User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 148

  1. #111
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Victor, how do you prove a preference to be true?
    This is one reason MBTI tends to default in the direction of observable behavior and expression of thoughts. That any person ventures to type another through test or observation suggests that there is external evidence of a preference. Proving tends to attempt to see if measuring these observations produces consistent results.

    Since our brains have dedicated hardware for processing and regulating emotion and thought, there could at some point be the possibility of brain scans to demonstrate what areas of the brain light up in response to certain stimuli that could prove certain kinds of internal preferences for cognitive processing. As far as I know this is not used in relationship to MBTI. I don't think MBTI correlates its poles according to brain structure.

    Basically I would say that as long as the implications of being some type are not being measured, then it doesn't matter whether or not you can measure a preference. If having a label that indicates a preference impacts employment opportunities and other measured outcomes, then there sure as hell better be an equally valid way of measuring that preference.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  2. #112
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Tater. Any system of thought, code of beliefs, or even a pure natural science can be misused, abused, and be of more harm than good.

    Religion has screwed up way more people's minds than MBTI could ever hope to. Science has been used to commit heinous crimes. Wacko nut jobs like Jim Jones had his followers drink poisoned Kool-Aid, as did the followers of the Heaven's Gate cult.

    Methinks you are unecessarily villifying MBTI. The people who stagnate their own growth as a result of putting too much faith in MBTI are responsible for their own lack of self actualization, as are those that place too much faith in any other method of thinking or system of beliefs.
    +789462


    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Hear, hear!
    Anybody ever see that South Park episode about the Mormons? "DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUUUUMB!" keeps running through my head.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  3. #113
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    What would be the most basic question of them all. How much freedom is good for men ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  4. #114
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    On the label of the INFP box it says "Resist labels."

    This is an important talent. For example, people who identify very strongly with being someone who performs tasks would easily end up living the traditional life of quiet desperation if there were not sometimes a voice to hear forcefully calling attention to identity.


    I know everything.
    Society is riddled with labels as Flatland is riddled with shapes. So for each shape, there is a purpose in society- like the pieces to a puzzle.

    But some of us become amorphous because labeling a homeostatic call card is death to us.

    So we are labeled as amorphous instead, as we define our niche in the world.

    But at least I do not wear a silent label; for silence speaks volumes about a person.

    I might know the teacher
    The teacher might know me
    But as a student I should question
    question question
    until I find peace

  5. #115
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoSunshine View Post
    So, Tater...I get your point. I went out with a guy 3 times who was VERY into MBTI and it seemed not only that he was living his life by an ENFP script (which to him was the bestest of the best), but also shoving people in to their type "script". I had to start saying to him after every sentence, "...and it's not because I am an ENFJ, it because I am Jo." It was insanity. For him was MBTI dangerous...yes. For your average person...I don’t think so. Just like lots of good things, people (desperate people, disturbed people, unhealthy people) can find ways to misuse MBTI to serve their purposes (to prove they are superior, unique, as a defense to keep them from being hurt by "bad" types, blah, blah). Perhaps this is something you did and now you think you are saving all from ourselves?

    On the note of superiority, I find your comments incredibly contradictory. You speak of how MBTI is a way for people to feel superior. I think perhaps, you are the superior one, my friend. Your post are riddled with the word "should". People should do this, people should not do that. You are making an assumption that all people should be like you. Tsk, tsk. You are assuming that your way of being is superior to others. You take for granted that people think, feel, live and react as you do. Not the case. There are those of us who can responsibly and usefully apply MBTI to awareness of self and others and use it as a tool for growth. If it is not working for you, then perhaps you can find something that does.

    There was a comment about attacking the OP. I feel (be it American or not) that when you condescend to people, it is an expected reaction. Now, if you wrote, this is how I feel about MBTI, this is how I think it effects people and society, what's your opinion? And then been open to hearing and more importantly understanding that everyone is not like you and therefore capable of having a different experience, the response would have been much different.

    I find your posts very narcissistic, to say the least. Feel what you want to feel, believe what you want to believe, but realize you are not an authority...you are just a regular person like the rest of us. You can choose to sit on your throne and separate yourself from the rest of us (both in this forum and in real life) with your doctrine of how things “should” be, but just know that when you elevate yourself to that level of superiority, it is very isolating…it is lonely being king.
    I do not claim superiority; nor am I as radical as one might think.

    But radicals teeter on the edge of society to define a spectrum of opinion.

    Moderates meander in the middle with shifting bias.

    So here we find MBTI assent-ers like simulatedworld and MBTI dissenters like Victor and I to create a spectrum.

    So you think that I have digested the gumption of MBTI and spit it at others like a king.

    In reality, I have only chewed the cud of MBTI enough to know that it holds the capacity to be harmful.

    Alarmists are welcome here, just as you are welcome, just as anyone who adheres to the rules.

    Because of this I do believe we should all be grateful we have lips to move and fingers to type - and even this conduit of information we call the internet.

  6. #116
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I think one of the main things that bothers me about the dissenters is how self-righteous they are about their opinion. I can see why, being that you're on a forum dedicated to this topic. I do feel however, that if this forum didn't exist, or you never heard of typology, you would be on another forum, perhaps a video game forum, proclaiming that video games make mindless machines of us all. In essence, you take your belief, your highly held opinion, attribute it only to the fantastic and brilliant workings of your own mind, and then post with the belief that everyone else holds the "lower opinion" and that they cannot take the evidence or the missing information surrounding MBTI and come to their own conclusion. And then, considering your opinions, you don't post any links or connections to other information that people can check out for themselves. Only you are good enough to give us this information, and we must take you at your word that you are right. And the thing that bothers me the most is how you attempt to make your words reminiscent of prose. You are not special. You do not speak honey. The way you dress up your opinions is laughable, as you attempt to coerce and guide the mind away from it in your responses.

  7. #117
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DuoRCN View Post
    I think one of the main things that bothers me about the dissenters is how self-righteous they are about their opinion. I can see why, being that you're on a forum dedicated to this topic. I do feel however, that if this forum didn't exist, or you never heard of typology, you would be on another forum, perhaps a video game forum, proclaiming that video games make mindless machines of us all. In essence, you take your belief, your highly held opinion, attribute it only to the fantastic and brilliant workings of your own mind, and then post with the belief that everyone else holds the "lower opinion" and that they cannot take the evidence or the missing information surrounding MBTI and come to their own conclusion. And then, considering your opinions, you don't post any links or connections to other information that people can check out for themselves. Only you are good enough to give us this information, and we must take you at your word that you are right. And the thing that bothers me the most is how you attempt to make your words reminiscent of prose. You are not special. You do not speak honey. The way you dress up your opinions is laughable, as you attempt to coerce and guide the mind away from it in your responses.
    In the light of that kind of stereotype mbti does look like an electric car
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  8. #118
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Tater. Any system of thought, code of beliefs, or even a pure natural science can be misused, abused, and be of more harm than good.

    Religion has screwed up way more people's minds than MBTI could ever hope to. Science has been used to commit heinous crimes. Wacko nut jobs like Jim Jones had his followers drink poisoned Kool-Aid, as did the followers of the Heaven's Gate cult.

    Methinks you are unecessarily villifying MBTI. The people who stagnate their own growth as a result of putting too much faith in MBTI are responsible for their own lack of self actualization, as are those that place too much faith in any other method of thinking or system of beliefs.
    This exactly. Very well said.

  9. #119
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    This kind of Fi-driven anti-typology paranoia sounds an awful lot like the anti-liberal paranoia you hear from bat shit crazy conservative talk radio.

    "Death for society"? Really? I remember Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly, etc. all using phrases very similar to that to describe what would happen if Obama won the election, or if we didn't place a national ban on abortion/gay marriage, or if we don't abolish the income tax, or [insert conservative cause here.]

    For them it's Te paranoia, and for you it's the Fi version.

    HINT: Lots of people imagine that the apocalypse is imminent if their personal values aren't heeded. Lots of people are also delusional.

    And guess what? For all their rabid fear-mongering, they've yet to produce an apocalypse. Obama is in office, abortion is still legal, and people are still using typology--and still no apocalypse! Go fucking figure, huh?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  10. #120
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    This kind of Fi-driven anti-typology paranoia sounds an awful lot like the anti-liberal paranoia you hear from bat shit crazy conservative talk radio.

    "Death for society"? Really? I remember Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly, etc. all using phrases very similar to that to describe what would happen if Obama won the election, or if we didn't place a national ban on abortion/gay marriage, or if we don't abolish the income tax, or [insert conservative cause here.]

    For them it's Te paranoia, and for you it's the Fi version.

    HINT: Lots of people imagine that the apocalypse is imminent if their personal values aren't heeded. Lots of people are also delusional.

    And guess what? For all their rabid fear-mongering, they've yet to produce an apocalypse. Go fucking figure, huh?
    Like a clinician, you think you have opened up a causeway to my mind; but the door is hardly ajar.

    The serious like to be taken seriously; but why so serious in the first place?

    Most prophecies are self-fulfilled; so it is the duty of the prophet to bring awareness before society chokes on its own pill.

    Some prophets are even payed, while most cry like the boy who cried wolf. So thank you for paying attention.

Similar Threads

  1. Video: 7 Reasons Why the MBTI is Bullshit
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-17-2015, 07:54 AM
  2. Why The MBTI Is Wrong...
    By Mal12345 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 09:48 PM
  3. Why MBTI is Anti Australian
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 08:02 PM
  4. Why MBTI is Anti-New Zealand
    By Quinlan in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 08:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO