User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTP

This is a very old argument, and one of the cornerstones of MBTI. However I find this one to be fairly limited in scope and actual meat, as MBTI does not seem to be what is wrecking countries or causing society to spiral downwards, which appears to be the OP's fear.

As to the OP, humanity deserves a little more credit. Mammals are highly adaptive creatures, and earth is a rough planet to live on. Humans have had to rise past some serious hurdles to get where we are today, as have the societies we have built. Societies have been through far worse than a personality test, and there are plenty of tools with which humans can utilize in the pursuit of self-destruction.

Besides, the only empirical evidence for such dangers rest only in the online forums. Societies can adapt to just about anything, in many ways. Hell, if MBTI is so dangerous as to title a post about "death for society", then how is INTPc still around after all these years. Try as they might, they have yet to destroy themselves...
    Likes Rune liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    In seventy years not one double blind experiment has been done with MBTI.

So quite naturally I smell a rat.

And as I look around to see what is decaying I find that MBTI is not even a valid and reliable personality test. And if it were it should never be applied by oneself to oneself.

No, MBTI is a form of hypnosis used by the military and business to control recruits and employees. But note, no university uses MBTI to hypnotise and control students.

But now they are expanding from military recruits and employees to school children.

They are not only drugging school children but they are employing MBTI to hypnotise school children in their bedrooms - for their own good of course.

A good place to start to understand this child abuse is Alice Miller's book, "For Your Own Good".
    I was first typed by a career services counselor at a university event. We were given an abridged version. The full thing, which would be administered via individual meetings with career services, costs $20.

Furthermore, I never heard of MBTI when I was in primary school. In fact, one of the facets of type theory is that the full four letter code is not applicable to children, as they are not fully developed.

And why would they be teaching this in schools?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^ I think Victor's point is that any number of "type yourself" resources are available online.

Many who post here are in their teens. Doubtful (m)any of them have taken any version of the "official" test, let alone one administered in a controlled environment by an accredited individual.

On a personal side-note, I am glad I had never even heard of MBTI before I was 24 or 25. I doubt I had the maturity to use it as a tool for self-growth as opposed to some sort of crutch to lean upon.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    ^ I think Victor's point is that any number of "type yourself" resources are available online.

Many who post here are in their teens. Doubtful (m)any of them have taken any version of the "official" test, let alone administered in a controlled environment by an accredited individual.

On a personal side-note, I am glad I had never even heard of MBTI before I was 24 or 25. I doubt I had the maturity to use it as a tool for self-growth as opposed to some sort of crutch to lean upon.
    Sure, they are, but they are not being spoon-fed to our kids. Plenty of things are available online, much of which is certainly more dehumanizing than MBTI. And this is an online forum, thus the web-savvy younger generations will more likely be posting, but there is still diversity in age groups.

On the second part, I think you hit the nail on the head. Proper usage of any tool requires maturity...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    And why would they be teaching this in schools?
    Both of my kids were "typed" in high school - one when they wanted to volunteer to serve abroad, and the other as part of a "psychology" experiment. I doubt anyone involved was actually qualified to make any assessment nor did they use the actual MBTI.

Sure, they are, but they are not being spoon-fed to our kids. Plenty of things are available online, much of which is certainly more dehumanizing than MBTI. And this is an online forum, thus the web-savvy younger generations will more likely be posting, but there is still diversity in age groups.
    Agreed @bold.

And, I just think that when one is young one is looking to find where they "fit" and that leads to a danger of using MBTI somewhat like a horoscope, to try to predict the future, who you should date, explain the reason why you were scared during a test etc.

So as you so aptly pointed out, maturity in tool usage is essential.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    As a result, MBTI , IQ tests, and other cognitive scales are the ultimate tools for which someone can dehumanize another.
    I'm sure looks, money, job achievement, education level, material possessions and many others are also in there - or do you think MBTI is a better tool for qualifying and dehumanizing others?

You are also assuming MBTI has some sort of "better" and "worse than" scale. Can you please tell me that scale, I seem to have missed it.

I think lumping an entire group of people who are using a personality tool and throwing accusations about their personal growth at them as a whole is more dehumanizing than what you claim is actually dehumanizing. You can dehumanize people from all MBTI types much more effectively the way you are doing it though, so stay the course.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    As a result, MBTI , IQ tests, and other cognitive scales are the ultimate tools for which someone can dehumanize another.
    Doubtful they are ULTIMATE TOOLS, but they can be official-looking ones.

The dehumanizing activity here is to post in absolutes.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Both of my kids were "typed" in high school - one when they wanted to volunteer to serve abroad, and the other as part of a "psychology" experiment. I doubt anyone involved was actually qualified to make any assessment nor did they use the actual MBTI.
    Interesting. I graduated HS in 2007. Every time I look back at the decrepit system, infested with corruption and incompetence, I get more and more worried about those still in it.

Another note about the dangers of MBTI is that this tool truly can be used to hypnotize, enslave, entrance or whatnot others. However it is a tool. To use a tool there must be intent, the tool itself will not do anything unless given a driving force. There are plenty of tools in the shed, many of which are far sharper, and more virulently geared towards death...

And if we are afraid of our children misusing tools, then how about we show them how to use it rather than let uncaring strangers in uncaring systems implant it in our children in all the wrong ways...

Any objective analysis would "dehumanize."

Humanity is overrated.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

To use a tool there must be intent, the tool itself will not do anything unless given a driving force.
    Indeed.