User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    Also, I just want to mention that I'm seriously perplexed by how much fiction is in everyone's collections. I feel like I always have to be working on something, hence the out-of-control number of self-help and relationship-improvement books in my collection (as well as the language, crested gecko and craft books). Is there anyone else who relates to this?
    I completely relate to that. So much of what's in my head reads like an endless fantasy; anymore, and I'd be lost. Non-fiction helps me to pull it all together and put into words all that's going on in there. I almost feel like I'm overindulging when I read fiction; like there's something to be done, more to know, and that I'm wasting my time. I spent enormous amounts of time reading fiction prior to discovering psychology and sociology text at around age 11. I mostly read horror and mystery: The Boxcar Children, The Hardy Boys, and a series featuring attractive teenage girl friends who off'ed each other in jealous rages(wish I remembered the name!).
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    I completely relate to that. So much of what's in my head reads like an endless fantasy; anymore, and I'd be lost. Non-fiction helps me to pull it all together and put into words all that's going on in there. I almost feel like I'm overindulging when I read fiction; like there's something to be done, more to know, and that I'm wasting my time. I spent enormous amounts of time reading fiction prior to discovering psychology and sociology text at around age 11. I mostly read horror and mystery: The Boxcar Children, The Hardy Boys, and a series featuring attractive teenage girl friends who off'ed each other in jealous rages(wish I remembered the name!).
    from ages 12 to 14 I read about 40 "Penguin Classics" fiction novels... I definitely relate to the idea of "spending too much time in fantasy land". Its sort of why I cant seriously play video games anymore (ill get done, look at the clock and think: i just wasted 4 hours in fantasy land...Do I really want to waste another 4 hours doing the equivalent of day dreaming???")

MBTI
    isfj
    Enneagram
    9w1

a snapshot of my recent reads, a few of my all time favourites and a couple sitting on my shelf waiting to be read:

Anabel G's Shelf - Shelfari

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

As I child I only read encyclopedias, a whole lot of them. Nowadays I read fiction exclusively, preferably Science Fiction or something psychologically enthralling.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    As I child I only read encyclopedias, a whole lot of them. Nowadays I read fiction exclusively, preferably Science Fiction or something psychologically enthralling.
    I read only encyclopedias, dictionaries and books on space and such as a kid and lately have been stuck on Terry Pratchett and Niel Gaiman!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Bumped! (Sits in front of my book shelf)
    Lots of nursing books- science, on-floor stuff, management, theory.

And- (Bolded are my favorites)

Left Behind, the Godfather, Language of letting Go, Water for Elephants, Kite Runner, Unless, The Imperfectionists, Mountains beyond mountains, Audacity of hope, Fabric of the Cosmos, Notes on Nursing by Florence Nightingale, Emperor of all Maladies, Couple of A.J. Jacobs, (The year of living Biblically, and The Know it All) 4 or 5 audience-friendly neuroscience books- (My favorite is Incognito- secret life of the brain- makes a good case against free will- check it out!) , Brief history of Time, Wally Lamb's "I know this much is true, A Harry Potter (book 6 I think) that I will continue someday, The World is Flat, An Enneagram book, Tuesdays With Morrie, The Little Prince (in English- I don't know where the French version went) and "confident voices"- a book about nursing communications written by a friend- she gave it to me. I had borrowed 1984 but think I gave it back without finishing it. I think I would like to get that one going again. I've got a Kurt Vonnegaut one laying around on my computer waiting to be read- I hear I might like it.

Oh and Louise Hayes- "Experience your good now!" My mom gave that one to me- her entire book shelf is PACKED with self-help and I made a joke about reading all the titles off to her one day. "Be Happy now" "Find your inner confidence" type books that went on and on for miles. I go- "mom! ya happy yet???!" (She also gave me the Language of Letting Go.)

I'm sure I got a few more laying around the house but don't care to go investigate them.

Previous favorite books, (Gone now/ Given away- because I don't tend to read books twice or keep them hanging around) Were Memoirs of a Geisha and Catcher in the Rye.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

I doubt my books reflect anything about type. Last I checked, I don't have any dog eared copies of "Chilton's Complete Guide to Overhauling a 1976 Chevy Camaro". I have rock biographies, fantasy novels, books about pirates and French revolutionaries, Alice in Wonderland, and "academic" studies about the Three Wise Men.

If I used all my books to reflect a type, I'm no type or every type.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I own lots of books scattered throughout the house, in boxes, on common bookshelves in shared space, and on my own bookshelves. Listing would be impractical. I can tell you the types of books I own:

-textbooks I was too lazy to sell, or wanted to keep
    -a few nonfiction popular science type of books - biology or physics, occasionally psychology
    -a few gifted books - usually nothing I like all that much, since apparently people think "oh she reads a lot, I'll buy a random book and she'll like it!"
    -lots of used paperbacks picked up for a dollar or two - mostly fantasy by authors I like (so rereadable) or on occasion, anatomy/biology/nature/psychology books
    -some new pulp fantasy paperbacks - the 8-10$ ones - impulse buys or ones the library doesn't have

I think that's all.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My books go through cycles of purging, so I don't have a proper shelf. If you put together everything I read, it would be a massive amount of Science Fiction, with some Fantasy, and a smattering of non genre. A sizable collection of how-to and art books, and a smattering of non-fiction with only a few biographies included.