• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why MBTI is Death for Society

G

Ginkgo

I'm sure looks, money, job achievement, education level, material possessions and many others are also in there - or do you think MBTI is a better tool for qualifying and dehumanizing others?

If one values matter over mind, perhaps you are correct. However, all achievement stems from the mind. This is why most Autistic children can't attest to being top of their class, having a prestigious profession, etc etc. However, when one accepts defeat by waddling about within a given mental capacity, they sabotage themselves.

So when a clinician designates an IQ to your mind, he gives you a predetermined accomplishment rating.

You are also assuming MBTI has some sort of "better" and "worse than" scale. Can you please tell me that scale, I seem to have missed it.
If you have overlooked it, then I suggest scanning many of the threads on this forum. Here you may find that people of certain archetypes are associated with mental illness and disability.

There is never any explicit "better-than, worse-than" chart. However, if you read between the lines, you will find that your "type" is predisposed to specific behaviors. These behaviors are separate from others, and it is inherently impossible for one to be both equal and separate.

I think lumping an entire group of people using a personality tool and throwing accusations about their personal growth is more dehumanizing. You can dehumanize people from all MBTI types much more effectively the way you are doing it though, so stay the course.

I never lumped anyone together under any title other than "human". As a human, you are an individual with specific needs, strengths, weaknesses, etc. In order to progress, one must reflect in the mirror every once and a while. By doing this, one can attain individual goals.

MBTI claims to be a mirror, but it is not. It is a photograph of someone else, and as a photograph, it is rendered static. You, my friend, are not static. You are a living, growing human being with heart palpitations.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
It is unfortunate but there are a many people that fail to recognise and appreciate difference amongst others. These people need to be shown these differences explicitly, so if there is one thing that is good that comes from MBTI is that it helps people recognise and appreciate different perspectives. 16 boxes can be preferable to a one size fits all box.

G

Ginkgo

It is unfortunate but there are a many people that fail to recognise and appreciate difference amongst others. These people need to be shown these differences explicitly, so if there is one thing that is good that comes from MBTI is that it helps people recognise and appreciate different perspectives. 16 boxes can be preferable to a one size fits all box.

NOO, I call for everyone create the box for themselves! In this way, they dawn individuality! :steam:

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
For God's sake... authenticity again?

That MBTI gives an explanation for INFP authenticity hysteria should tell us something.

The liberating thing about MBTI--yes, liberating--is that terms exist to modify that one noisy, obnoxious, authoritarian authenticity demand. Namely, if I act like a type I am not, I will not be authentic.

Modify your noisome Fi demands. They insult my ability to conceive of the world whole and real.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In seventy years not one double blind experiment has been done with MBTI.

So quite naturally I smell a rat.

And as I look around to see what is decaying I find that MBTI is not even a valid and reliable personality test. And if it were it should never be applied by oneself to oneself.

No, MBTI is a form of hypnosis used by the military and business to control recruits and employees. But note, no university uses MBTI to hypnotise and control students.

But now they are expanding from military recruits and employees to school children.

They are not only drugging school children but they are employing MBTI to hypnotise school children in their bedrooms - for their own good of course.

A good place to start to understand this child abuse is Alice Miller's book, "For Your Own Good".

My god! You're right! We have to inform the people! :ohmy:

For God's sake... authenticity again?

That MBTI gives an explanation for INFP authenticity hysteria should tell us something.

The liberating thing about MBTI--yes, liberating--is that terms exist to modify that one noisy, obnoxious, authoritarian authenticity demand. Namely, if I act like a type I am not, I will not be authentic.

Modify your noisome Fi demands. They insult my ability to conceive of the world whole and real.

+1

Why is it always Fi doms that spout this kind of bullshit? :doh:

Contemptus

MBTI Type
INtJ
Enneagram
I can understand what you mean, an interesting point "Mystic tater"

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Why is it always Fi doms that spout this kind of bullshit? :doh:

On the label of the INFP box it says "Resist labels."

This is an important talent. For example, people who identify very strongly with being someone who performs tasks would easily end up living the traditional life of quiet desperation if there were not sometimes a voice to hear forcefully calling attention to identity.

I know everything.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
On the label of the INFP box it says "Resist labels."

This is an important talent. For example, people who identify very strongly with being someone who performs tasks would easily end up living the traditional life of quiet desperation if there were not sometimes a voice to hear forcefully calling attention to identity.

I know everything.

Noting similarities between people regarding value systems and behavioral tendencies doesn't squelch identity. I'm getting pretty sick of reading this kind of paranoid delusional Fi-ridden garbage.

sticker

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm on both camps. Just giving my thoughts of why people like grouping and differentiating stuff.
People make sense of the chaotic world by categorising similar entities. Otherwise, our mental capacity can't handle all the information being thrown at us very single day. It can be both subconscious and conscious.
This is a boy. That is a bed. When someone look at a horse and say that it is a horse, what are they basing it off to come to the conclusion that the object is indeed a horse? Did they compare it to previous horses they've seen to form a mental image of a so called 'perfect horse' which has all the qualities a horse should have and decide if the similarities outweigh the differences? If there's enough diferences, should it be grouped under another category? A zebra?
What is good, what is bad? Everyone has different opinions of what 'good' and 'bad' is. Likewise, they will have different opinions of what a particular type is like.
It's not about grouping people into 16 boxes that is at fault, it's about the impressions and thoughts of what an individual has regarding a particular group that can be problematic.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I think true self-actualization is impossible. It's only an ideal goal to be worked towards, nothing that can be achieved in the current reality. In working towards it, you are simply stabilizing your ego and making it more functional by broadening what it encompasses; basically, not painting yourself into a corner. Over-identifying with your projected self can be a problem because then you become inflexible and that creates conflict. That also makes your ego more vulnerable and unstable because it gets threatened very easily (where personality disorders and mental illness can come in to play).

I think MBTI is a useful theory that can open the door to a self-examination and introspection that encourages movement towards self-actualization. It's also a big help in a basic realization a lot of people don't grasp: other people think differently from you, and it's not better or worse. That in itself can clear up misunderstandings and encourage positive growth in relationships.

Of course, like anything, MBTI can be misused. If someone thinks, "I am xxxx type and that's why I am this way and there's nothing I can do about it" then they are over-identifying with an image of themselves.

If you really think MBTI is "death for society" though, then turn on the news - there are far worse issues in the world.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I think true self-actualization is impossible. It's only an ideal goal to be worked towards, nothing that can be achieved in the current reality. In working towards it, you are simply stabilizing your ego and making it more functional by broadening what it encompasses; basically, not painting yourself into a corner. Over-identifying with your projected self can be a problem because then you become inflexible and that creates conflict. That also makes your ego more vulnerable and unstable because it gets threatened very easily (where personality disorders and mental illness can come in to play).

I think MBTI is a useful theory that can open the door to a self-examination and introspection that encourages movement towards self-actualization. It's also a big help in a basic realization a lot of people don't grasp: other people think differently from you, and it's not better or worse. That in itself can clear up misunderstandings and encourage positive growth in relationships.

Of course, like anything, MBTI can be misused. If someone thinks, "I am xxxx type and that's why I am this way and there's nothing I can do about it" then they are over-identifying with an image of themselves.

If you really think MBTI is "death for society" though, then turn on the news - there are far worse issues in the world.

This is a very reasonable and grounded way to look at it. Great points all around. I applaud you for not giving into the kind of doom-mongering hysterics of which certain other Fi doms seem so fond.

Chloe

But note, no university uses MBTI to hypnotise and control students".

If I only knew of MBTI in HS my college choice would look much different and better.. So, I prefer being "hypnotised" :coffee: rolleyes

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Noting similarities between people regarding value systems and behavioral tendencies doesn't squelch identity. I'm getting pretty sick of reading this kind of paranoid delusional Fi-ridden garbage.

Consider EXTJs. Note how difficult it is to change their minds or put a dent in their forward motion. INFPs throw themselves in front of that train. They require courage and conviction, and in some way, they are required to be right too.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Consider EXTJs. Note how difficult it is to change their minds or put a dent in their forward motion. INFPs throw themselves in front of that train. They require courage and conviction, and in some way, they are required to be right too.

Don't get me wrong--there are some great things about Fi. It just gets a little ridiculous when the need for individuality leads to the delusion that one is too unique to bear any resemblance whatsoever to the values or behavioral tendencies of anyone else.

It's even more ridiculous when this belief leads to these outrageous conspiracy theories about how typology is an evil plot to homogenize everyone. If anything it's a way of legitimizing our differences for improved communication and understanding, and it's really silly that some people miss out on that because they're too busy getting offended about being categorized.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Intriguingly, wasn't Isabel Meyers INFP?

If the INFPs are saying it's a conspiracy, perhaps the time to listen is upon us.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Intriguingly, wasn't Isabel Meyers INFP?

If the INFPs are saying it's a conspiracy, perhaps the time to listen is upon us.

They must have discussed it with her at their biweekly secret INFP international conspiracy meetings...

...which none of them would attend since they dislike being labeled in such a way in the first place. :jew:

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Which explains why it took fifty years for the secret to be revealed.

Now, the pressing question, which side was it went rogue, Isabel and her team or today's INFPs? My God, the implications!

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd like to put a cohesive augment together, arguing against the OP's hypothesis, but I don't care enough. Honestly, MBTI is just an interest for me, not a potential weapon of mass destruction. If you think it is, you're doing it wrong.
This thread is amusing:nice:

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perhaps I have been opposed to MBTI this entire time, and perhaps I have been waiting for the opportune time to propose opposition.

Oh MY GAWD you're so unique and special, so unlike the other 6,798,500,000 people living here, no wonder nobody gets your genius ideas! But I do! Please let me know when you're going to invade the world with your robotic minions, and let me join the first ranks, master!