• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Public Service Announcement to Paranoid Fi doms

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
So do other people, including Fi users. Lots of people use these forum as an "outlet" and behave slightly differently than they would in their life. That pretty much sums up what's wrong with the Internet...you know,that, and pop-up ads.

Actually, I question your posts (or rather your methods) constantly and roll my eyes at your posts a lot. It usually stops there because it happens so much it wouldn't even be worth it. I actually began avoiding this thread when I saw as the days passed you became increasingly and increasingly more obnoxious. I should have stayed with that impulse.

But you purposely insult people. You purposely started this thread to create drama. Anyone can see that, not just NFPs. It's just that INFPs are more likely to see an insult even when you stop. There have been numerous occasions when you were being reasonable in other discussions that INFPs really were being ridiculous. However, in this thread, you were fucking trolling and provoking people, and you've already admitted it, so please stop it with the "oversensitivity" line.

What is up with your mission to convert NFPs to your way of thinking anyway? Fe dom messiah much?

Or, to convert it to Ti-Fe language: it ain't about you, son. Stop being a selfish ass and thinking of the board solely as it relates to your personal gain. Realize that it's just as much their board as it is your social experiment.

That's the last straightforward thing I have to say on the subject; from now on, it's just trolling the trolls.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
As I've explained before I use the forum as an outlet because I can experiment with people's reactions here without burning bridges with real people.

P.S. Someone with sharper Ni than me (who shall remain nameless) noticed your usage of the bolded words.

People on this forum are REAL people, we're all human beings here (well, except for the occasional evil robot...) and I'm sure it hasn't escaped you that people form "real" friendships and even lasting relationships via the Internet all of the time.

One of my friends put it as thus, "The Internet is the new barn dance or church social."

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The people here on the forum are real people, though. You can't say with certainty if or when the two will overlap. A little civility has no place here? Not offended; just curious.

I do use a little civility...sometimes. Other times I don't. I usually start off neutral with new people and go from there, but if you show what I perceive as oversensitivity, I'm probably going to poke at that for humor value/to make a point. If you met me in real life we'd probably get along just fine; the internet has different rules.

Yes, that's a good discernment on your part. I think perhaps you should refine your statements on Fi to say that likely hot buttons exist for individual Fi users whereby we turn extra scrutiny on the topic at hand if it alerts our personal radar. Not that we read something into EVERYTHING you say. But when you say something that sounds ill-informed, bigoted, or stereotypical we feel a need to peel away your generalization and reveal it as a falsehood.

Personally, I can get pretty ferocious and passionate in those situations.

Thanks for admitting this.

Sure they do, so do you. And don't turn back on me and say "of course I know that." ;)

Actually this part was just a smart ass correction of marm's grammar in a wall post she made to me. She said, "Everyone sees what they want to."

As an alternate conclusion, did it not occur to you that they all "know" better? That engaging in this type of dialogue is just a waste of their time, energy and emotion because they'll never be able to convince you otherwise? I'm just saying there may be many more reasons why they chose not to get involved. Many INFP's didn't get involved not because they saw rationality in your conclusions, but because they know from experience that this will be a hard, circular style argument where "feelings" wouldn't be a priority.

Could be, but I find it more likely that SFPs just don't go out of their way to get offended the way NFPs do because they're not trying so hard to read between the lines that they pick up messages that aren't there.

It takes two to tango, two to misunderstand, two to fight. Why add fuel? Why provoke? Again, not offended; just curious. It can't possibly be much fun at this point.

I think I've already explained this.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So do other people, including Fi users. Lots of people use these forum as an "outlet" and behave slightly differently than they would in their life. That pretty much sums up what's wrong with the Internet...you know,that, and pop-up ads.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that. The internet serves as an interesting simulated world, doesn't it? Fi users are just as free as everyone else to use the internet for social experiments, and I don't hold that against them.

Actually, I question your posts (or rather your methods) constantly and roll my eyes at your posts a lot. It usually stops there because it happens so much it wouldn't even be worth it. I actually began avoiding this thread when I saw as the days passed you became increasingly and increasingly more obnoxious. I should have stayed with that impulse.

Good idea; do that next time.

But you purposely insult people. You purposely started this thread to create drama. Anyone can see that, not just NFPs. It's just that INFPs are more likely to see an insult even when you stop. There have been numerous occasions when you were being reasonable in other discussions that INFPs really were being ridiculous. However, in this thread, you were fucking trolling and provoking people, and you've already admitted it, so please stop it with the "oversensitivity" line.

Both are true--sometimes I am trolling, but that doesn't mean INFPs are never overly sensitive. I'm not always trolling; it's part of the game because if I intentionally troll sometimes, but not all the time, then inevitably INFPs will read the wrong message into what I'm saying sometimes, which helps to illustrate the point that they read too much "between the lines" based on their own personal hunches about others' emotions. It helps to discredit these erroneous reads and show that you really can't read people's emotions very well over the internet.

I do believe that a lot of them are overly sensitive and I work to illustrate that through trolling sometimes and being sincere other times. But almost everyone in the thread now has admitted that I have a point here in that INFPs are overly sensitive to perceived criticism.

And yes, I play on that intentionally sometimes, but that doesn't mean INFPs aren't also overly sensitive. It's a combination of both.

What is up with your mission to convert NFPs to your way of thinking anyway? Fe dom messiah much?

Nah, I think the Fe dom messiah is probably Oprah. My Fe is obviously tertiary and not nearly as competent.

I don't think I can convert anyone, but I do like setting up NFPs to demonstrate their own fallacious tendencies to other types. Some people think it's funny, even if you don't--and I really don't think any genuine harm is being done. It's all in good fun.

P.S. Someone with sharper Ni than me (who shall remain nameless) noticed your usage of the bolded words.

People on this forum are REAL people, we're all human beings here (well, except for the occasional evil robot...) and I'm sure it hasn't escaped you that people form "real" friendships and even lasting relationships via the Internet all of the time.

One of my friends put it as thus, "The Internet is the new barn dance or church social."

Yep, I've met a number of people on the internet who ended up being real friends (or more.) If some asshole on the internet arguing over pop psychology topics is really offending you that badly, you're probably putting too much stock in my opinion.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually this part was just a smart ass correction of marm's grammar in a wall post she made to me. She said, "Everyone sees what they want to."

Everyone (or everybody, actually) is plural. So is "they."

You were correcting as though I had said "each person" or "a man." Plus, the best correction in that case would be "he or she" not "he" you sexist pig! ;)

Better luck next time.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Everyone (or everybody, actually) is plural. So is "they."

You were correcting as though I had said "each person" or "a man." Plus, the best correction in that case would be "he or she" not "he" you sexist pig! ;)

Better luck next time.

lol nope. "Everybody" is a collective pronoun, which gets a singular verb. Look it up, English champ. If it were plural, it wouldn't go with singular verbs like "is." Why don't you say, "Everybody are doing this"? Because collective nouns go with singular verbs.

This is a near ubiquitous grammatical mistake that not many people know about. You actually can't say, "I am taller than him" either; technically the correct form is, "I am taller than he [is.]" "I am taller than him is" doesn't work.

G

garbage

I do believe that a lot of them are overly sensitive and I work to illustrate that through trolling sometimes and being sincere other times. But almost everyone in the thread now has admitted that I have a point here in that INFPs are overly sensitive to perceived criticism.

This isn't your point; it's something that pretty much every NF description on the face of the planet points out. You are stating the obvious, so this entire effort of yours has made no contribution whatsoever to any greater understanding of the Feeling types.

I would say something like "you're right because you're stating what amounts to common knowledge," but you'd take that in some incorrectly ego-boosting way. So I won't.

Only slightly, but that's not what I meant. I meant that other people seeing them as selfish isn't the reason for balancing--it's more that some people see value in balance for its own sake, regardless of what others think about them.

I can't deny your anecdotes. However, my own anecdotes would tell me that complete selfishness doesn't get anyone very far and is considered unacceptable.

Jaguar

I could fertilize an entire country with the bullshit in this thread.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They is not a verb - it's a collective pronoun, too. You lose.

No I don't. I didn't say "They" was a verb. "They" is a plural pronoun, not a collective singular pronoun.

Observe:

MSwordgrammar1.jpg

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Some people think it's funny, even if you don't--and I really don't think any genuine harm is being done. It's all in good fun.

I suppose you believe that, since you've stated it. From my vantage point, I believe you have alienated many people, and not just INFP's.

More people just choose to stay away from you as a consequence than try to engage you in the interesting diversion of online conversation.

I think it's a Lose / Lose proposition all 'round.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No I don't. I didn't say "They" was a verb. "They" is a plural pronoun, not a collective singular pronoun.

Observe:

MSwordgrammar1.jpg

A few questions:

1) Do you use a General American dialect?

2) Do most people who are as obsessed with correcting grammar as you happen to be also make the mistake of ending a sentence with a preposition?

3) Why did you post this on my wall and in the thread?

I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with you.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I suppose you believe that, since you've stated it. From my vantage point, I believe you have alienated many people, and not just INFP's.

More people just choose to stay away from you as a consequence than try to engage you in the interesting diversion of online conversation.

I think it's a Lose / Lose proposition all 'round.

Think of it as me weeding out the people I wouldn't want to deal with anyway. Some people around here enjoy competitive arguing the same way I do and recognize that I rarely actually mean it personally. I also suspect that I'd have been perma-banned by now if the mod staff (which I must admit is generally pretty balanced, despite my occasional complaints about overmoderation) really thought I was completely out of line that often.

Others, well...they can avoid me if they want to. Honestly if you guys think I'm that bad you should see INTP central; that place is like me on crack. It's too abrasive even for me to enjoy it, and that's really saying something.

A variety of posters have expressed appreciation for my posts and my writing style, and not just hard ass NTs! Jeffster has stated that I'm one of his favorite posters (something I take pride in, as I very much enjoy Jeffster 95% of the time), and I talk to blackcat on AIM regularly--both of them are ISFPs, which is an Fi dominant type!

INFPs tend to overestimate the amount of alienation I'm doing simply because they find me so grossly offensive, and I kinda get off on that to be honest. Several of you have written scaremongering letters telling me that I'll soon find myself totally alienating everybody if I don't heed their warnings and pay more attention to people's feelings, and yet I still get overwhelmingly positive rep comments and have ISFPs (again I will stress, Fi doms!!) openly showing support.

All of this contributes to my conclusion that some INFPs are just too damn sensitive, and tend to universalize that perspective by assuming everyone else must share it.

They don't seem to realize that not everybody cares nearly as much about simulatedworld's abrasiveness as they do.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A few questions:

1) Do you use a General American dialect?

Born 'n' raised in the south, m'dear. (Not that I take much pride in that.)

2) Do most people who are as obsessed with correcting grammar as you happen to be also make the mistake of ending a sentence with a preposition?

I don't know what you speak of.

3) Why did you post this on my wall and in the thread?

I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with you.

gg n00b

There's a lot wrong with me. But there's a lot right too--I promise.

If I may ironically quote a certain INFP's signature that I happen to like,

"If I seem a little strange, it's because, well--I am."

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
They don't seem to realize that not everybody cares nearly as much about simulatedworld's abrasiveness as they do.

Fair enough; I can't comment on that. But regardless, you miss out on receiving many warm :hug: and happy :) every day!

:D

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Plus too - look how much fun you and I are having - would you have truly wanted to have missed out on that? ;)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fair enough; I can't comment on that. But regardless, you miss out on receiving many warm :hug: and happy :) every day!

:D

It's cool; I get plenty of that from the people who aren't busy imagining epic misanthropy and dreaming up bizarre hidden emotional motivations for why I am the way I am.

Besides, as a staunch Ti-er I much prefer affirmations of my logic and insight to an emoticon-based reward system. I'm simply uninterested in the approval of most INFPs.

Plus too - look how much fun you and I are having - would you have truly wanted to have missed out on that? ;)

This little fun experience required you to step out of your Fi box and talk to me in my own language without whining until doomsday about what a dick I am--and for this I commend you. If you hadn't been able to do this, none of it would have happened.

Indeed, I've taken note and I dare say this little shindig has boosted your credibility in my mind a little bit. Good work, but...don't expect me to turn into a sappy Fi monster as a result. :nice:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
This little fun experience required you to step out of your Fi box and talk to me in my own language without whining until doomsday about what a dick I am--and for this I commend you. If you hadn't been able to do this, none of it would have happened.

I worked very hard to help you step out of your box too - the magic started happening when you got real, and we could connect without the flotsam of hyperbole or ad hominem attacks.

And I appreciate that you met me there.

Indeed, I've taken note and I dare say this little shindig has boosted your credibility in my mind a little bit. Good work, but...don't expect me to turn into a sappy Fi monster as a result. :nice:

Myself, I already knew you had much to offer, but don't expect me not to call you out on being abrasive in the future. ;)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I had been putting off going through this thread. I just read it now in its entirety. :shock: *collapses into a heap*

One of your major gripes, SW, seems to be that INFPs are oversensitive and have read too much into what you are saying. You may not have consciously intended your words to be interpreted as attacks but they have collectively been so. Allow me to respond:

1. I, and many other INFPs here, saw your comments about 'paranoid Fi doms' as a veiled attack on Fi-doms in general. As much as you have denied this, your negative comments about Fi throughout the thread have only sought to confirm and justify this inference. How unfair is it then, that you should continually accuse us of being hysterical and oversensitive when we attempt to defend ourselves?

2. Fi is the most difficult to understand of the cognitive functions. It is so because it is concerned with the 'essence' of things - something unmeasurable and undefinable. I can appreciate your frustration with Fi but you must try and give it the benefit of the doubt - make the effort to see where we are coming from. You started this thread in reaction to some (rather unnecessary) comments made about the evils of MBTI. Surely, as a defender of MBTI you can appreciate that, if anything, MBTI is about learning about how different types think in order to better understand and accept their behaviour. Maybe you need to keep this in mind more. I would rather that you asked real questions about the reasons behind our behaviour, than, essentially, complaining about the fact we are not more ENTP-like. We can't help this.

3. You look at our decisions and see no rhyme or reason but I assure you that, despite making decisions based on feelings, there is a kind of logic to it. It might not makes sense to you in the way Ti or Te does because we use different methodologies. I hate to reference myself (ugh) but I made an explaination of this on another thread.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/fluff-zone/20492-signs-you-have-lousy-fi-8.html#post942563

You earlier mentioned an example:
Well, what if ignoring what seems logical to me and listening to your feelings is going against the very fabric of my identity?

As one INFP friend told me, "Listen, if somebody you're working with has a feeling about something, you just have to go with that and respect it, no matter how unreasonable it is!"...

Frankly I find this double standard unfair and I resent it. It's apparently okay for Fi-ers to "just be who they are" and operate in nonstop Fi mode, ignoring Thinking; in fact, this attitude is glorified and encouraged by popular media--but it's not okay for Ti-ers to "just be who we are" and ignore Feeling because that makes us insensitive assholes
I interpreted your friends advice completely differently. I don't think that he meant that your way of thinking is wrong. I think what he meant was that you just can't argue with some people - they are going to believe what they want, no matter what you say and do. I also hate it when people have stupid and unreasonable beliefs, but sometimes you just have to let it go, and put up with it. It seems like you friend was trying to help you to deal more diplomatically with others that are different to yourself, rather than attempting to undermine your character. And believe me, if anyone is going to understand your individual needs, its an Fi user.