First 123 Last

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I'm really good at academic writing, and I have a strong Te so they are organized pretty well. Very concise. My papers tend to be on the shorter side initially because everything seems so... obvious. And elaborating would seem so fake and patronizing, imo.

I was often told that my blunt, direct way of communicating comes off as arrogant because I expect people to "catch up with my train of thought". So I always edit in more fluff for wider appeal. But it took time to learn that. I am also criticized of writing from a very detached viewpoint that states the facts and does not try to engage the reader or make emotional appeals. I have yet to decide if that's a positive or negative thing, so I still do it.

On the other hand, my INTP bf never leaves one single detail out. He says in 10 pages what could easily be said in one or two. He speaks like that, as well. I have never once gotten through one single analytical essay he's ever written, and he's a professional writer. But I think his audience is other INTPs.

MBTI
    INFP

I proofread a few college papers for an INTP. The ideas in them were great. The structure, grammar, and punctuation were horrific. I've also read a few papers an INTJ wrote for school, and she did a pretty decent job, although she used a lot of big words that just didn't seem to 'flow' well, which was distracting.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    eNTP

I'd say I'm pretty good at writing in general, although i definitely have been known to sort of blast my way through the structural stuff, and yes, my papers always turned out to be too short. My teachers were really nice about it, though.
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always “lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments.” He concluded that “There is more than one way of doing good science.”
    It was Watson’s form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve “the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA.” It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.

MBTI
    eNTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I'm really good at academic writing, and I have a strong Te so they are organized pretty well. Very concise. My papers tend to be on the shorter side initially because everything seems so... obvious. And elaborating would seem so fake and patronizing, imo.

I was often told that my blunt, direct way of communicating comes off as arrogant because I expect people to "catch up with my train of thought". So I always edit in more fluff for wider appeal. But it took time to learn that. I am also criticized of writing from a very detached viewpoint that states the facts and does not try to engage the reader or make emotional appeals. I have yet to decide if that's a positive or negative thing, so I still do it.
    This.
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always “lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments.” He concluded that “There is more than one way of doing good science.”
    It was Watson’s form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve “the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA.” It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    It's like, "Really? I can see that Biff wants to have children of his own by how he treats little girls. I don't need John and/or Jane Doe to fucking point that out for me."
    Perhaps it is situations like this where NTs struggle with academic writing. The way we figure things out seems to be more about taking clues from within the original information and using basic truths to make sense of it and give it new meaning, and less about "Jack said this, and Jill said this, so it must be true." I struggle with having reasoned to a conclusion and then having to put in citations somehow... it is just so cluttering and unnecessary.

Also, I still do not see the division between my ideas and others ideas. Finding who originated a certain idea seems nearly impossible. And for general ideas, there is so much overlap to who thought of what. Anyway, I do not know what to make of this "intellectual ownership" business...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

No
    NTPs are masters of pretending they know what the hell theyre talking about.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    My lab writeups and papers were always under the page limits, yet I was never penalized, except once.
    Hang on, a page limit is a maximum, isn't it?
    To me, to the point and clear are the ways to go.

I've never had real difficulties with it. One of my research papers (a very short one indeed, about a small but quite essential problem) has been accepted "as is" by a science journal, so I guess I'm fairly on the mark!

But then again, I love writing, so probably I'm just experienced at it due to lots of exercise... I've given some hints about academic writing in the "ask an ENTP" thread, too.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I have no trouble with academic writing.

To be honest, it's a medium I'm more comfortable with.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Ti vs Te would probably lead to different writing styles, but I think either can learn to excel in this area, it's not really an inborn trait but more of a learned one, though it comes more naturally to some.

I identify with most of the Ti users here. I have been doing well in scientific academic writing so far though I did relatively poorly in "english class" writing, which I loathed.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Ti vs Te would probably lead to different writing styles, but I think either can learn to excel in this area, it's not really an inborn trait but more of a learned one, though it comes more naturally to some.

I identify with most of the Ti users here. I have been doing well in scientific academic writing so far though I did relatively poorly in "english class" writing, which I loathed.
    English class writing was the most difficult subject I faced... I had no idea what they wanted me to write, and I had a really awesome habit of forgetting what the question was... not to mention I'd write 2 pages worth of stuff... then scribble most of it out, my entire book was a mess, I even started writing in pencil lol. I can write scientific articles quite well, most of the ones I've written have achieved 90% marks or so... the ones that didn't were marked by angry teachers
    5 3 9