User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Thread: Ne and Ni

MBTI
    abcd

Default About Ni and Ne

My mom and I are both intuitive, but I think in different way and I would like to know which type of intuition we have.

Two examples:

My mom has intuition in the way of a sort of sixth sense. She sometimes says: It's time I don't see that person, he has some issues surely. Or, I think that girl seems good, but I have bad impression, I think finally she will leave him.
    Often my mom is right in her prevision without fact.

My intuition is more about noticing impercettible details, but I cannot explain how. For example: I usually can predict a scene in a thriller movie or I can find instantanely which information in a tons of informations is important and I need to focus on.

Any thought?

If you're talking about prevision (or "foresight" in general), especially "without fact", you're talking about Ni.

Parts of the second one feels more like Si, the ability to pick out small details that are relevant from a sea of information. Could just be Ne working with Si to make predictions based on your experience with thriller movies.
    Hello

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Ni is the one which groups your experiences into concepts; it can retrieve "how to make hot water" from your memory when asked how to make hot chocolate; it is responsible for the transfer of knowledge to other domains.
    That is most definitely Si, not Ni.

Both Si and Ni deal with personalized interpretation of meaning and significance.

Si does this by associating every possible sign with a consistent meaning based on what that sign has meant in past experience. e.g., "When I put these ingredients together this way, I get hot chocolate." Si wants a map of experiences so that it can avoid dealing with unknown or unpredictable variables.

Ni, on the other hand, does this by associating every possible sign with every possible meaning or interpretation that could be associated with it, and trying to remove itself from bias toward any particular interpretation. "When I put these ingredients together this way, why should I assume that I get hot chocolate? What perceptual bias is unconsciously affecting me due to my decision to associate this sign with this meaning?"

As the LTEW reminds us,

Si: Until I can find it on a map that I can carry around complete within myself, providing a set of things to look for and meanings that they correspond to, I don't see how I can relate to it.

Ni: Until I can separate myself from its built-in interpretations and see it from the outside, in terms of a framework that is independent of everything about it, I refuse to relate to it. You can't make me look--at least, not your way.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

^I like that a lot:

What perceptual bias is unconsciously affecting me due to my decision to associate this sign with this meaning?"
    so so true. it's the driving force behind everything for me. also even deals with things/people consciously affecting me: people's opinions, popular opinion, arguements. like don't try to influence me, I will figure it out on my own.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by human101 View Post
    Ne steps out of the box and makes sense of it's universal features
    Ni doesn't acknowledge box until they create their own box which they compare to the original existing box.
    DArned accurate
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    My mom has intuition in the way of a sort of sixth sense. She sometimes says: It's time I don't see that person, he has some issues surely. Or, I think that girl seems good, but I have bad impression, I think finally she will leave him.
    Often my mom is right in her prevision without fact. Any thought?
    I'd say this is more of the Feeling function, stepping into the shoes of someone else and getting a read on the situation. Ni and Ne are more about drawing connections, whether among internal or external perceptions.
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    I have to say the cescritpion in the OP just sounds like what I always thought Ti is:
    No. It's not Ti. Ti does not create possibilities of a situation. It deducts logical conclusions of a situation.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    No. It's not Ti. Ti does not create possibilities of a situation. It deducts logical conclusions of a situation.
    Ok then. I'd never heard that description of Ni.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENTP

Argh. :steam: Every description of Ni I encounter looks like it's some paranormal ability; and whenever I try to describe it I seem to end up either with Ne or Si. I just don't get that function!
    ... Okay, I'll try again:

Comparing with Si:
    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    That is most definitely Si, not Ni.
    Both Si and Ni deal with personalized interpretation of meaning and significance.
    Si does this by associating every possible sign with a consistent meaning based on what that sign has meant in past experience. e.g., "When I put these ingredients together this way, I get hot chocolate."
    Yes, that's Si indeed. But I wasn't talking about retrieving a known recipe for hot chocolate. I was talking about the transfer of knowledge. About using the known recipe for hot water for the new situation of hot chocolate for which you don't know the recipe.
    Si is like an algorithm - if I do this, I will get that. If faced with this situation, react that way.
    Ni is like heuristics - when faced with an unknown situation, look for known situations that are similar; try to anticipate with "what-if" questions,...
    Si is learning by heart; a fitting reaction to every situation.
    Ni is making the connections between different bits of knowledge, more like "understanding".
    Whenever my students talk about "understanding", they talk about placing the knowledge in the context of knowledge already present in their mind. Ni?

Comparing with Ne:
    Ni does more or less the same as Ne, making associations, and the difference is this:
    Ne has to be fueled with observations from the outside world and/or with new abstract ideas and concepts spoken or written by other persons.
    Ni works with the information already present in the mind.

Am I in the ball park?
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I wanted to use this thread to add the little following.

Si: '[self] is health'
    Ni: '[self] becomes health'
    Se: 'environment is health' (attraction of the environment)
    Ne: 'environment becomes health' (protection of the environment)

Just a little cryptic...

Well in line with:

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    • Extraverted Sensation (Se) says that the observable world is filled with wonderful stimuli, and all you have to do is let yourself react to it. No need to think, just react. The meaning of something is what your gut tells you you should do in response. If it's not here or not now, it's not real.
    • Introverted Intuition (Ni) says that the observable world is arbitrary and deceitful, and not representative of all the possible interpretations of itself. You have to liberate yourself from these arbitrary interpretations by considering all possible interpretations, or you will risk being led astray.

• Extraverted Intuition (Ne) says that everything in the observable world is connected to a greater context, and it allows you to make contextual connections between this object and another one. Through this act of discovery, we become aware of greater possibilities for meaning, knowledge or action.
    • Introverted Sensation (Si) says that the observable world is so overwhelmingly filled with stimuli and randomness that you need something stable to focus on, or you'll just be permanently overwhelmed and confused.
    INtj | 9w1