User Tag List

First 25333435363745 Last

Results 341 to 350 of 491

  1. #341
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    ^ I think I understand to a higher degree than you think, but am still annoyed and irritated by it, so I make threads like this to take out my frustration. This is what looks to you like "forgetting what I already understand"--I'm not forgetting; I'm just trolling you because it pisses me off when Fi-ers expect the whole world to bend over backward to accommodate their arbitrary feelings. (You're damn right this is Fe at work.)

    What annoys me most is that society expects Thinkers to develop some manner of Feeling as they grow and develop, and we're ostracized if we don't...but many Feelers (specifically FPs) seem to have this sense of entitlement that their feelings can never be questioned and that they have no responsibility to learn any Thinking to balance them out. It's childish and one-sided. "I mean, that's how I feel about it--you can't question that or you'd be asking me to go against the very fabric of my identity!"

    Well, what if ignoring what seems logical to me and listening to your feelings is going against the very fabric of my identity?

    As one INFP friend told me, "Listen, if somebody you're working with has a feeling about something, you just have to go with that and respect it, no matter how unreasonable it is!" (Note that I still classify this person as a friend and hang out with him frequently. This implies that I still find enough things about his personality valuable to consider him a friend, despite his childish sense of entitlement to unconditionally have his feelings coddled. That should tell you something about your little "omg sim hates all Fi-ers!!!" theories.)

    Frankly I find this double standard unfair and I resent it. It's apparently okay for Fi-ers to "just be who they are" and operate in nonstop Fi mode, ignoring Thinking; in fact, this attitude is glorified and encouraged by popular media--but it's not okay for Ti-ers to "just be who we are" and ignore Feeling because that makes us insensitive assholes.

    I find it unreasonable that our cultural standards expect more Feeling out of T types than Thinking out of F types, and if the only place I can get away with fighting it sans significant negative consequence is on an internet forum, then that's what I'm gonna do.

    There's some straight up Fe for you. I've learned the hard way not to bring this shit up in real life.

    Now that I've actually explained some of my emotional motivations, maybe you all can shut the hell up with assigning them for me without my input. I don't hate Fi on principle and I don't complain about it because I'm secretly in love with PeaceBaby. I really honestly do have some INFP friends and I appreciate a lot of things about them--this has much, much bigger implications than that.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  2. #342
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    *smiles* Then we're more alike than you think. Fi is bashed more than you realize I think, irl. And NFPs I'm pretty sure share your feeling of resentment that everything taught in schools, everything appreciated out in the real world, is logic and cold hard facts. Sure, there's some room for it, but mostly in dream worlds like movies or novels for people to escape to and it's never considered serious or right for reality. So..a lot of NFPs probably are responding in the same way you are to feeling restricted. In our case we're told to man up, provide logic or be ridiculed. In your case, you're told you're rude and inappropriate

    I don't expect for a T to do any of those things. He can be just fine who he is. But don't be questioning my world because you're curious about something that you don't completely understand without showing some respect to the person who actually *lives* there. I didn't go: plz see this and understand me now! You came to look for NFPs and ask for explanations yourself. You find it odd that once you then judge those things from what most NFPs seem to think is a wrong understanding of how things work...they get annoyed at you and consider you rude? You're invading their space. I'm not telling you to stop analyzing or asking for logic. But you're asking it on a subject that just doens't use the same logic as you do. So either you learn the other 'type of logic', or you accept that you'll never understand. And bashing it, or getting frustrated at it won't change that.

    I get that you're venting. I'm pretty sure other NFPs here do the same as they too feel that pressure from society irl. From my personal pov: I'd prefer it if all those Fi-thread things died already coz they give me a migraine and make me feel like I'm not able to get away from the real world again. It's more miscommunication, false judgements and more people misunderstanding and getting the wrong idea. And yeah, you could say, you can ignore them. But as I stated before...that annoying rekindling of hope that *someone* will get it, doesn't wanna die
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  3. #343
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    *smiles* Then we're more alike than you think. Fi is bashed more than you realize I think, irl. And NFPs I'm pretty sure share your feeling of resentment that everything taught in schools, everything appreciated out in the real world, is logic and cold hard facts. Sure, there's some room for it, but mostly in dream worlds like movies or novels for people to escape to and it's never considered serious or right for reality. So..a lot of NFPs probably are responding in the same way you are to feeling restricted. In our case we're told to man up, provide logic or be ridiculed. In your case, you're told you're rude and inappropriate
    I don't think everything appreciated in the real world is logic and cold hard facts at all. I think if you actually spent a day as a strong Thinking type you'd run into a lot of problems with Feelers guilt tripping you and pushing you to be something you're not, and that you don't realize how many conditions in the "real world" favor Feeling because you're naturally fluent in it.

    I see how this works both ways, of course, but I don't see the same sense of entitlement in most Ts that I do in so very many Fs. And really, it's rarely even FJs, as they tend to see the world in much more realistic terms--I have to be honest, it's almost exclusively FPs who didn't get the memo that the world doesn't revolve around their feelings.

    I think there's a reason you see so many threads asking if Fi is associated with selfishness--because for many people, it is. The strong, balanced Fi-ers that I know have all learned to balance it out with Se/Ne, recognizing that sometimes you need to just go with the flow and adapt to changing conditions instead of sticking rigidly to your feelings.

    As a Ti-er, I've had to learn a lot of that, mostly through building Fe-related skills. When I was younger I completely ignored/refused to deal with anything I considered illogical that couldn't be explained in precisely impersonal terms, and it didn't get me very far. In American society, you can't get away with ignoring the idea of emotion.

    And yet, somehow, based on lots of evidence I see from selfish Fi-ers around me every day, you can get away with ignoring logic, if only you make a big enough scene about how people are hurting your feelings. Guilt tripping works far, far better on the basis of "You're being meeeean!" than it does on the basis of "You're being illogical." Ti-ers are forced to learn Fe to a much greater extent than Fi-ers are forced to learn Te. It's much more accepted to err on the side of too personal than it is to err on the side of too impersonal, and I find that really unfair.

    P.S., you're the only Fi-er that's come even remotely close to accurately assessing my feelings. It's doubly irritating when others try to attach emotional motivation to everything, and do it inaccurately at that.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  4. #344
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    What annoys me most is that society expects Thinkers to develop some manner of Feeling as they grow and develop, and we're ostracized if we don't...but many Feelers (specifically FPs) seem to have this sense of entitlement that their feelings can never be questioned and that they have no responsibility to learn any Thinking to balance them out. It's childish and one-sided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    *smiles* Then we're more alike than you think. Fi is bashed more than you realize I think, irl. And NFPs I'm pretty sure share your feeling of resentment that everything taught in schools, everything appreciated out in the real world, is logic and cold hard facts.
    Yep... Two sides of a coin. If I may, I too will vent a bit now... I too have felt frustrated by this... It's not like I didn't have enough logic, lucky for me I was always quite interested in science, so I somehow got the logic without even realizing it. But, as far as I remember, F was always a weakness. It is not "natural" for a boy to be that sensitive, so you can guess who they chose to pick on. And you know, it doesn't stop. It has just evolved into something else now. In the normal work place, for example, it is expected of me to keep a certain kind of a poker face. It isn't like I'm being emo over there or anything like that. It can be something like I get all enthusiastic over something and laugh too loud. As if you can't even express joy in there.

    So, I have come to a conclusion that the best environments for me will be the ones with high amount of women or high amount of sensitive men. The people I hang out with, it seems to me like we are a bunch of outcasts. Not in the way that we are isolated from people, but in a way that the group is connected to other groups that are similar. I don't feel like I'm alone, but I do feel outside of the mainstream.

    I haven't really found a way to be T enough. I just have to distance myself when I am in a situation requiring me to not be sensitive. This can be seen as uninterest in the task at hand, absent-mindedness or coldness.

  5. #345
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    ^ Good point in that there is probably a gender component to this as well.

    F-type women are going to get away with ignoring Thinking much moreso than F-type men (for whom I genuinely feel sorry.)
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  6. #346
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    F-type women are going to get away with ignoring Thinking much moreso than F-type men (for whom I genuinely feel sorry.)
    I think that the most difficult thing to be would be a T-mom.

  7. #347
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    Well it's a learning process, and it appears that you mostly meet them in debate, making Fi less reliable. Actually, if you truly wanna see Fi in action on guessing your feelings, you should try and have a one-on-one conversation with them, a harmonizing one, and you could gauge how accurate they can be. Stress just fucks us up, ime.

    As for the rest, I can see your point. I too get annoyed at being guilttripped, though my beef is mostly with Fe on that. But don't underestimate the amount of disdain you get for not being logical. It' means you're stupid, you won't ever be able to take care of yourself, get a job, function in this society, have anything worthwile to contribute as it's not verifiable. Maybe it's coz I grew up surrounded by NTPs, but even in school, my oversensitive nature made me an outcast as, much as you've discovered, it's fun to poke at someone who responds, it's fun to hound them and bully them (teenage version, not saying this is you). And yes, the fact that we can be good at getting (some) people to like us and 'charm' them, tends to piss off others who feel that we've 'got it easy' coz we never have to do anything ourselves (or so they perceive it). They fail to see however that this too is a skill and something that requires great effort and it's often done without having that goal in mind. The goal is a side-effect caused by your personality and dynamic with people really. I cannot tell you how many times I've been looked at funny because the combo of having a rich boyfriend (who btw, I didn't know was wealthy when I started dating him) and the fact that you have trouble finding a job that suits you (Fi idealism+ reality not really working the way I do) gets you labelled as 'having it easy and taking advantage' (I do support myself but they don't see it that way). It gets you looked down upon. And your 'talents' are considered evil, while you suck at the things that 'matter' which, as I experienced it were logic, efficiency, verifiability, working hard, being punctual, getting things done, etc etc).

    Anycase, that's my personal experience in the world, so I'm kinda venting here
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  8. #348
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    But don't underestimate the amount of disdain you get for not being logical. It' means you're stupid, you won't ever be able to take care of yourself, get a job, function in this society, have anything worthwile to contribute as it's not verifiable. Maybe it's coz I grew up surrounded by NTPs, but even in school, my oversensitive nature made me an outcast as, much as you've discovered, it's fun to poke at someone who responds, it's fun to hound them and bully them (teenage version, not saying this is you).
    ---
    It gets you looked down upon. And your 'talents' are considered evil, while you suck at the things that 'matter' which, as I experienced it were logic, efficiency, verifiability, working hard, being punctual, getting things done, etc etc).

    Anycase, that's my personal experience in the world, so I'm kinda venting here
    I bolded my experience. The thing I would like them to see is that I actually am contributing something. It isn't very obvious, and it might seem like I am just enjoying the benefits of other people's work as I don't seem to have results that I can show. It is very hard for me to find a place where my talents are of use. I would really want to be in such a position where anyone could see that I am not useless, or some sort of a mistake, but with my set of talents and traits, such a position is hard to find and hard to get.

  9. #349
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I bolded my experience. The thing I would like them to see is that I actually am contributing something. It isn't very obvious, and it might seem like I am just enjoying the benefits of other people's work as I don't seem to have results that I can show. It is very hard for me to find a place where my talents are of use. I would really want to be in such a position where anyone could see that I am not useless, or some sort of a mistake, but with my set of talents and traits, such a position is hard to find and hard to get.
    QFT!!!
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  10. #350
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    I sympathize with the OP and I havent read much of the subsequent thread, but I really have to object to this:

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I find it unreasonable that our cultural standards expect more Feeling out of T types than Thinking out of F types
    As Nolla has pointed out, try being an F guy. From my perspective people will be far more likely to respect an asshole who's attempting (unsuccessfully) to be sensitive than to respect someone sensitive who's trying (unsuccessfully) to be hard. I think people "expect more Feeling out of T types" because it makes them less intimidating. It expects more Thinking out of F types because it makes them more useful. The desire to make someone less intimidating is more pressing than the desire to make them useful. But really, would you rather be considered intimidating or useless?

    One thing I'm not sure you're picking up on is that sometimes these arbitrary feelings are considered sources of weaknesses. Thus when you're being asked to "respect" someone else's arbitrary feelings on a subject you're actually being asked not to stick the boot in when someone is already down (in that specific area). Iow you're being asked to show mercy rather than respect. Or at least forbearance.

    Of course, sometimes people need someone to stick the boot in when they're already down. Otherwise they might never get up.

    I'm not even sure why I wrote this, since the OP seems to be attacking something I find irritating in myself and other Fi-doms. It's probably the renowned INFP oversensitivity to criticism. :rolli:

Similar Threads

  1. Public Service Announcement On Password Security
    By highlander in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-02-2016, 08:58 AM
  2. What does it really mean to be Fi-dom?
    By Stansmith in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 10:09 PM
  3. [Fi] are Fi doms prone to paranoia?
    By prplchknz in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 02:08 PM
  4. Public Service Announcement to Future Superheroes
    By Qlip in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-28-2011, 01:46 AM
  5. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 12:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO