• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your book collection: a reflection of type?

Matt_s

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I have a lot of books about religion, mostly accumulated in my late teens and early twenties. I picked up a decent amount of philosophy books I never read during that time in my life as well. I have poetry and plays that I still add to once in a while. A healthy heaping of fantasy novels. Some sci-fi. Art books from my teens. Jazz biographies. Six or seven serious novels. Don't get me started on the comic collection. A smattering of baseball books and travelogues. Too many cookbooks. I prefer a kindle these days. Sick of having cumbersome to read big-ass hardcovers hanging around.

iris.moon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Most of my books are fantasy, urban fantasy and crime fiction. I like mysterious books. So there's J. K. Rowling, Lisa J. Smith, Cornelia Funke, Krystyna Kuhn, Philip Pullman, Elisa Rosso. I often go to the library, so these are only a few examples of what I read. Last book I read is The firm by John Grisham. I also have a book about the meaning of names.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Let's see...

I have works by:

Alan Moore Watchmen
Neil Gaiman (assorted + Sandman)
Garth Nix Abhorsen Series
JK Rowling Harry Potter
JRR Tolkien (assorted)
Kristen Britain The Green Rider
Gregory McGuire Wicked
Robert L Mack Sweeney Todd
Michael Crichton Prey
Stephen King (assorted + Dark Tower)
HG Wells (assorted major works)
Mark Danielewski House of Leaves
Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Edgar Allan Poe (complete works)
Hemingway (assorted)
Hawthorne (assorted)
Charles Dickens Oliver Twist
Lewis Carol Alice in Wonderland / Through the Looking Glass
Bram Stoker Dracula
Mary Shelley Frankenstein
Phillip Pullman (Golden Compass series)
Aldous Huxley Brave New World / Island

.....blah blah blah, more of the same...

This is just what's on my bookshelf. I also have a book series containing various myths, legends and children's stories. Other books on myths. Various historical novels from various time periods (school reading from high school, to give you an idea). Reference books on Savannah, saltwater marshes, rocks and minerals. All of which are crammed in various out-of-the-way spaces.

I also never give away or throw away a book. It's like...blasphemy to me.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Mostly Bible and psychology texts. Mysteries for fiction. Several books on how to overcome shyness, make friends, etc. Nothing on crafts or cars or anything S like at all.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a large shelf of natural history/ecology books, texts and field guides, mostly ornithological, and a bunch of Carl Sagan books.

In terms of fiction, I lean towards fantasy... The Lord of the Rings, The Dark Tower, Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series, A Song of Ice and Fire.

Then I have a small shelf of manga, mostly FMA.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I read alot of both fiction and nonfiction but my book collection is mostly nonfiction as I rarely re-read novels and usually donate them when I'm done. The nonfiction I like holding onto for reference. I do have a few of the classic novels on my shelf and the Harry Potter books. For nonfiction, I have alot of psychology and science related books, stuff on the MBTI and enneagram, a couple of cookbooks, a couple of computer how to books, an atlas, the World Almanac, some humor books.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Great thread!!

Here's what's on my bookshelf in my dorm room:

For School:

Textbooks
Economics (yuck!)
North African history (cool)
Arabic (intense!!)​
Required reading for my world history seminar class; some of my favorites include:
Jared Diamond, Guns, Germs and Steel
Jonathan Spence, The Memory Palace of Matteo Ricci
Maya Jasanoff, Edge of Empire
Arabic Dictionary

For fun:

Graphic novels
Layman/Guillory, Chew: Volume 1
Stan Sakai, Usagi Yojimbo: Grasscutter
Mike Mignola, Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom
Jen Van Meter, Hopeless Savages
Fun, silly books
Gideon Defoe, The Pirates! in an Adventure with Communists
Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman, Good Omens
Madeleine Albright, Read My Pins <-- best ever coffee table book ever
Several picture books in Arabic (including The Very Hungry Caterpillar), that I can barely read :laugh:

More serious books that are still awesome

Sherman Alexie, Reservation Blues
Several of the Walt Longmire mysteries by Craig Johnson <-- <3 <3 <3 he's my favorite!
Mark Salzman, Iron and Silk
Naomi Novik, His Majesty's Dragon
James Clavell, Noble House <-- got halfway through it over the summer and am now taking a break (phew!)

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most of my books are practical guides. Yes, my collection is true-to-type.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

hahahaha. I'm going to go replace all my books with ones about self-help and hope and change and love.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have a lot of historical fiction/fantasy (mostly Arthurian legend), and a lot of Harry Potter-type stuff. What else.... poetry, Irish lit, Russian lit, French lit (in French), and a lot of reeealy random stuff.

I also keep a list of all the books I read, and rate them. What does that say about my type? :doh:

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hahahaha. I'm going to go replace all my books with ones about self-help and hope and change and love.

Yea, I don't read much for pleasure, not books I buy, anyways. I prefer other activities.
I am getting into some economics books now; they are still.....practical guides for the most part. :)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does your collection include an auto repair manual? ;)

(in all seriousness, though, I also have tons of those, e.g. all-purpose home maintenance guides, knitting pattern books, sewing books, craft manuals that I've never even opened :doh: But I didn't take them to school with me.)
I also keep a list of all the books I read, and rate them. What does that say about my type? :doh:
Dude. My INTJ (formerly INFJ) aunt and her INFJ sister (i.e. my mom) BOTH do that. :yes:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i've read a lot of memoirs and stories about people with hard lives. i have a few psychology books too, also astrology, tarot, palm reading books. my friend said my house was like a 'trippy library' lol.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does your collection include an auto repair manual? ;)

Actually, no. I know very little about cars or motorcycles. Not stereotypical in that way.

(in all seriousness, though, I also have tons of those, e.g. all-purpose home maintenance guides, knitting pattern books, sewing books, craft manuals that I've never even opened :doh: But I didn't take them to school with me.)

Most of mine are cooking, psychology, computer, software, makeup guides. Lately, economics books have been added. :)

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Man, you guys are actually healthy. I have my philosophy readings and... that's it :(

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Herm, had to take a peek at my collection. There's loads more as I've filled up about three bookcases in my room, this is just the gist of it.

Shakespeare
A couple Neil Gaiman books
The Harry Potter series+the Tales of Beedle the Bard
In Cold Blood
A couple Vonnegut books
The high school reading list (A Tale of Two Cities, to Kill a Mockingbird and the like)
Some Haruki Murakami stuff
The Abhorsen trilogy
the Lord of the Rings
A Wizard of Earthsea
Ender's Game
Le Morte De Arthur
Some Amy Tan stuff
Watchmen
His Dark Materials series
Memoirs of notable people both loved and reviled

G

Glycerine

Most of my books are about evo psych (David Buss, Steven Pinker, Richard Dawkins, Charles Darwin...) and philosophy (Aristotle, Locke, J.S. Mill, Karl Marx....)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The genres mostly include:

- Architecture
- Philosophy
- Psychology
- Paranormal
- Religion
- Fantasy
- Art

Silveresque

My bookshelf:

- A large section of dictionaries and books for learning foreign languages
- A handful of fantasy novels
- Some manga
- A couple classics (Of Mice and Men and Siddhartha)
- Some more nonfiction I probably don't need :p

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, but I don't read much. :(

wildflower

great thread :) i read mostly fiction, spiritual stuff, psychology (some type) and art/design books. here's my favorites shelf on my goodreads:
Picture1.png
[/IMG]