• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why MBTI is Death for Society

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Death is a bit dramatic, society is more resilient than that. I'd say it's more like society's ingrown toenail or society's unsightly mole.

G

Ginkgo

I truly think that MBTI has the potential to inhibit the abilities of an individual. I also think it creates an unnecessary prejudice, especially when ignorance about the system is shuffled into the concoction. So we attempt to scrounge up correlations between MBTI and every facet of life. In the end, it's all subjective and fallible, but most do not treat it as such. Irrationality is a tyrant.

I'm not that vehemently opposed to MBTI. It is the least of our worries. If anything, we shouldn't attempt to bind individuals of individual abilities to preconceived slates. Instead, people should introspect and process their preferences in an attempt to set a chart for their success. After they change and develop, they should repeat the process. They might walk the road less traveled, though they might not.

Carl Jung's intentions were to accentuate the substance of the individual, but I think Briggs and Meyers detracted from the individual. Likewise, Carl Jung's theories were based off of inductive reasoning, dissecting himself and others. As a result, the holistic view of societal potential was lost, and the individual was lost with it.

G

Ginkgo

whoa.gif

Also, on behalf of the SPs and SJs (less so): using Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs as a comparison, is quite insulting to these two temperments who are then "wallowing" at the bottom of the pyramid, having yet to achieve the top tier of self-actualization, etc. As if, the higher level needs only exists in NTs and NFs. And, since, one cannot get to the top of the pyramid without having all the bottom needs met, this makes NFs and NTs, some idealized "healthy" humans, implicitly then having all the bottom tiers' needs met, and the SJs and SPs are stuck at the bottom.

Finding common words in other theories that match with the words used in MBTI, etc., lingo, is kinda reaching...a lot. Death to wild analogies of MBTI. I call bullshit!

Gracias.

This was not my intent. My intent was to draw a comparison between society and the individual. When you deprecate the individual, you sever the reciprocal relationship between society and the individual. It's all connected.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I can't reveal too much in public, but let's just say the cult has its leaders and it has its followers. But if you have something to trade, we could talk in the back room.

Move along, citizens. Move along.

Did I just get invited to the back room? You better get serious about this thread!!!!!!!

G

Ginkgo

Nah. An individual has the potential to inhibit her own abilities. No matter what tools she uses.

rest TL;DR.:D

And therefore the individual should arbitrate his/her own abilities, rather than making the conscious decision to refer to a personality map. Sometimes maps have uncharted territories. In conclusion, self-accountability should not be maimed. When you make a statement like "oh, I'm an Fe user, so I can't do that", you're limiting your worth. You're trying to play a poker game with a minimal hand; even though all 52 cards are in your back pocket. So you simultaneously lose the game while blaming the system.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
If someone is doing that with MBTI they are going to do it with something else. "I'm blonde so I don't understand your joke (giggle, giggle)"

If people are as weak as you act like they are how are you going to be able to help them?

VagrantFarce

And therefore the individual should arbitrate his/her own abilities, rather than making the conscious decision to refer to a personality map. Sometimes maps have uncharted territories. In conclusion, self-accountability should not be maimed. When you make a statement like "oh, I'm an Fe user, so I can't do that", you're limiting your worth. You're trying to play a poker game with a minimal hand; even though all 52 cards are in your back pocket. So you simultaneously lose the game while blaming the system.

I truly think that MBTI has the potential to inhibit the abilities of an individual. I also think it creates an unnecessary prejudice, especially when ignorance about the system is shuffled into the concoction. So we attempt to scrounge up correlations between MBTI and every facet of life. In the end, it's all subjective and fallible, but most do not treat it as such. Irrationality is a tyrant.

I'm not that vehemently opposed to MBTI. It is the least of our worries. If anything, we shouldn't attempt to bind individuals of individual abilities to preconceived slates. Instead, people should introspect and process their preferences in an attempt to set a chart for their success. After they change and develop, they should repeat the process. They might walk the road less traveled, though they might not.

Carl Jung's intentions were to accentuate the substance of the individual, but I think Briggs and Meyers detracted from the individual. Likewise, Carl Jung's theories were based off of inductive reasoning, dissecting himself and others. As a result, the holistic view of societal potential was lost, and the individual was lost with it.

IxxP

p.s.

[youtube=RMLwUItWmYo].[/youtube]

G

Ginkgo

If someone is doing that with MBTI they are going to do it with something else. "I'm blonde so I don't understand your joke (giggle, giggle)"

If people are as weak as you act like they are how are you going to be able to help them?

If they're too weak to sift information that I or anyone else offers them, then I cannot be held accountable for their actions. Some people are too spoon-fed to emancipate themselves from being coddled. Others might read what I say and comprehend. I'm going to speak out because that's what I feel I was put here to do. If you're not willing to vocalize, or even resound a message you agree with, then you're betraying the mouth you were born with. Simple as that.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Some people are too spoon-fed to emancipate themselves from being coddled.

How exactly are these people being spoonfed and coddled? How "hard" does someone's life have to be to not be? Are you not spoonfed and coddled? You are tossing out words and they are very weak.

G

Ginkgo

How exactly are these people being spoonfed and coddled? How "hard" does someone's life have to be to not be? Are you not spoonfed and coddled? You are tossing out words and they are very weak.

Everyone is somewhat coddled; like a cub who is nourished by the mother bear. People should know when to wean themselves; and so when you cling to an MBTI archetype, you are like a fetus that clings to a placenta. But this is not any coddling. It is a dissonance between the self and the actions of the self, like the child who steals candy and rebukes "The candy made me do it! It was so yummy looking!"

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Where do you live? Who pays for your college?

You are spouting crap just to spout it.

Mole

Permabanned
It always seems like the people that take MBTI the most seriously are the ones who speak in opposition of it.

This is true.

Just as those who take Christianity seriously are those who oppose it.

And just as those who take Islam seriously are those who oppose it - indeed they are crazy brave, like Ayaam Hirsi Ali.

And this is also true of Quantum Mechanics as it was opposed by Albert Einstein.

This is also true of slavery as it was opposed by the House of Commons in 1833.

And this is also true of organised misogyny as it was opposed by Australia and New Zealand in 1904.

And this is also true of child, sexual abuse as it was opposed by our Criminal Courts in the 1990s.

And this is also true of superstition as it was opposed by the Enlightenment from 1688 to 1788.

And naturally it is also true of MBTI.

Nizy

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
This is true.

Just as those who take Christianity seriously are those who oppose it.

And just as those who take Islam seriously are those who oppose it - indeed they are crazy brave, like Ayaam Hirsi Ali.

And this is also true of Quantum Mechanics as it was opposed by Albert Einstein.

This is also true of slavery as it was opposed by the House of Commons in 1833.

And this is also true of organised misogyny as it was opposed by Australia and New Zealand in 1904.

And this is also true of child, sexual abuse as it was opposed by our Criminal Courts in the 1990s.

And this is also true of superstition as it was opposed by the Enlightenment from 1688 to 1788.

And naturally it is also true of MBTI.

One of those things is not like the others.

VagrantFarce

"The MBTI is analogous to child abuse. Why won't anyone take me seriously!?"
-- Victor

Mole

Permabanned
No, that's pretty much rock bottom, without any view of the stars.

We all lie in the gutter looking at the stars and sometimes I reach across and give Q a little tickle. She tries to stop herself from laughing by turning her eyes from the sky. But all she has to do is turn over.

Sometimes I try to give her a hint by offering her an apple turnover in the hope she might look up. But she keeps on resolutely glaring at me.

I console myself by enjoying her company in the hope that things will look up.