• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why MBTI is Death for Society

Mole

Permabanned
my goal is to dialog

I must admit I feel uncomfortable with your goal to dialogue.

I never feel you are engaging me in a dialogue. It's as though you want to engage me in your emotional agenda when it is plain to me that we live in two emotionally different worlds.

A dialogue would acknowledge that these two different emotional worlds exist. But you finished our last conversation by saying you enjoyed it. But I didn't share your enjoyment.

Normally I am happy and exuberant but I don't feel I can share my emotional life with you.

Of course it is slightly mysterious why not. But I don't know you, so I can only guess.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
The MBTI segments the mind into 8 pieces and 16 more pieces for each archetype. We call it "self-actualization", though the only thing to be actualized is a projected system. Those who inspect the system are too slothful to inspect themselves; so they wallow in self-stagnation - attempting to improve the system rather than themselves.

When the brain of the individual is lobotomized in such a fashion as the functional theory, the synapses fire and redirect signals from sender to sender, rather than from sender to receiver. Perhaps the signals are diffused in the empty cavities of division.

Likewise, each archetype worship themselves; not themselves per se, but an idolized version of themselves. The NFs with the NFs, the NTs with the NTs, the SJs with the SJs, and the SPs with the SPs.

Consequentially, those who worship MBTI become confused and convoluted like the segments of the brain. So when each segment worships itself, the societal brain deteriorates and falls like Rome did after its warlords succumbed to greed.

Society operates like the individual operates, as Maslow's hierarchy of needs suggests: The SPs provide physiological needs, the SJs provide security, while the NTs and NFs accentuate self-actualization and creativity. The individual may accomplish every need for sustenance, but the whole cannot operate without specialized individuals.

To avoid this depraved and false self-worship, we must reconcile ourselves and do away with the dialect of MBTI -- as the 8 functions are like the 8 colonies.

Hear, hear!

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh...wow...just...wow...:shock:

MBTI works for some people, and it doesn't work for others.

For example, I've had to come to terms with the fact that I'm either too incompetent or stupid to be able to apply the correct principles to myself. Oh well. I'll try again in two weeks or so.

However, even though I've found it less helpful for my own personal growth because I just need more information, I find it very helpful in dealing with others. It has shown me that different people have different motivations and thought processes (which I already knew) but the system shows us why and how to go about it.

Some people find it very helpful for their own personal growth. So I do not think it is negative for them.

Others are quite hampered by the system and should find another means of self-actualization (to use the term you utilized).

Everyone has to decide for himself or herself if the system works for him/her. If not, a new one needs to be found, or else it surely can be detrimental.

Nonetheless, I do not see how that fact is really any different from any other system. Therefore, I do not believe MBTI is inherently evil (no system is, really) but rather just individual reactions to the system.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Intresting to theorize about would be, if you have a society in which every person would know their mbti type and the whole world of people would stand explained by the system.

Would that be the death of all good books ?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Intresting to theorize about would be, if you have a society in which every person would know their mbti type and the whole world of people would stand explained by the system.

Would that be the death of all good books ?

Thank goodness no one can spoil the mystery.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
oww inside jokes, I thought maybe we create a secret system only our little clique knows about. What about a secret handshake that if done wrong involves a slap in the face for the one who did it wrong ? :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
One day our party will rule the world ! Never question the system !!!

Walks away in unwavering *pole in the ass attitude* :D

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Victor, how do you prove a preference to be true?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Victor, how do you prove a preference to be true?
This is one reason MBTI tends to default in the direction of observable behavior and expression of thoughts. That any person ventures to type another through test or observation suggests that there is external evidence of a preference. Proving tends to attempt to see if measuring these observations produces consistent results.

Since our brains have dedicated hardware for processing and regulating emotion and thought, there could at some point be the possibility of brain scans to demonstrate what areas of the brain light up in response to certain stimuli that could prove certain kinds of internal preferences for cognitive processing. As far as I know this is not used in relationship to MBTI. I don't think MBTI correlates its poles according to brain structure.

Basically I would say that as long as the implications of being some type are not being measured, then it doesn't matter whether or not you can measure a preference. If having a label that indicates a preference impacts employment opportunities and other measured outcomes, then there sure as hell better be an equally valid way of measuring that preference.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tater. Any system of thought, code of beliefs, or even a pure natural science can be misused, abused, and be of more harm than good.

Religion has screwed up way more people's minds than MBTI could ever hope to. Science has been used to commit heinous crimes. Wacko nut jobs like Jim Jones had his followers drink poisoned Kool-Aid, as did the followers of the Heaven's Gate cult.

Methinks you are unecessarily villifying MBTI. The people who stagnate their own growth as a result of putting too much faith in MBTI are responsible for their own lack of self actualization, as are those that place too much faith in any other method of thinking or system of beliefs.

+789462

Hear, hear!

Anybody ever see that South Park episode about the Mormons? "DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUUUUMB!" keeps running through my head.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What would be the most basic question of them all. How much freedom is good for men ? ;)

G

Ginkgo

On the label of the INFP box it says "Resist labels."

This is an important talent. For example, people who identify very strongly with being someone who performs tasks would easily end up living the traditional life of quiet desperation if there were not sometimes a voice to hear forcefully calling attention to identity.

I know everything.

Society is riddled with labels as Flatland is riddled with shapes. So for each shape, there is a purpose in society- like the pieces to a puzzle.

But some of us become amorphous because labeling a homeostatic call card is death to us.

So we are labeled as amorphous instead, as we define our niche in the world.

But at least I do not wear a silent label; for silence speaks volumes about a person.

I might know the teacher
The teacher might know me
But as a student I should question
question question
until I find peace​

G

Ginkgo

So, Tater...I get your point. I went out with a guy 3 times who was VERY into MBTI and it seemed not only that he was living his life by an ENFP script (which to him was the bestest of the best), but also shoving people in to their type "script". I had to start saying to him after every sentence, "...and it's not because I am an ENFJ, it because I am Jo." It was insanity. For him was MBTI dangerous...yes. For your average person...I don’t think so. Just like lots of good things, people (desperate people, disturbed people, unhealthy people) can find ways to misuse MBTI to serve their purposes (to prove they are superior, unique, as a defense to keep them from being hurt by "bad" types, blah, blah). Perhaps this is something you did and now you think you are saving all from ourselves?

On the note of superiority, I find your comments incredibly contradictory. You speak of how MBTI is a way for people to feel superior. I think perhaps, you are the superior one, my friend. Your post are riddled with the word "should". People should do this, people should not do that. You are making an assumption that all people should be like you. Tsk, tsk. You are assuming that your way of being is superior to others. You take for granted that people think, feel, live and react as you do. Not the case. There are those of us who can responsibly and usefully apply MBTI to awareness of self and others and use it as a tool for growth. If it is not working for you, then perhaps you can find something that does.

There was a comment about attacking the OP. I feel (be it American or not) that when you condescend to people, it is an expected reaction. Now, if you wrote, this is how I feel about MBTI, this is how I think it effects people and society, what's your opinion? And then been open to hearing and more importantly understanding that everyone is not like you and therefore capable of having a different experience, the response would have been much different.

I find your posts very narcissistic, to say the least. Feel what you want to feel, believe what you want to believe, but realize you are not an authority...you are just a regular person like the rest of us. You can choose to sit on your throne and separate yourself from the rest of us (both in this forum and in real life) with your doctrine of how things “should” be, but just know that when you elevate yourself to that level of superiority, it is very isolating…it is lonely being king.

I do not claim superiority; nor am I as radical as one might think.

But radicals teeter on the edge of society to define a spectrum of opinion.

Moderates meander in the middle with shifting bias.

So here we find MBTI assent-ers like simulatedworld and MBTI dissenters like Victor and I to create a spectrum.

So you think that I have digested the gumption of MBTI and spit it at others like a king.

In reality, I have only chewed the cud of MBTI enough to know that it holds the capacity to be harmful.

Alarmists are welcome here, just as you are welcome, just as anyone who adheres to the rules.

Because of this I do believe we should all be grateful we have lips to move and fingers to type - and even this conduit of information we call the internet.

DuoRCN

I think one of the main things that bothers me about the dissenters is how self-righteous they are about their opinion. I can see why, being that you're on a forum dedicated to this topic. I do feel however, that if this forum didn't exist, or you never heard of typology, you would be on another forum, perhaps a video game forum, proclaiming that video games make mindless machines of us all. In essence, you take your belief, your highly held opinion, attribute it only to the fantastic and brilliant workings of your own mind, and then post with the belief that everyone else holds the "lower opinion" and that they cannot take the evidence or the missing information surrounding MBTI and come to their own conclusion. And then, considering your opinions, you don't post any links or connections to other information that people can check out for themselves. Only you are good enough to give us this information, and we must take you at your word that you are right. And the thing that bothers me the most is how you attempt to make your words reminiscent of prose. You are not special. You do not speak honey. The way you dress up your opinions is laughable, as you attempt to coerce and guide the mind away from it in your responses.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think one of the main things that bothers me about the dissenters is how self-righteous they are about their opinion. I can see why, being that you're on a forum dedicated to this topic. I do feel however, that if this forum didn't exist, or you never heard of typology, you would be on another forum, perhaps a video game forum, proclaiming that video games make mindless machines of us all. In essence, you take your belief, your highly held opinion, attribute it only to the fantastic and brilliant workings of your own mind, and then post with the belief that everyone else holds the "lower opinion" and that they cannot take the evidence or the missing information surrounding MBTI and come to their own conclusion. And then, considering your opinions, you don't post any links or connections to other information that people can check out for themselves. Only you are good enough to give us this information, and we must take you at your word that you are right. And the thing that bothers me the most is how you attempt to make your words reminiscent of prose. You are not special. You do not speak honey. The way you dress up your opinions is laughable, as you attempt to coerce and guide the mind away from it in your responses.

In the light of that kind of stereotype mbti does look like an electric car

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Tater. Any system of thought, code of beliefs, or even a pure natural science can be misused, abused, and be of more harm than good.

Religion has screwed up way more people's minds than MBTI could ever hope to. Science has been used to commit heinous crimes. Wacko nut jobs like Jim Jones had his followers drink poisoned Kool-Aid, as did the followers of the Heaven's Gate cult.

Methinks you are unecessarily villifying MBTI. The people who stagnate their own growth as a result of putting too much faith in MBTI are responsible for their own lack of self actualization, as are those that place too much faith in any other method of thinking or system of beliefs.

This exactly. Very well said.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This kind of Fi-driven anti-typology paranoia sounds an awful lot like the anti-liberal paranoia you hear from bat shit crazy conservative talk radio.

"Death for society"? Really? I remember Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly, etc. all using phrases very similar to that to describe what would happen if Obama won the election, or if we didn't place a national ban on abortion/gay marriage, or if we don't abolish the income tax, or [insert conservative cause here.]

For them it's Te paranoia, and for you it's the Fi version.

HINT: Lots of people imagine that the apocalypse is imminent if their personal values aren't heeded. Lots of people are also delusional. :laugh:

And guess what? For all their rabid fear-mongering, they've yet to produce an apocalypse. Obama is in office, abortion is still legal, and people are still using typology--and still no apocalypse! Go fucking figure, huh?

G

Ginkgo

This kind of Fi-driven anti-typology paranoia sounds an awful lot like the anti-liberal paranoia you hear from bat shit crazy conservative talk radio.

"Death for society"? Really? I remember Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly, etc. all using phrases very similar to that to describe what would happen if Obama won the election, or if we didn't place a national ban on abortion/gay marriage, or if we don't abolish the income tax, or [insert conservative cause here.]

For them it's Te paranoia, and for you it's the Fi version.

HINT: Lots of people imagine that the apocalypse is imminent if their personal values aren't heeded. Lots of people are also delusional. :laugh:

And guess what? For all their rabid fear-mongering, they've yet to produce an apocalypse. Go fucking figure, huh?

Like a clinician, you think you have opened up a causeway to my mind; but the door is hardly ajar.

The serious like to be taken seriously; but why so serious in the first place?

Most prophecies are self-fulfilled; so it is the duty of the prophet to bring awareness before society chokes on its own pill.

Some prophets are even payed, while most cry like the boy who cried wolf. So thank you for paying attention.