User Tag List

First 26343536373846 Last

MBTI
    intp

"No, you're not so extraordinarily unique and special and unusual that your personality automatically defies all forms categorization and analysis."

In fact, I am. And so are you.

This reminds me of an incident... My psychiatrist wrote in a report that my identity is somehow dissolved or unsolid, which is supposedly a bad thing. And how did he conclude this? All I can remember is that a psychologist and a psychiatrist asked me questions like "What kind of a person are you?" and I replied "I don't know" or "that's a very complicated question" because of my convicion that people cannot be categorised or described in a nutshell. And because I'm sure that whatever I say makes them think that I'm something that I'm really not because there's always the other side of things etc. I certainly have a sense of who I am, it's just that I can't and don't want to be compelled to explain it in a few sentences. And it means that I have some kind of a dissolved identity? Argh! Want to know what I'm like? Well, don't ask what I'm like-- get to know me! Spend time with me!

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    One thing I'm not sure you're picking up on is that sometimes these arbitrary feelings are considered sources of weaknesses. Thus when you're being asked to "respect" someone else's arbitrary feelings on a subject you're actually being asked not to stick the boot in when someone is already down (in that specific area). Iow you're being asked to show mercy rather than respect. Or at least forbearance.

Of course, sometimes people need someone to stick the boot in when they're already down. Otherwise they might never get up.
    Good alternative explanation. I can see that being possible if the INFP is a bit more balanced, and recognizes that invalidating the emotions isn't going to be effective. Of course, they may just be an Fi-monster.

I agree that there's a gender component to all this as well. I know that my experiences as an F-dom male did NOT involve society giving me more of a pass because I was an F. In fact, very much the opposite. Whereas I've noticed that F women are usually not pushed to develop that more objective side... and in fact my receive resistance if they do.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    F-type women are going to get away with ignoring Thinking much moreso than F-type men (for whom I genuinely feel sorry.)
    Ugh, that's awful. "get away with ignoring thinking"? Being an F doesn't make you unable to reason any more than being T makes you unable to have feelings. Being an F is not an excuse for being a mushy idiot just as being T isn't an excuse for being an ahole. If either are used that way then it's a weakness on the part of the user.

eta: And being female is no excuse for not being rational.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

What happened now?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm not even sure why I wrote this, since the OP seems to be attacking something I find irritating in myself and other Fi-doms. It's probably the renowned INFP oversensitivity to criticism. :rolli:
    Or it could be sensitivity to fragmentation and tunnel vision. I'm not particularly fond of overly dramatic statements which are also based on tunnel vision, but tend to ignore them or hope the person is trying to make a point. In many cases it is just how alot of people use language.

Modern pop society idolizes people who overstate their position and insult their opponents (I'm guessing it influences communication even on boards like this). Virtually every successful media personality is an "asshole". I think there are church and family communities that pressure people to be "Feelers" (meaning filtering communication for the purpose of the recipient), but I think it is stretching it to say that assholes are persecuted in society at large. Reason is trampled on most of the time, but aggressive communication is seen as heroic.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

garbage

Frankly I find this double standard unfair and I resent it. It's apparently okay for Fi-ers to "just be who they are" and operate in nonstop Fi mode, ignoring Thinking; in fact, this attitude is glorified and encouraged by popular media--but it's not okay for Ti-ers to "just be who we are" and ignore Feeling because that makes us insensitive assholes.
    I think there's a reason you see so many threads asking if Fi is associated with selfishness--because for many people, it is. The strong, balanced Fi-ers that I know have all learned to balance it out with Se/Ne, recognizing that sometimes you need to just go with the flow and adapt to changing conditions instead of sticking rigidly to your feelings.
    If Fi users are forced by their circumstances to balance their Fi with perception, then that implies that it is not 'okay' for them to just be stuck in Fi mode. It is as you say; the world will smack them down eventually as a consequence of this, and they will have to adapt.

This is by no means a pity party on the part of an Fi user. Because it is also as you said before; thinkers users will have to balance their thinking tendency, as the world will smack them down in other ways if they don't.

The world smacks us all down in different ways and relishes in all of our strengths in different ways, too; we all have to learn balance to cope with circumstances that don't jive with our natural skillset.

For F dudes in a thinking environment? Be the diplomat or mediator. Play to those strengths. People do, in fact, eat that stuff up.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Ugh, that's awful. "get away with ignoring thinking"? Being an F doesn't make you unable to reason any more than being T makes you unable to have feelings. Being an F is not an excuse for being a mushy idiot just as being T isn't an excuse for being an ahole. If either are used that way then it's a weakness on the part of the user.

eta: And being female is no excuse for not being rational.
    Theoretically you're right; unfortunately it doesn't always work that way in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveri View Post
    "No, you're not so extraordinarily unique and special and unusual that your personality automatically defies all forms categorization and analysis."

In fact, I am. And so are you.
    Categorizing people doesn't imply that the categorization describes everything about the person. It's just a label to denote that you show some general similarities to others. This is what the OP is complaining about--Fi being so threatened by "dehumanization" that it loses the practical value in generalized categorization and even insists that such categorization is impossible/useless by imagining that it must purport to completely describe everything about an individual.

If you know what typology actually does, you know that it doesn't pretend to be able to completely summarize a unique individual's personality in four letters--it's mostly just Fi doms who pretend that it's supposed to do that and hold it to an unrealistic standard. If you take it for what it's supposed to be--a very generalized observation of broad similarities in cognitive processes--then it works just fine, no matter how super special and unique you are.

I'm not even sure why I wrote this, since the OP seems to be attacking something I find irritating in myself and other Fi-doms. It's probably the renowned INFP oversensitivity to criticism. :rolli:
    I commend you for being able to admit that this oversensitivity even exists. (Not that I expect anyone to notice when I say something positive to/about INFPs.)

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    If Fi users are forced by their circumstances to balance their Fi with perception, then that implies that it is not 'okay' for them to just be stuck in Fi mode. It is as you say; the world will smack them down eventually as a consequence of this, and they will have to adapt.
    They're not forced to balance themselves; they just do it because some of them are wise people who recognize the value in doing so. I know more unbalanced Fi-ers who are rarely expected to pay attention to Thinking because people just accept that they're going to emo their way to getting whatever they want and deal with it.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

F-type women are going to get away with ignoring Thinking much moreso than F-type men

Your comments are out of control.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Your comments are out of control.
    Yours are irrelevant and boring. Next.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Yours are irrelevant and boring. Next.

You have no ground to stand on and you know it.
    Stop trolling the NFs with unfounded claims.
    Now you are making it an attack on F women.

A woman must have refused to have sex with you last night.