User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Quote Originally Posted by KarenParker View Post

ME: Should I quit my job now or wait until I have another one lined up?
    I don't know what would I answer. I hate giving advice because I fear of the possibility to influence people, when I can't possibly know the pros and cons of the situation as well as they know.

But I would ask you what are you thinking of doing and why, why you want to quit your job, what are you expecting from a possible new job (= how high are your standards = how much will it take you to find another job), how competent you are anyway and how's the market on your field.

I have found that some people do not really want answers, just an opportunity to make a conversation, so that they can speak their mind and order a bit their thought process.

But if you actually wanted and answer, well I would not be the one to give it to you, because I think there are pros and cons in any of the two possibilities and I cannot weight them up for you.

Anyway, my Ne is pretty low, but I think that's more of a P-think: decision making is not a very quick process to me. And I think many other Ps will agree that they dislike giving advice, particularly on important stuff that can affect your life.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

To answer the question, the best thing to have done would be to wait until you have another job. That way you would have money to survive, even if your current job is shitty you will at least have money.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    To answer the question, the best thing to have done would be to wait until you have another job. That way you would have money to survive, even if your current job is shitty you will at least have money.
    The problem is that it's way more difficult to make serious moves to find another job when you're already working full time. And it all depends on what you're really expecting from this job change. To quit from a shitty job and find another equally or slightly less shitty is not very good idea.

It also depends on how much you calculate you can survive without a salary (ie, savings, etc).

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    The problem is that it's way more difficult to make serious moves to find another job when you're already working full time. And it all depends on what you're really expecting from this job change. To quit from a shitty job and find another equally or slightly less shitty is not very good idea.

It also depends on how much you calculate you can survive without a salary (ie, savings, etc).
    Yeah. Another thing to keep in mind is context. How shitty the current job is... if you really need to leave. Or if you can manage finding another job while being at your current one.

We'd need more details/context to fully answer the OP's question.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTP

I get that the OP was an exaggeration, but the answers they're giving you are probably designed to, like Night said, get more information from you in case you're really serious about needing advice.

If you ask those kinds of questions all the time and don't really listen to the answers, though, they're probably giving you stupid answers on purpose, so they don't have to waste their time.

What drives me nuts about Ss sometimes is that they will sometimes just ask rhetorical questions like that because they're bored while I'm trying to concentrate on a project. :-D
    Something Witty

Yeah. Another thing to keep in mind is context. How shitty the current job is... if you really need to leave. Or if you can manage finding another job while being at your current one.

Yap, see, hard to answer. It's just better ask for more information in this case - in many cases the person can be just frustrated and all they need is to lay out the information in an organised well-enough way to explain it to others.

I think we're the only ones that actually know what's better for ourselves.

garbage

exactly

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by KarenParker View Post
    B]ME:[/B] Should I quit my job now or wait until I have another one lined up?
    If you're thinking this question, and even asking someone else about it, you already know what to do. If you haven't started looking for another job you're either a tool or you just want to quit really fast. If you really want to say fuck it and just quit, just do it. Don't be a pussy. (pun intended).

If you're obligated to a longer resignation period if you get fired, then do something to get fired. Think about it.
    Do What
    Thou Wilt

heart on fire

To KP, get a piece of paper, write down all the reasons why you shouldn't quit your job verses all the reasons why you should. Yes, do this all on paper, not in your head.

Consider this is a bad economy, research and know what prospects your skills have in the market right now, how long are others with your skills searching for work, how much savings do you have to live on, could you make it if you couldn't find work? etc.

^ Inferior Te, no charge.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    To KP, get a piece of paper, write down all the reasons why you shouldn't quit your job verses all the reasons why you should. Yes, do this all on paper, not in your head.

Consider this is a bad economy, research and know what prospects your skills have in the market right now, how long are others with your skills searching for work, how much savings do you have to live on, could you make it if you couldn't find work? etc.

^ Inferior Te, no charge.
    Heart!!! I didn't notice you were posting again until just now. So good to see you!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers