User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Well, I think true self-actualization is impossible. It's only an ideal goal to be worked towards, nothing that can be achieved in the current reality. In working towards it, you are simply stabilizing your ego and making it more functional by broadening what it encompasses; basically, not painting yourself into a corner. Over-identifying with your projected self can be a problem because then you become inflexible and that creates conflict. That also makes your ego more vulnerable and unstable because it gets threatened very easily (where personality disorders and mental illness can come in to play).

I think MBTI is a useful theory that can open the door to a self-examination and introspection that encourages movement towards self-actualization. It's also a big help in a basic realization a lot of people don't grasp: other people think differently from you, and it's not better or worse. That in itself can clear up misunderstandings and encourage positive growth in relationships.

Of course, like anything, MBTI can be misused. If someone thinks, "I am xxxx type and that's why I am this way and there's nothing I can do about it" then they are over-identifying with an image of themselves.

If you really think MBTI is "death for society" though, then turn on the news - there are far worse issues in the world.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes Rune liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Well, I think true self-actualization is impossible. It's only an ideal goal to be worked towards, nothing that can be achieved in the current reality. In working towards it, you are simply stabilizing your ego and making it more functional by broadening what it encompasses; basically, not painting yourself into a corner. Over-identifying with your projected self can be a problem because then you become inflexible and that creates conflict. That also makes your ego more vulnerable and unstable because it gets threatened very easily (where personality disorders and mental illness can come in to play).

I think MBTI is a useful theory that can open the door to a self-examination and introspection that encourages movement towards self-actualization. It's also a big help in a basic realization a lot of people don't grasp: other people think differently from you, and it's not better or worse. That in itself can clear up misunderstandings and encourage positive growth in relationships.

Of course, like anything, MBTI can be misused. If someone thinks, "I am xxxx type and that's why I am this way and there's nothing I can do about it" then they are over-identifying with an image of themselves.

If you really think MBTI is "death for society" though, then turn on the news - there are far worse issues in the world.
    This is a very reasonable and grounded way to look at it. Great points all around. I applaud you for not giving into the kind of doom-mongering hysterics of which certain other Fi doms seem so fond.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But note, no university uses MBTI to hypnotise and control students".
    If I only knew of MBTI in HS my college choice would look much different and better.. So, I prefer being "hypnotised" rolleyes

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Noting similarities between people regarding value systems and behavioral tendencies doesn't squelch identity. I'm getting pretty sick of reading this kind of paranoid delusional Fi-ridden garbage.
    Consider EXTJs. Note how difficult it is to change their minds or put a dent in their forward motion. INFPs throw themselves in front of that train. They require courage and conviction, and in some way, they are required to be right too.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Consider EXTJs. Note how difficult it is to change their minds or put a dent in their forward motion. INFPs throw themselves in front of that train. They require courage and conviction, and in some way, they are required to be right too.
    Don't get me wrong--there are some great things about Fi. It just gets a little ridiculous when the need for individuality leads to the delusion that one is too unique to bear any resemblance whatsoever to the values or behavioral tendencies of anyone else.

It's even more ridiculous when this belief leads to these outrageous conspiracy theories about how typology is an evil plot to homogenize everyone. If anything it's a way of legitimizing our differences for improved communication and understanding, and it's really silly that some people miss out on that because they're too busy getting offended about being categorized.

MBTI
    INTJ

Intriguingly, wasn't Isabel Meyers INFP?

If the INFPs are saying it's a conspiracy, perhaps the time to listen is upon us.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Intriguingly, wasn't Isabel Meyers INFP?

If the INFPs are saying it's a conspiracy, perhaps the time to listen is upon us.
    They must have discussed it with her at their biweekly secret INFP international conspiracy meetings...

...which none of them would attend since they dislike being labeled in such a way in the first place.

MBTI
    INTJ

Which explains why it took fifty years for the secret to be revealed.

Now, the pressing question, which side was it went rogue, Isabel and her team or today's INFPs? My God, the implications!

Boy meets Grr

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'd like to put a cohesive augment together, arguing against the OP's hypothesis, but I don't care enough. Honestly, MBTI is just an interest for me, not a potential weapon of mass destruction. If you think it is, you're doing it wrong.
    This thread is amusing
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Perhaps I have been opposed to MBTI this entire time, and perhaps I have been waiting for the opportune time to propose opposition.
    Oh MY GAWD you're so unique and special, so unlike the other 6,798,500,000 people living here, no wonder nobody gets your genius ideas! But I do! Please let me know when you're going to invade the world with your robotic minions, and let me join the first ranks, master!