User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: J Vs P

MBTI
    INFP

Exclamation J Vs P

This is a bit of a n00b question, but bare with me. I want to know the real difference between Judging and Percieving. I know the whole more orderly and structured Vs more disorganized, but how deep, and in what areas does it go? I'm not very organized when it comes to things like my desk, and I leave most things until the last minute (calling places/people I need to call, homework when I was in school etc.)

But when it comes to other things I'm organized, and really need structure, to the point I'm kinda obsessive about it. For an example, I plan what I want/need to do in my head, and would rather plan it out than leave it. I ask people what the plans are, because it makes me feel uncomfortable not knowing, and I can't just relax. I seem to be planned internally, but not-so-planned externally. The odd thing is my (J)boyfriend is the opposite in that way - he's more orderly on the outside than me, but more easy-going and relaxed with the things I'm less relaxed about. But I guess other functions, and other things come into play there.

So what is the best way to really sort this out?
    INFP~ 4w5 ~ sx/sp ~ IEI ~ Libra

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Well, J and P refer, specifically, to that which you do outwardly. Since you plan inwardly more, that betrays your P preference (Judging is inward, Perception is outward). Your boyfriend is J, and thus plans outwardly.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Well, J and P refer, specifically, to that which you do outwardly. Since you plan inwardly more, that betrays your P preference (Judging is inward, Perception is outward). Your boyfriend is J, and thus plans outwardly.
    OK, I guess that was my question made more simple and direct. I did think this was the case, but sometimes I'll ponder because of how planned I can be inwardly.

Thanks!
    INFP~ 4w5 ~ sx/sp ~ IEI ~ Libra

MBTI
    xxxx

It's the fun little paradox for introverts that J/P determines their second function.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

P's have an introverted judging function (Ti or Fi) while J's will have an extraverted judging function (Te or Fe) so a P would be more organized internally (like you) while your Judger bf will be more organized externally!

Success!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Yeah, as has been said, all that the P/J thing refers to is the first extroverted function. With Ps, it's precieving, and with Js it judging. The order of the functions has an influence, but its worth remembering it is different for ExxP/Js and IxxP/Js.

If the judging functions is primary (ExxJ and IxxPs) then the individual places more empthasis on reaching decisions (and acting on them for a ExxJ). Primary precievers (ExxP and IxxJ) take longer gathering information before they come to a conclusion (or perhaps never bother to judge it all, if it doesn't seem important).

THe other thing that is worth noting is that while IxxPs come to conclusions more quickly than IxxJs, the IxxJs often appear to be more decisive of the two, because their auxilary judging function is extroverted, and demands that action be taken on its conclusions, where as the IxxPs primary but introverted judging function does not! The IxxJs primary percievinf function is introverted, which means that its action is often invisible to outside observers. All they see is them "suddenly" decide to do something, without realising just how long they spent mulling the whole thing over in their heads.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by GirlFromMars View Post
    This is a bit of a n00b question, but bare with me. I want to know the real difference between Judging and Percieving. I know the whole more orderly and structured Vs more disorganized, but how deep, and in what areas does it go? I'm not very organized when it comes to things like my desk, and I leave most things until the last minute (calling places/people I need to call, homework when I was in school etc.)

But when it comes to other things I'm organized, and really need structure, to the point I'm kinda obsessive about it. For an example, I plan what I want/need to do in my head, and would rather plan it out than leave it. I ask people what the plans are, because it makes me feel uncomfortable not knowing, and I can't just relax. I seem to be planned internally, but not-so-planned externally. The odd thing is my (J)boyfriend is the opposite in that way - he's more orderly on the outside than me, but more easy-going and relaxed with the things I'm less relaxed about. But I guess other functions, and other things come into play there.

So what is the best way to really sort this out?
    The bottom line difference is that J prefers closure and to have things decided.
    P resists closure and prefers to leave their options open as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    The bottom line difference is that J prefers closure and to have things decided.
    P resists closure and prefers to leave their options open as long as possible.
    This is actually rather misleading, like all of the dichotomies. For example, unhealthy IxxPs (who aren't willing to adapt to new information) will likely seek closure rather than keep their options open.
    Hello

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    This is actually rather misleading, like all of the dichotomies. For example, unhealthy IxxPs (who aren't willing to adapt to new information) will likely seek closure rather than keep their options open.
    Well, if someone is unhealthy it's unlikely they can be properly typed anyway.
    Obviously the "rule" applies in the most general sense in the most "typical" of circumstances... not for exceptions.

MBTI
    nite
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    If the judging functions is primary (ExxJ and IxxPs) then the individual places more empthasis on reaching decisions (and acting on them for a ExxJ). Primary precievers (ExxP and IxxJ) take longer gathering information before they come to a conclusion (or perhaps never bother to judge it all, if it doesn't seem important).

THe other thing that is worth noting is that while IxxPs come to conclusions more quickly than IxxJs, the IxxJs often appear to be more decisive of the two, because their auxilary judging function is extroverted, and demands that action be taken on its conclusions, where as the IxxPs primary but introverted judging function does not! The IxxJs primary percievinf function is introverted, which means that its action is often invisible to outside observers. All they see is them "suddenly" decide to do something, without realising just how long they spent mulling the whole thing over in their heads.
    Right. IJs sometimes get lost in information gathering mode and don't use their supporting EJ function properly to structure, reach conclusions and limit options, and thus wind up looking like Ps.

Overall the J (organized and decisive) and P (disorganized and indecisive) stereotypes are not always a reliable indicator.
    X___________________________________

If things are not what they seem, and we are forever reminded that this is the casethen it must also be observed that enough of us ignore this truth to keep the world from collapsing. Thomas Ligotti, The Mystics of Muelenberg