User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 148

  1. #41
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I pay for it. If you don't like the spouting then get out of the fountain.
    What exactly does being "coddled" mean to you? Thinking about MBTI?

    If I think you are full of it I shouldn't be posting?

  2. #42
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is true.

    Just as those who take Christianity seriously are those who oppose it.

    And just as those who take Islam seriously are those who oppose it - indeed they are crazy brave, like Ayaam Hirsi Ali.

    And this is also true of Quantum Mechanics as it was opposed by Albert Einstein.

    This is also true of slavery as it was opposed by the House of Commons in 1833.

    And this is also true of organised misogyny as it was opposed by Australia and New Zealand in 1904.

    And this is also true of child, sexual abuse as it was opposed by our Criminal Courts in the 1990s.

    And this is also true of superstition as it was opposed by the Enlightenment from 1688 to 1788.

    And naturally it is also true of MBTI.
    And this is also true of birth control as it was opposed by the Catholic Church.

    And this is also true of the age of consent as it is opposed by NAMBLA.

    And this is also true of punishment as it is opposed by the criminals.

    Let the opposition reign free!!!!

  3. #43
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    I don't know if the tater-tot has pi**ed anyone off lately because the reaction on this post is pretty swift and strong, but what I *think* he is trying to say (aside from all the dramatic prose) does have some merit to it.

    I have seen it happen here and IRL - people lean on their MBTI archetype in a negative fashion, not using it to help them appreciate their innate abilities and develop their deficiencies but as a justification for any particular "bad" behaviour or for whatever barriers they feel limited by in their life. To use your "type" as an excuse for anything is very self-limiting.

    Aside from that, the OP comes across more like a meaningless rant, so if there's a need to explore this thought more fully, it might better evolve in a less contentious way.

    This thread will hit the graveyard pretty fast I'm sure otherwise.

  4. #44
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Thumbs down Breaking the Spell

    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    "The MBTI is analogous to child abuse. Why won't anyone take me seriously!?"
    -- Victor
    MBTI was concocted by two village astrologers, Mrs Briggs and her daughter, Mrs Myers, to induct women in the war machine in WW II.

    The military found it so useful they have used it to hypnotise recruits ever since WW II.

    And seeing how useful it is to hypnotise and control recruits, business has used it on employees for about seventy years.

    But not content with that, this site is devoted to hypnotising school children with MBTI.

    And remember school children are financially and emotionally dependent on their parents. And so legally are not able to give consent. And consent from their parents is never obtained.

    And worse school children are hypnotised with MBTI in their bedrooms behind the backs of their legal guardians.

    So here MBTI is a spell being cast on school children.

    And it is simply our duty to break the spell.

  5. #45
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    What exactly does being "coddled" mean to you? Thinking about MBTI?

    If I think you are full of it I shouldn't be posting?
    So you think you are playing in an spouting sprinkler of piss??

    The one who ignores his own convictions, strengths, or weaknesses in light of the MBTI is like the criminal who bribes the judge or the jury and is relieved of his sentence, or the newlywed wife who spends her honeymoon in bear infested forests to have the ranger shoot the bear who ate her husband.

    When someone throws a safety net to rescue you from your own cliff diving, then you are being coddled.

    So when a society is constantly coddled, it becomes complacent. It finds excuses to avoid integration. Luckily, society has not adopted MBTI as a means to articulate De Jour segregation; but it has and will find other means.

  6. #46
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,432

    Default

    Most people I know, when they have encountered MBTI and identify with a type, react like this: "Hey, that describes me pretty well! Interesting! Now, to move along with my life..." And they don't think about it very much.

    Now, I, personally, use it for self-improvement by taking note of the negative aspects THAT I IDENTIFY WITH (take note that not all stereotypical aspects of ESTJs apply to me, e.g. being overly aggressive, which I am not), and I actively try to fix them!

    Now how stereotypically ESTJ does THAT sound??? Answer: Not at all! Therefore, MBTI has NOT corrupted me the way it has supposedly corrupted pretty much everyone who has taken the test, because I'm thinking and acting outside of the ESTJ box.

    Of course, I have no way of knowing that what I'm doing is the average, but I'm SURE that the way people act on TypeC is NOT going to be the average either, because we don't represent the overall population. We don't represent them because we are NERDS about this sort of thing. Not everyone who takes the MBTI test and is interested in it will go to the level of nerdiness that we all went to by simply joining this site and posting on it.

    In other words, before I believe what you say, I want some STATISTICS. I'm not going to believe that sort of claim until I have evidence in front of me, and the OP seemed like less of a scientific report and more of a philosophical document. And, of course, my problem with philosophical writings is that it's SPECULATION and there's NO WAY OF PROVING IT.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  7. #47
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default Break free of the Typology Central Bubble...discuss reality!

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Most people I know, when they have encountered MBTI and identify with a type, react like this: "Hey, that describes me pretty well! Interesting! Now, to move along with my life..." And they don't think about it very much.

    Now, I, personally, use it for self-improvement by taking note of the negative aspects THAT I IDENTIFY WITH (take note that not all stereotypical aspects of ESTJs apply to me, e.g. being overly aggressive, which I am not), and I actively try to fix them!

    Now how stereotypically ESTJ does THAT sound??? Answer: Not at all! Therefore, MBTI has NOT corrupted me the way it has supposedly corrupted pretty much everyone who has taken the test, because I'm thinking and acting outside of the ESTJ box.

    Of course, I have no way of knowing that what I'm doing is the average, but I'm SURE that the way people act on TypeC is NOT going to be the average either, because we don't represent the overall population. We don't represent them because we are NERDS about this sort of thing. Not everyone who takes the MBTI test and is interested in it will go to the level of nerdiness that we all went to by simply joining this site and posting on it.

    In other words, before I believe what you say, I want some STATISTICS. I'm not going to believe that sort of claim until I have evidence in front of me, and the OP seemed like less of a scientific report and more of a philosophical document. And, of course, my problem with philosophical writings is that it's SPECULATION and there's NO WAY OF PROVING IT.
    Great points.

    I think the people on this forum forget the great bias and influence that the whole set-up of the forum inherently introduces, where there's groupings due to types, insult-throwing according to types, this steadfast belief in realities of types, as this static, concrete thing.

    However, I highly doubt that most of us, when we click "log out" and enter the real world, are this "typist" in how we engage with others in the real world, to make the OP a non-issue in terms of the "real society" outside this forum.

    Again, those, like the OP, who is taking this seriously, believes (and is commenting on) certain "realities" that only exists because of the dynamic of this forum; not in any real way, to the society at large beyond this internet group.

    I may have issues with those leading with Te, but, my father is an ESTJ, one of my really good friends is an ENTJ, and in our real life interaction, their importance in my life, as actual people, supercedes my elitist disdain for Te as a leading function. Or, other such nonsense. I can anticipate where they're coming from but I don't think this then gets turned into a hindrance from my end, because having a good relationship with them is more important than my bias against an MBTI type (which I don't have, anyway, just an example).

  8. #48
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Thumbs down For Your Own Good

    In seventy years not one double blind experiment has been done with MBTI.

    So quite naturally I smell a rat.

    And as I look around to see what is decaying I find that MBTI is not even a valid and reliable personality test. And if it were it should never be applied by oneself to oneself.

    No, MBTI is a form of hypnosis used by the military and business to control recruits and employees. But note, no university uses MBTI to hypnotise and control students.

    But now they are expanding from military recruits and employees to school children.

    They are not only drugging school children but they are employing MBTI to hypnotise school children in their bedrooms - for their own good of course.

    A good place to start to understand this child abuse is Alice Miller's book, "For Your Own Good".

  9. #49
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Most people I know, when they have encountered MBTI and identify with a type, react like this: "Hey, that describes me pretty well! Interesting! Now, to move along with my life..." And they don't think about it very much.

    Now, I, personally, use it for self-improvement by taking note of the negative aspects THAT I IDENTIFY WITH (take note that not all stereotypical aspects of ESTJs apply to me, e.g. being overly aggressive, which I am not), and I actively try to fix them!

    Now how stereotypically ESTJ does THAT sound??? Answer: Not at all! Therefore, MBTI has NOT corrupted me the way it has supposedly corrupted pretty much everyone who has taken the test, because I'm thinking and acting outside of the ESTJ box.

    Of course, I have no way of knowing that what I'm doing is the average, but I'm SURE that the way people act on TypeC is NOT going to be the average either, because we don't represent the overall population. We don't represent them because we are NERDS about this sort of thing. Not everyone who takes the MBTI test and is interested in it will go to the level of nerdiness that we all went to by simply joining this site and posting on it.

    In other words, before I believe what you say, I want some STATISTICS. I'm not going to believe that sort of claim until I have evidence in front of me, and the OP seemed like less of a scientific report and more of a philosophical document. And, of course, my problem with philosophical writings is that it's SPECULATION and there's NO WAY OF PROVING IT.
    One can identify themselves with any individual construct under the sun. Have you not heard of the Forer effect?

    The Forer effect occurs when one recollects experiences and compares them with a given description. Afterward, this person will associate the description with the self.

    However, as humans, we have all contracted a multitude of experiences. Naturally, we must conclude that we are human because of these common experiences.

    Eventually, all conjectures about these MBTI archetypes disintegrate into the fact that we are all human.

    Humans stand out amidst nature; so there are many like myself who claim that we have inherit divinity.

    However, some humans seek godhood; so they dehumanize others and differentiate them. The ultimate differentiation is that of the mind because our cognitive faculties distinguish us from the rest of nature.

    As a result, MBTI , IQ tests, and other cognitive scales are the ultimate tools for which someone can dehumanize another.

  10. #50
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    As a result, MBTI , IQ tests, and other cognitive scales are the ultimate tools for which someone can dehumanize another.
    Quite so.

Similar Threads

  1. Video: 7 Reasons Why the MBTI is Bullshit
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-17-2015, 07:54 AM
  2. Why The MBTI Is Wrong...
    By Mal12345 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 09:48 PM
  3. Why MBTI is Anti Australian
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 08:02 PM
  4. Why MBTI is Anti-New Zealand
    By Quinlan in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 08:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO