User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Default Science Project: MBTI Patterns in Families

If you couldn't tell () I'm still in school. For my school's yearly science fair I decided to submit an original study (Or what has been deemed original, for my science teacher nor I could find anyone else who'd done this study) of MBTI personalities and their patterns in biological families. I saw some promising data, but I was only able to get 4 families to participate. I suppose the idea would be nature more than nurture, which is why I only used biological families.

Hypothesis:

Personality traits will show patterns in families like genetics, because they are encoded in genetics, and each offspring will inherit 50% or more of their personality from one parents, just like dominant genes.

Want to hear my conclusion?

Well it's actually really simple. I couldn't get enough families to participate to show any real data. My project is all turned in and whatnot, but I'm curious to see if my theory has any chance. A lot of people I know and who I have talked to are actually extremely interested by my experiment, so I was wondering if all you lovely TC people could provide me with your birth parents, any siblings you share the same biological parents with, and your MBTI types.

Feedback and debate is also welcome and appreciated and I'll post my final conclusion if anyone is interested.

Sorry about my hiatus from the site (Crazy family and personal health problems), but I'm glad to be back! :blushing:

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have not ever seen any real correlation between MBTI types running in families. Behaviors related more to upbringing (e.g., ways of doing things) seems far more prevalent. In either case, since most people of bio relation also live together, it's also hard to determine nature vs nurture... although if it was nature, you'd think kids would be a LOT more similar to parents considering they're nurtured to be such as well.

But for the data, I and an ENFP cousin are the only N's in my entire "general" family tree -- which includes mom, dad, sister, both sets of grandparents, my eight aunts and uncles, and ten cousins AND their spouses. (Weird how perception functions predominate.)

Mom: ISFJ
    Sister: ISFJ
    Dad: ESTP

My two biological children:
    - INTP
    - ESFP
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

garbage

I love these freakin' threads

Mom: ISFJ
    Dad: ENTP
    Me: ENFP
    Sister: ESFJ
    Half-brother (dad's side): ENTJ

No clue about anyone else in my extended family at all, but these are all pretty much spot-on and confirmed by my dad as well.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Thanks for your responses. Personally, I'm skeptical of my hypothesis, but some people seem to believe as much as I roll my eyes. Your data will help me finalize everything. Thank you!

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Father: ESTP
    Mother: INTJ

Half Brother (from father's previous marriage, raised by my bio mom): ISFP
    Half Sister (from father's previous marriage, raised by my bio mom): INFP
    Me: INFP
    Younger Full Brother: ISTP
    Youngest Full Brother: ENTP
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

cataplum!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I believe my dad is ISTP and my mom is esFP. I don't have any full siblings and couldn't venture much of a guess on my brothers' fathers.

I'm an INFj and my husband is an INTP. We have four children:
    InTJ daughter
    InFP daughter
    E?Tj son
    InTP son

I used lower case letters where I was either unsure of preference or it is not a strongly expressed preference.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP

Father: ESTP
    Mother: ISFJ
    Sister: ISFJ
    Brother: ISTP
    (I'm INFP)
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Recommend you search the forum for "MBTI family genetics" or something along those lines. There's been a survey done in the past... I believe there's at least 20 sample there
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

Mother: ENFJ
    Father: ISTJ
    Brother: ESFP
    Hello

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I have not ever seen any real correlation between MBTI types running in families. Behaviors related more to upbringing (e.g., ways of doing things) seems far more prevalent. In either case, since most people of bio relation also live together, it's also hard to determine nature vs nurture... although if it was nature, you'd think kids would be a LOT more similar to parents considering they're nurtured to be such as well.

But since you want some data.....

Me: INFJ
    Mom: ISTJ
    Dad: ISFJ
    Brother: INTP
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ