User Tag List

First 344243444546 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Some people think it's funny, even if you don't--and I really don't think any genuine harm is being done. It's all in good fun.
    I suppose you believe that, since you've stated it. From my vantage point, I believe you have alienated many people, and not just INFP's.

More people just choose to stay away from you as a consequence than try to engage you in the interesting diversion of online conversation.

I think it's a Lose / Lose proposition all 'round.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No I don't. I didn't say "They" was a verb. "They" is a plural pronoun, not a collective singular pronoun.

Observe:

A few questions:

1) Do you use a General American dialect?

2) Do most people who are as obsessed with correcting grammar as you happen to be also make the mistake of ending a sentence with a preposition?

3) Why did you post this on my wall and in the thread?

I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with you.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I suppose you believe that, since you've stated it. From my vantage point, I believe you have alienated many people, and not just INFP's.

More people just choose to stay away from you as a consequence than try to engage you in the interesting diversion of online conversation.

I think it's a Lose / Lose proposition all 'round.
    Think of it as me weeding out the people I wouldn't want to deal with anyway. Some people around here enjoy competitive arguing the same way I do and recognize that I rarely actually mean it personally. I also suspect that I'd have been perma-banned by now if the mod staff (which I must admit is generally pretty balanced, despite my occasional complaints about overmoderation) really thought I was completely out of line that often.

Others, well...they can avoid me if they want to. Honestly if you guys think I'm that bad you should see INTP central; that place is like me on crack. It's too abrasive even for me to enjoy it, and that's really saying something.

A variety of posters have expressed appreciation for my posts and my writing style, and not just hard ass NTs! Jeffster has stated that I'm one of his favorite posters (something I take pride in, as I very much enjoy Jeffster 95% of the time), and I talk to blackcat on AIM regularly--both of them are ISFPs, which is an Fi dominant type!

INFPs tend to overestimate the amount of alienation I'm doing simply because they find me so grossly offensive, and I kinda get off on that to be honest. Several of you have written scaremongering letters telling me that I'll soon find myself totally alienating everybody if I don't heed their warnings and pay more attention to people's feelings, and yet I still get overwhelmingly positive rep comments and have ISFPs (again I will stress, Fi doms!!) openly showing support.

All of this contributes to my conclusion that some INFPs are just too damn sensitive, and tend to universalize that perspective by assuming everyone else must share it.

They don't seem to realize that not everybody cares nearly as much about simulatedworld's abrasiveness as they do.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    A few questions:

1) Do you use a General American dialect?
    Born 'n' raised in the south, m'dear. (Not that I take much pride in that.)

2) Do most people who are as obsessed with correcting grammar as you happen to be also make the mistake of ending a sentence with a preposition?
    I don't know what you speak of.

3) Why did you post this on my wall and in the thread?

I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with you.
    gg n00b

There's a lot wrong with me. But there's a lot right too--I promise.

If I may ironically quote a certain INFP's signature that I happen to like,

"If I seem a little strange, it's because, well--I am."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

They don't seem to realize that not everybody cares nearly as much about simulatedworld's abrasiveness as they do.
    Fair enough; I can't comment on that. But regardless, you miss out on receiving many warm and happy every day!

"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Plus too - look how much fun you and I are having - would you have truly wanted to have missed out on that?
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Fair enough; I can't comment on that. But regardless, you miss out on receiving many warm and happy every day!

It's cool; I get plenty of that from the people who aren't busy imagining epic misanthropy and dreaming up bizarre hidden emotional motivations for why I am the way I am.

Besides, as a staunch Ti-er I much prefer affirmations of my logic and insight to an emoticon-based reward system. I'm simply uninterested in the approval of most INFPs.

Plus too - look how much fun you and I are having - would you have truly wanted to have missed out on that?
    This little fun experience required you to step out of your Fi box and talk to me in my own language without whining until doomsday about what a dick I am--and for this I commend you. If you hadn't been able to do this, none of it would have happened.

Indeed, I've taken note and I dare say this little shindig has boosted your credibility in my mind a little bit. Good work, but...don't expect me to turn into a sappy Fi monster as a result.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

This little fun experience required you to step out of your Fi box and talk to me in my own language without whining until doomsday about what a dick I am--and for this I commend you. If you hadn't been able to do this, none of it would have happened.
    I worked very hard to help you step out of your box too - the magic started happening when you got real, and we could connect without the flotsam of hyperbole or ad hominem attacks.

And I appreciate that you met me there.

Indeed, I've taken note and I dare say this little shindig has boosted your credibility in my mind a little bit. Good work, but...don't expect me to turn into a sappy Fi monster as a result.
    Myself, I already knew you had much to offer, but don't expect me not to call you out on being abrasive in the future.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

fair enough

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I had been putting off going through this thread. I just read it now in its entirety. *collapses into a heap*

One of your major gripes, SW, seems to be that INFPs are oversensitive and have read too much into what you are saying. You may not have consciously intended your words to be interpreted as attacks but they have collectively been so. Allow me to respond:

1. I, and many other INFPs here, saw your comments about 'paranoid Fi doms' as a veiled attack on Fi-doms in general. As much as you have denied this, your negative comments about Fi throughout the thread have only sought to confirm and justify this inference. How unfair is it then, that you should continually accuse us of being hysterical and oversensitive when we attempt to defend ourselves?

2. Fi is the most difficult to understand of the cognitive functions. It is so because it is concerned with the 'essence' of things - something unmeasurable and undefinable. I can appreciate your frustration with Fi but you must try and give it the benefit of the doubt - make the effort to see where we are coming from. You started this thread in reaction to some (rather unnecessary) comments made about the evils of MBTI. Surely, as a defender of MBTI you can appreciate that, if anything, MBTI is about learning about how different types think in order to better understand and accept their behaviour. Maybe you need to keep this in mind more. I would rather that you asked real questions about the reasons behind our behaviour, than, essentially, complaining about the fact we are not more ENTP-like. We can't help this.

3. You look at our decisions and see no rhyme or reason but I assure you that, despite making decisions based on feelings, there is a kind of logic to it. It might not makes sense to you in the way Ti or Te does because we use different methodologies. I hate to reference myself (ugh) but I made an explaination of this on another thread.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post942563

You earlier mentioned an example:
    Well, what if ignoring what seems logical to me and listening to your feelings is going against the very fabric of my identity?

As one INFP friend told me, "Listen, if somebody you're working with has a feeling about something, you just have to go with that and respect it, no matter how unreasonable it is!"...

Frankly I find this double standard unfair and I resent it. It's apparently okay for Fi-ers to "just be who they are" and operate in nonstop Fi mode, ignoring Thinking; in fact, this attitude is glorified and encouraged by popular media--but it's not okay for Ti-ers to "just be who we are" and ignore Feeling because that makes us insensitive assholes
    I interpreted your friends advice completely differently. I don't think that he meant that your way of thinking is wrong. I think what he meant was that you just can't argue with some people - they are going to believe what they want, no matter what you say and do. I also hate it when people have stupid and unreasonable beliefs, but sometimes you just have to let it go, and put up with it. It seems like you friend was trying to help you to deal more diplomatically with others that are different to yourself, rather than attempting to undermine your character. And believe me, if anyone is going to understand your individual needs, its an Fi user.