• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENxP Hyperactivity

proximo

So I'm in a hyperactive mood and have been since I got out of the world's most boring training day (more details here). You might well cringe at imagining an ENTP in a hyperactive mood, and you're probably right to do so.

And I'm thinking about how my ENFP brother also gets times like this, when he could probably leap St Paul's Cathedral in a single bound, like the now legendary flea.

I've seen ESP's being hyper (I've an ESFP sister), but somehow it's not the same - they're just funny and/or annoying. There's something about ENP's in sugar rush mode that seems to tinge it with a kind of slightly scary edge on top of the usual funny/annoying aspects, like it seems (to the onlooker) just that bit closer to insanity... anyone else notice this? Or am I talking out of my butt just because I'm on overdrive?

:banana2:

I'd love to hear other people's experiences of ENP's when the needle goes off the chart (yeah I know it's usually pretty high anyway), either if you are one or know one. Or if you wanna compare it to other types, that's cool too :)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Ne is most definitely the classical loon (Jim Carrey-ish) function. I know what you mean.

proximo

Ne is most definitely the classical loon (Jim Carrey-ish) function. I know what you mean.

It's sorta like to me, the difference between ESP and ENP in hyper mode is like between Tigger and Daffy Duck :laugh:

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
ENTPs seem quite calm to me they just jump all over the place mentally

proximo

ENTPs seem quite calm to me they just jump all over the place mentally

Usually yeah, but I'm talking about those times like I got this afternoon, when we go all Daffy Duck :)

Be interesting to know what triggers it for other people. For me, it's usually when i've felt "contained" for too long. Particularly if I've had to be silent in the company of others for a long time (which for me is more than an hour).

Lecture type situations can trigger it, as can religious services that have minimal participation. Seminars aren't so bad, but can still sometimes have the same effect if I'm too conscious/wary of dominating it and so holding back a lot because of that.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
Usually yeah, but I'm talking about those times like I got this afternoon, when we go all Daffy Duck :)

Be interesting to know what triggers it for other people. For me, it's usually when i've felt "contained" for too long. Particularly if I've had to be silent in the company of others for a long time (which for me is more than an hour).

Lecture type situations can trigger it, as can religious services that have minimal participation. Seminars aren't so bad, but can still sometimes have the same effect if I'm too conscious/wary of dominating it and so holding back a lot because of that.

I have an ENTP friend who squirms and gets all fidgety just before he makes and observation tells me an idea.

une_autre

MBTI Type
ESTP
I think that hyper ENFPs are creepy. My ENFP friend starts jumping in place and bouncing and doing all sorts of creepy stuff, including half-an-hour laughter episodes (in perfect sobriety).

On the other side, for my ENTP friend, being hyper means waking up before 12 and, occasionally, being on time. Her hyper-ness manifests itself mentally.

proximo

On the other side, for my ENTP friend, being hyper means waking up before 12

:laugh: so true!

Soz guys, I wasn't here to nurture the thread, my hyperactivity led me to a pub where loud live music was being played, and I headbanged and jumped around and had to yell at the top of my lungs to just get heard by the barman when ordering another pint, and thus, return satiated and not quite drunk (a hereditary curse: takes quite a few to take effect).

And it could've been so good, too!

proximo

All the same, I think 'creepy' is a bit harsh. More of a testament to narrow horizons of the easily creeped out person than anything else :D

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Most of my energy is mental, and I don't think I've ever been described as hyper by anyone who knows me. Based on what une autre said though, I guess someone out in the world would find me occasionally hyper. I act "childlike" when I get the rare burst of excessive physical energy, and I also get tickled to tears sometimes. Hell yea. Creepy indeed!:devil:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I pace the room, sometimes bound around, like leaping. I also take a lot of walks, and can go through bursts where I talk a lot and laugh and don't want to shut up...though I'm not nearly as talktative as an ESFP or even an ENFJ. I can get really intense about stuff I'm talking about, and that's what can get "creepy." I dunno - maybe people think my pacing is creepy too, but whatever.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
You might well cringe at imagining an ENTP in a hyperactive mood, and you're probably right to do so.
I quoted the title to my husband. His reaction:
"That's an evidence" - meaning, ENTPs are always hyperactive...
But to me, that's not true. There's hyperactive and there's exam modus, which is hyper²active.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
just remembered...one night in hyper mode i accidentally put an exclamation mark after my username while i was logging on...ha!! ridiculousness...i'm usually pretty calm but sometimes i get in super excited giggly mode...i have no idea what triggers it.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
just remembered...one night in hyper mode i accidentally put an exclamation mark after my username while i was logging on...ha!! ridiculousness...i'm usually pretty calm but sometimes i get in super excited giggly mode...i have no idea what triggers it.
:laugh:That's something I'd do.

Qre:us

People can usually tell when I'm hyperactive, my Ne is going :wacko:.....any thought thrown at me, I'm reshaping, molding, squeezing, stretching, and volleying it back, in its new-(not necessarily improved) form, back to the other.

Them: :shock:

And, when their response is even a simple confusion, like above, I'm off, reshaping, molding, squeezing, stretching and volleying back that poor little simple response.

And, on and on and on....

And, the other usually tells me.......they're kind of exhausted. Mentally. Trying to keep up.

Physically, I don't show any real signs of hyperactivity. It's when I'm bouncing around looking for someone to play with me, mentally. And, any scrap I find, I grab on, and, all these volley back to them is done in super-fast speed.

One of my friends used to say of my mental state during those moments, "...it's like watching a hummingbird on speed!"

:doh:

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People can usually tell when I'm hyperactive, my Ne is going :wacko:.....any thought thrown at me, I'm reshaping, molding, squeezing, stretching, and volleying it back, in its new-(not necessarily improved) form, back to the other.

Them: :shock:

And, when their response is even a simple confusion, like above, I'm off, reshaping, molding, squeezing, stretching and volleying back that poor little simple response.

And, on and on and on....

And, the other usually tells me.......they're kind of exhausted. Mentally. Trying to keep up.

Physically, I don't show any real signs of hyperactivity. It's when I'm bouncing around looking for someone to play with me, mentally. And, any scrap I find, I grab on, and, all these volley back to them is done in super-fast speed.

One of my friends used to say of my mental state during those moments, "...it's like watching a hummingbird on speed!"

:doh:

I pretty well do the same, start combining things, but mostly physical things (which is probably because I think very visually). I will often just play with things, combining them until they make something cool, artistic or just plain odd. I'm too unco to get physically hyperactive.

proximo

That's what I mean, it's more mentally driven than physically, but when the mental energy reaches a certain point, and it's been bottled up for too long, removing the cork can have an overwhelming effect. I release the energy into conversation, but there's so much that it becomes a physical affair too, with the gestures and all that, like Robin Williams on crack :laugh:

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I pace the room, sometimes bound around, like leaping. I also take a lot of walks, and can go through bursts where I talk a lot and laugh and don't want to shut up...though I'm not nearly as talktative as an ESFP or even an ENFJ. I can get really intense about stuff I'm talking about, and that's what can get "creepy." I dunno - maybe people think my pacing is creepy too, but whatever.
I do all those things, and I'm definitely introverted. When I have sit down and can't frantically bob my legs or tap/play with my hands enough to satisfy the need (e.g. when on the Internet), I'll also rock backwards and forwards like an autistic person, which certainly creeps people out, but I can't help it. I also look and sound very tense or on edge most of the time as if ready to pounce, due to suppressed restlessness. Mine's clinical though, it's worse whenever I'm trying to make my mind follow through with something (which is most of the time), because movement increases levels of dopamine and blood flow in areas of the brain that are crucial for focus and other aspects of executive functioning, so my unconscious urge is to do more of it.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
My hyperactiveness leads me to goig crazy jumping up and down, talking very loudly and quickly! Its insanely fun! and scary for other people especially when at dinner with a knife in hand making huge hand gestures!

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP

Exact same. I'll stay up talking to my sis (INFP) for ages then she goes to bed and I spent hours just pacing the kitchen with the same piece of music going over and over and over just pacing its incredibly peaceful.

Sometimes like at my grans i'll sit till 5am on piano or guitar just playing the same chords over and over singing everything that comes mind.