after the 10th shot of Jägermeister.

That day I was convinced, I am never gonna be a ladies man
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]