• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your book collection: a reflection of type?

B

beyondaurora

I spend a lot of time reading, and I've always felt that if only I could share my book list with people, they would have good insight into my personality.

So, here is my bookshelf! Do you notice some patterns that reflect a certain type?

I invite you to post your own bookshelves for analysis! (The images I used are screen shots taken from Shelfari.)

beyondsbookshelf.jpg

beyondsbookshelf2-1.jpg

beyondsbookshelf3-1.jpg

G

garbage

So, here is my bookshelf! Do you notice some patterns that reflect a certain type?

This would point to you being the most F person on the face of the planet

Most of my books are Seventh Habit-like books or books on psychology and economics. Too lazy to see what books I actually have, but, well, you guys can work with that.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, this is really interesting.

I have a number of these: Please Understand Me II, Gifts Differing, Flow, Personality Type An Owners Manual (just got that one), Just Your Type. I'm also a pretty huge Tori Amos fan.

I must say, I have no books on quilting.

I'll post a list later.

d4mselfly

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
My book shelf at the moment:

- school textbooks (zoology, cell bio, physiology, bio anthro)
- assorted Carl Sagan
- Stephen King (The Dark Tower series)
- assorted Kathy Reichs
- assorted philosophy (Kant/Locke/Hume/Freud)
- The Lord of the Rings
- Please Understand Me II
- The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene
- Stiff by Mary Roach
- Ontario bird field guide

The rest are in a box in the living room or in loosely organised stacks in my closet.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Cool idea! Very NF and self-improvement oriented. Nice - keep polishing! :smile:

I was thinking back to my own bookshelf and realized that I didn't buy any pop psychology books until very recently. How strange considering how much I now enjoy reading on the subject. Everything in it's time, I guess. I always had a large collection of novels and travel books...something about an engaging story with well drawn out characters and fascinating places so far away.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Fiction/Literature:

Black Spring - Henry Miller

The Alchemist -Paulo Coelho

Bluebeard- Kurt Vonnegut

Black Hole (Graphic Novel) - Charles Burns

The Pilgrim's Progress - John Bunyan

MBTI/Enneagram/Temperament/Socionics:

Personality Type: An Owner's Manual -Lenore Thomson

Please Understand Me II - David Keirsey

Gifts Differing - Isabel Briggs Meyers

Was That Really Me?: How Everyday Stress Brings Out Our Hidden Personality - Naomi L Quenk

The Pygmalion Project: Love and Coercion Among the Types, Volume 3; The Idealist - Stephen Montgomery

Socionics Demystified - Spencer Stern

Personality Types :Using the Enneagram for Self-Discovery - Don Richard Riso

The Art of SpeedReading People - Paul D. Tieger and Barbara Barron-Tieger

The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality Types - Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson

The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others In Your Life - Helen Palmer

Psychology/Self-Help:

Warrior of the Light: A Manual - Paulo Coehlo

I Could Do Anything: If Only I Knew What It Was - Barbara Sher

Awakening the Heroes Within: Twelve Archetypes To Help Us Find Ourselves and Transform Our World - Carol S. Pearson

Art/Writing:

Drawing Out Your Soul : A Touch Drawing Handbook - Deborah Koff-Chapin

The Courage To Write - Ralph Keyes

Zen and the Art of Writing: Releasing the Creative Genius Within You - Ray Bradbury

Writing For Magazines - Cheryl Sloan Wray

If You Want to Write - Brenda Ueland

Religion/Spirituality:

All of Grace - Charles Spurgeon

The Bible - God :D

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Interesting! A representative grasp out of my quite big book collection:

Children's books: T. Dragt, P. Biegel, R. Dahl, J. Terlouw
Fantasy: J.K. Rowling, T. Lee, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, P. Stewart and C. Riddell
Science fiction: G. Orwell, A. Huxley
Other fiction: F.H. Burnett, A. Quintana

Religion: Bible, Wisdom from World Religions (an encyclopedia), the God Delusion (R. Dawkins)
Sociology: cultures and organizations, software of the mind (G. Hofstede and G.J. Hofstede; a sort of typology - with five dichotomies - for cultures)
Physics: Serway (general), d' Inverno (relativity), Zee (quantum field theory), Zwiebach (string theory)

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Power of One
Farenheit 451
Good Omens : The Nice and Accurate Prophicies of Agnes Nutter
The Martian Chronicles
Aesop's Fables
The Great Train Robbery
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
EDIT:8 Astrology Books

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Fiction?! The horror! *shudders*

If you look through all 3 pages, I have quite a few non-fiction books as well.
But I prefer fiction because it allows me to stretch my imagination and I just enjoy it. :)

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I have a lot of books on Astronomy, tons of them.

That's all.

Maybe a random book about dream interpretation, reptiles, The Art of War, Think And Grow Rich, and Fuck the Fear and Do It Anyway.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Tom Clancy:

Without Remorse, Patriot Games, The Hunt for Red October, The Cardinal of the Cremlin. Clear and Present danger, The Sum of All Fears, Debt of Honor, Executive Orders, Rainbow Six, The Bear and the Dragon, The Teeth of the Tiger, Red Storm Rising

J. R. R. Tolkein:

LotR 75th Anniversary edition single volume hard back, The Hobbit

J. K. Rowling:

Harry Potter 1-7

Michael Crichton:

The Andromeda Strain, Congo, Sphere, Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Timeline, Prey

Nelson Demille:

The Charm School, Plum Island, The Lion's Game, Wild Fire

Barry Eisler:

Rain Fall, Hard Rain, Rain Storm, Killing Rain, The Last Assassin, Requiem For and Assassin

James Clavell:

Tai Pan, Shogun, Gai Jin

John Krakauer:

Into Thin Air, Into The Wild

These are just the ones where I've read multiple works by the same author. Most of my collection is comprised of random works by different authors.

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
Right now, it's kind of pared down because some of it is in storage.

- Epidemiology, Pathology, etc.
About a dozen books on historical epidemiology, especially in urban contexts. Some books on modern epidemiology/global healthcare by Laurie Garrett, Peter Jahrling and the like. Of course, the epidemiological novels by Richard Preston. Some pop forensics and medical oddity books like "Dead Men Do Tell Tales", etc.

- Arachnology, Entomology and other bio
All from when I was a kid. Tons of picture books, a few copies of the Audobon field guide to insects and spiders - with the pictures cut out so I could rearrange them in a way that made sense to me. :D One giant book about human parasites, though I guess that would fall under the above category.

- Lots of women's history books, including a near encyclopedic series on the history of women in Western culture (6 books). Emphasis on primary sources and comparative studies, "Women and Writing in Medieval Europe", "Fallenness in Victorian Women's Writing", etc.

- Social history: Just a ton. I'm currently reading Hitler's Beneficiaries. What little I've been able to find about material culture and domestic life in Victorian Britain and the US, but most of it is either too dry (all description: not enough social analysis) or not all in one place. :dry:

- Antiques, Crafts, Fashion and Fine Arts: Everything from guides to buying porcelain (been collecting since I was wee :wubbie:) to a pictoral history of Fabergé to republished Worth fashion catalogues. Some books about my favorite artists and artistic movements. I'm currently rereading a biography of Ingres.

- Some books about 1970s and 1980s music, four of them on The Clash and Joe Strummer. Will be reading "Rip it Up and Start Again: Post Punk 1978-1984", my self Christmas gift.

- Several books left over from classes that I just haven't wanted to sell.

- Hardly any fiction, but I've held on to most of my fiction books in case I develop a greater appreciation for literature in the future. :shock: It could happen...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
These are my actual reading books. Other books that I have are reference books, picture books, and books about animals. They weren't really worth posting, but since you want to know what books I have there you go. There are more I'm sure, but I couldn't really find them. These are the ones I have lying around to read.

books1x.jpg

books2.jpg