User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Do you think it is possible that NTs (esp. NTPs) are not good at academic writing?

To begin with, I am sure that everything can be possible in every type....... but I always thought that somehow NTs must be good at structuring academic papers, good at arguing etc.
    I have some friends whom I believe to be NTs, one NTP possibly and one NTJ, and I have noticed that they have difficulty with writing academic texts (even though I believe both to be fairly intelligent), even with the structure. I have read text by both of them and they were sooo short I was almost shocked.... My supposedly NTJ friend was good at bringing things to the point, but she was not really elaborating on her ideas. Similar this NTP friend....a strange mix of expressing things to the point and adding sentences that seemed to lack content at all......
    Maybe this is just due to the individuals abilities in writing.....but I found this strange somehow.....

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

My lab writeups and papers were always under the page limits, yet I was never penalized, except once.

If these are young NTs they might be still getting the hang of it, sometimes what seems like an obvious conclusion to the NT is not obvious to the reader. That's something my writing teacher told me in high school, and I've tried to keep it in mind ever since.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    My lab writeups and papers were always under the page limits, yet I was never penalized, except once.

If these are young NTs they might be still getting the hang of it, sometimes what seems like an obvious conclusion to the NT is not obvious to the reader. That's something my writing teacher told me in high school, and I've tried to keep it in mind ever since.
    Thank you for your reply. This seems helpful .... they are both in the latter half of their twenties..... But the "obvious conclusion" that is may not be so obvious to other readers is something I have noticed in texts of both of them....

MBTI
    CAT

I don't think such thing is type related. I know a few ENTPs and ENTJs who are excellent at academic writing and at least one INTJ who is very good. But then, I went to a very prestigious high school, which definitely has something to do with that (much more than the people's "types"). I think that this skill requires both talent and education, and type alone doesn't matter that much. Neither age, for that matter.
    Her head hung down
    Gazed at earth, finally keen,
    As the rabbit at the stoat,
    Till the earth was sky,
    Sky that was green,
    And brown clouds passed
    Like chestnut leaves along the ground.

- SUSAN ANN AND IMMORTALITY, T. E. Hulme

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Well, I'm terrible with academic papers/essays etc, however I have had a LOT of compliments about my creative writing/satire.

I think it all comes down to the issue many NTPs have with structure. You have to have a broad but concise and to-the-point thesis statement in essays, have to lay out your arguments step by step, painstakingly inserting bits of evidence that supports your statement, and then an explanation about how it all ties in, etc transition to the next statement seamlessly, etc etc. Very methodical, very...zzzzz. This is why Adderall was invented..

Oh, and the SOURCES. :steam:

There are few things worse than having rummage through musty books that are only distantly related to what you have to write about. (You'll find books about Egypt and mummies, but NOT about why the ancient Egyptians were actually black...*not something I personally agree or disagree with...to me, they're decayed and green in their rot and that's all that matters...*)

So TRY finding all the required TEN sources, NOT from the internet, and then THE CITATIONS, goddamn the CITATIONS. MLA, AAA, WTF. It's a royal pain in the donkey to have to go and quote the "proper" way, remember where to put the page number, footnotes, bibliography, put the periods and spacing in the proper place in the bibliography. Just thinking about it makes me see blood.

And please have a HARD COPY on my desk next week at 8:00AM sharp, or you'll FLUNK the class, as it's 40% of your grade. Oh, and the paper is a 15-page MINIMUM. Forget to staple, and you lose 10 points!!

hahaha...HAhaha...MUAHAHAHAHA!......

Oh...my point is, I always got C's on these things, because there's no quick, painless way to do them. All the red x's on my papers had a way of dampening my enthusiasm.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Well, I myself I have always been really good at writing, and writing anything. Essays, books, poetry, etc, I can do it. I get excited to write papers over how easy it is.

However, I do agree with above poster that the GODDAMN CITATIONS in these stupid papers drive me up a wall! I tend to just kind of skim through my sources, make some stuff up, leave some stuff out, and hope I don't lose points. Citations should not be included in a paper! This is for education!

But yes, papers are fun!
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    However, I do agree with above poster that the GODDAMN CITATIONS in these stupid papers drive me up a wall!
    They drive everyone up a wall
    Her head hung down
    Gazed at earth, finally keen,
    As the rabbit at the stoat,
    Till the earth was sky,
    Sky that was green,
    And brown clouds passed
    Like chestnut leaves along the ground.

- SUSAN ANN AND IMMORTALITY, T. E. Hulme

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Sources are fucking stupid--especially when you're fucking writing about some author's shitty-ass literature books. It's like, "Really? I can see that Biff wants to have children of his own by how he treats little girls. I don't need John and/or Jane Doe to fucking point that out for me."
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Academic writing, like any skill, just takes practice. Some people have a natural penchant for certain aspects of academic writing, but IME there are a lot of things to consider:

1) Understanding the topic
    2) Writing in detail about all the different aspects of the topic
    3) Communicating the details in some understandable way
    4) Balancing detail with organization
    5) Writing on a level that is not too in depth for the interested readers but not too superficial to be deemed "laymen"
    6) Structuring sentences and using elegant diction to give off an aura of sophistication

NTPs are probably good at 1, 3 and 6. NTJs would probably be good at all of those, though (thus why INTJs are so drawn to the sciences). I see NTPs in a position that's generating ideas, and NTJs in a position that's actually following through with those ideas, finding corollary ideas/problems, getting shit done, and publishing their works. NTPs are good at teaching their ideas and making their ideas sound appealing/exciting, but I don't really think they are good at focusing on some important details that aren't as exciting, which is a really important facet of academic writing.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Oddity View Post
    They drive everyone up a wall
    I would rather eat a citation than write one :steam:

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!!! RAWERRZZRKK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Sources are fucking stupid--especially when you're fucking writing about some author's shitty-ass literature books. It's like, "Really? I can see that Biff wants to have children of his own by how he treats little girls. I don't need John and/or Jane Doe to fucking point that out for me."
    Sigh. I need to force the government to make any type of sourcing illegal, unless it is copyrighted.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex