• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why MBTI is Death for Society

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I pay for it. If you don't like the spouting then get out of the fountain.

What exactly does being "coddled" mean to you? Thinking about MBTI?

If I think you are full of it I shouldn't be posting?

Qre:us

This is true.

Just as those who take Christianity seriously are those who oppose it.

And just as those who take Islam seriously are those who oppose it - indeed they are crazy brave, like Ayaam Hirsi Ali.

And this is also true of Quantum Mechanics as it was opposed by Albert Einstein.

This is also true of slavery as it was opposed by the House of Commons in 1833.

And this is also true of organised misogyny as it was opposed by Australia and New Zealand in 1904.

And this is also true of child, sexual abuse as it was opposed by our Criminal Courts in the 1990s.

And this is also true of superstition as it was opposed by the Enlightenment from 1688 to 1788.

And naturally it is also true of MBTI.

And this is also true of birth control as it was opposed by the Catholic Church.

And this is also true of the age of consent as it is opposed by NAMBLA.

And this is also true of punishment as it is opposed by the criminals.

Let the opposition reign free!!!!

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I don't know if the tater-tot has pi**ed anyone off lately because the reaction on this post is pretty swift and strong, but what I *think* he is trying to say (aside from all the dramatic prose) does have some merit to it.

I have seen it happen here and IRL - people lean on their MBTI archetype in a negative fashion, not using it to help them appreciate their innate abilities and develop their deficiencies but as a justification for any particular "bad" behaviour or for whatever barriers they feel limited by in their life. To use your "type" as an excuse for anything is very self-limiting.

Aside from that, the OP comes across more like a meaningless rant, so if there's a need to explore this thought more fully, it might better evolve in a less contentious way.

This thread will hit the graveyard pretty fast I'm sure otherwise.

Mole

Permabanned
Breaking the Spell

"The MBTI is analogous to child abuse. Why won't anyone take me seriously!?"
-- Victor

MBTI was concocted by two village astrologers, Mrs Briggs and her daughter, Mrs Myers, to induct women in the war machine in WW II.

The military found it so useful they have used it to hypnotise recruits ever since WW II.

And seeing how useful it is to hypnotise and control recruits, business has used it on employees for about seventy years.

But not content with that, this site is devoted to hypnotising school children with MBTI.

And remember school children are financially and emotionally dependent on their parents. And so legally are not able to give consent. And consent from their parents is never obtained.

And worse school children are hypnotised with MBTI in their bedrooms behind the backs of their legal guardians.

So here MBTI is a spell being cast on school children.

And it is simply our duty to break the spell.

G

Ginkgo

What exactly does being "coddled" mean to you? Thinking about MBTI?

If I think you are full of it I shouldn't be posting?

So you think you are playing in an spouting sprinkler of piss??

The one who ignores his own convictions, strengths, or weaknesses in light of the MBTI is like the criminal who bribes the judge or the jury and is relieved of his sentence, or the newlywed wife who spends her honeymoon in bear infested forests to have the ranger shoot the bear who ate her husband.

When someone throws a safety net to rescue you from your own cliff diving, then you are being coddled.

So when a society is constantly coddled, it becomes complacent. It finds excuses to avoid integration. Luckily, society has not adopted MBTI as a means to articulate De Jour segregation; but it has and will find other means.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most people I know, when they have encountered MBTI and identify with a type, react like this: "Hey, that describes me pretty well! Interesting! Now, to move along with my life..." And they don't think about it very much.

Now, I, personally, use it for self-improvement by taking note of the negative aspects THAT I IDENTIFY WITH (take note that not all stereotypical aspects of ESTJs apply to me, e.g. being overly aggressive, which I am not), and I actively try to fix them!

Now how stereotypically ESTJ does THAT sound??? Answer: Not at all! Therefore, MBTI has NOT corrupted me the way it has supposedly corrupted pretty much everyone who has taken the test, because I'm thinking and acting outside of the ESTJ box.

Of course, I have no way of knowing that what I'm doing is the average, but I'm SURE that the way people act on TypeC is NOT going to be the average either, because we don't represent the overall population. We don't represent them because we are NERDS about this sort of thing. Not everyone who takes the MBTI test and is interested in it will go to the level of nerdiness that we all went to by simply joining this site and posting on it.

In other words, before I believe what you say, I want some STATISTICS. I'm not going to believe that sort of claim until I have evidence in front of me, and the OP seemed like less of a scientific report and more of a philosophical document. And, of course, my problem with philosophical writings is that it's SPECULATION and there's NO WAY OF PROVING IT.

Qre:us

Break free of the Typology Central Bubble...discuss reality!

Most people I know, when they have encountered MBTI and identify with a type, react like this: "Hey, that describes me pretty well! Interesting! Now, to move along with my life..." And they don't think about it very much.

Now, I, personally, use it for self-improvement by taking note of the negative aspects THAT I IDENTIFY WITH (take note that not all stereotypical aspects of ESTJs apply to me, e.g. being overly aggressive, which I am not), and I actively try to fix them!

Now how stereotypically ESTJ does THAT sound??? Answer: Not at all! Therefore, MBTI has NOT corrupted me the way it has supposedly corrupted pretty much everyone who has taken the test, because I'm thinking and acting outside of the ESTJ box.

Of course, I have no way of knowing that what I'm doing is the average, but I'm SURE that the way people act on TypeC is NOT going to be the average either, because we don't represent the overall population. We don't represent them because we are NERDS about this sort of thing. Not everyone who takes the MBTI test and is interested in it will go to the level of nerdiness that we all went to by simply joining this site and posting on it.

In other words, before I believe what you say, I want some STATISTICS. I'm not going to believe that sort of claim until I have evidence in front of me, and the OP seemed like less of a scientific report and more of a philosophical document. And, of course, my problem with philosophical writings is that it's SPECULATION and there's NO WAY OF PROVING IT.

Great points. :yes:

I think the people on this forum forget the great bias and influence that the whole set-up of the forum inherently introduces, where there's groupings due to types, insult-throwing according to types, this steadfast belief in realities of types, as this static, concrete thing.

However, I highly doubt that most of us, when we click "log out" and enter the real world, are this "typist" in how we engage with others in the real world, to make the OP a non-issue in terms of the "real society" outside this forum.

Again, those, like the OP, who is taking this seriously, believes (and is commenting on) certain "realities" that only exists because of the dynamic of this forum; not in any real way, to the society at large beyond this internet group.

I may have issues with those leading with Te, but, my father is an ESTJ, one of my really good friends is an ENTJ, and in our real life interaction, their importance in my life, as actual people, supercedes my elitist disdain for Te as a leading function. Or, other such nonsense. I can anticipate where they're coming from but I don't think this then gets turned into a hindrance from my end, because having a good relationship with them is more important than my bias against an MBTI type (which I don't have, anyway, just an example).

Mole

Permabanned
For Your Own Good

In seventy years not one double blind experiment has been done with MBTI.

So quite naturally I smell a rat.

And as I look around to see what is decaying I find that MBTI is not even a valid and reliable personality test. And if it were it should never be applied by oneself to oneself.

No, MBTI is a form of hypnosis used by the military and business to control recruits and employees. But note, no university uses MBTI to hypnotise and control students.

But now they are expanding from military recruits and employees to school children.

They are not only drugging school children but they are employing MBTI to hypnotise school children in their bedrooms - for their own good of course.

A good place to start to understand this child abuse is Alice Miller's book, "For Your Own Good".

G

Ginkgo

One can identify themselves with any individual construct under the sun. Have you not heard of the Forer effect?

The Forer effect occurs when one recollects experiences and compares them with a given description. Afterward, this person will associate the description with the self.

However, as humans, we have all contracted a multitude of experiences. Naturally, we must conclude that we are human because of these common experiences.

Eventually, all conjectures about these MBTI archetypes disintegrate into the fact that we are all human.

Humans stand out amidst nature; so there are many like myself who claim that we have inherit divinity.

However, some humans seek godhood; so they dehumanize others and differentiate them. The ultimate differentiation is that of the mind because our cognitive faculties distinguish us from the rest of nature.

As a result, MBTI , IQ tests, and other cognitive scales are the ultimate tools for which someone can dehumanize another.

Ethereal

MBTI Type
INTP
This is a very old argument, and one of the cornerstones of MBTI. However I find this one to be fairly limited in scope and actual meat, as MBTI does not seem to be what is wrecking countries or causing society to spiral downwards, which appears to be the OP's fear.

As to the OP, humanity deserves a little more credit. Mammals are highly adaptive creatures, and earth is a rough planet to live on. Humans have had to rise past some serious hurdles to get where we are today, as have the societies we have built. Societies have been through far worse than a personality test, and there are plenty of tools with which humans can utilize in the pursuit of self-destruction.

Besides, the only empirical evidence for such dangers rest only in the online forums. Societies can adapt to just about anything, in many ways. Hell, if MBTI is so dangerous as to title a post about "death for society", then how is INTPc still around after all these years. Try as they might, they have yet to destroy themselves... :coffee:

Ethereal

MBTI Type
INTP
In seventy years not one double blind experiment has been done with MBTI.

So quite naturally I smell a rat.

And as I look around to see what is decaying I find that MBTI is not even a valid and reliable personality test. And if it were it should never be applied by oneself to oneself.

No, MBTI is a form of hypnosis used by the military and business to control recruits and employees. But note, no university uses MBTI to hypnotise and control students.

But now they are expanding from military recruits and employees to school children.

They are not only drugging school children but they are employing MBTI to hypnotise school children in their bedrooms - for their own good of course.

A good place to start to understand this child abuse is Alice Miller's book, "For Your Own Good".

I was first typed by a career services counselor at a university event. We were given an abridged version. The full thing, which would be administered via individual meetings with career services, costs $20.

Furthermore, I never heard of MBTI when I was in primary school. In fact, one of the facets of type theory is that the full four letter code is not applicable to children, as they are not fully developed.

And why would they be teaching this in schools?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^ I think Victor's point is that any number of "type yourself" resources are available online.

Many who post here are in their teens. Doubtful (m)any of them have taken any version of the "official" test, let alone one administered in a controlled environment by an accredited individual.

On a personal side-note, I am glad I had never even heard of MBTI before I was 24 or 25. I doubt I had the maturity to use it as a tool for self-growth as opposed to some sort of crutch to lean upon.

Ethereal

MBTI Type
INTP
^ I think Victor's point is that any number of "type yourself" resources are available online.

Many who post here are in their teens. Doubtful (m)any of them have taken any version of the "official" test, let alone administered in a controlled environment by an accredited individual.

On a personal side-note, I am glad I had never even heard of MBTI before I was 24 or 25. I doubt I had the maturity to use it as a tool for self-growth as opposed to some sort of crutch to lean upon.

Sure, they are, but they are not being spoon-fed to our kids. Plenty of things are available online, much of which is certainly more dehumanizing than MBTI. And this is an online forum, thus the web-savvy younger generations will more likely be posting, but there is still diversity in age groups.

On the second part, I think you hit the nail on the head. Proper usage of any tool requires maturity...

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
And why would they be teaching this in schools?

Both of my kids were "typed" in high school - one when they wanted to volunteer to serve abroad, and the other as part of a "psychology" experiment. I doubt anyone involved was actually qualified to make any assessment nor did they use the actual MBTI.

Sure, they are, but they are not being spoon-fed to our kids. Plenty of things are available online, much of which is certainly more dehumanizing than MBTI. And this is an online forum, thus the web-savvy younger generations will more likely be posting, but there is still diversity in age groups.

Agreed @bold.

And, I just think that when one is young one is looking to find where they "fit" and that leads to a danger of using MBTI somewhat like a horoscope, to try to predict the future, who you should date, explain the reason why you were scared during a test etc.

So as you so aptly pointed out, maturity in tool usage is essential.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
As a result, MBTI , IQ tests, and other cognitive scales are the ultimate tools for which someone can dehumanize another.

I'm sure looks, money, job achievement, education level, material possessions and many others are also in there - or do you think MBTI is a better tool for qualifying and dehumanizing others?

You are also assuming MBTI has some sort of "better" and "worse than" scale. Can you please tell me that scale, I seem to have missed it.

I think lumping an entire group of people who are using a personality tool and throwing accusations about their personal growth at them as a whole is more dehumanizing than what you claim is actually dehumanizing. You can dehumanize people from all MBTI types much more effectively the way you are doing it though, so stay the course.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A

Doubtful they are ULTIMATE TOOLS, but they can be official-looking ones.

The dehumanizing activity here is to post in absolutes.

Ethereal

MBTI Type
INTP
Both of my kids were "typed" in high school - one when they wanted to volunteer to serve abroad, and the other as part of a "psychology" experiment. I doubt anyone involved was actually qualified to make any assessment nor did they use the actual MBTI.

Interesting. I graduated HS in 2007. Every time I look back at the decrepit system, infested with corruption and incompetence, I get more and more worried about those still in it.

Another note about the dangers of MBTI is that this tool truly can be used to hypnotize, enslave, entrance or whatnot others. However it is a tool. To use a tool there must be intent, the tool itself will not do anything unless given a driving force. There are plenty of tools in the shed, many of which are far sharper, and more virulently geared towards death...

And if we are afraid of our children misusing tools, then how about we show them how to use it rather than let uncaring strangers in uncaring systems implant it in our children in all the wrong ways...