User Tag List

First 1725262728 Last

Thread: Ne and Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    My kind of Ne starts with stars that are capped at 8x the mass of our Sun.
    Supernova, black hole, time warp, white hole, blue giant, supernova, black hole?

Assuming white holes exist.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    That's a very strange thing to say. A lot of creativity is partly vengeful, intrigued with vilifying things as they are... but I know I'm personally too much of a pussy to really want to kill anything.

But then, that that even makes sense-- that shying from wanting to bring death could be at all like cowardice, is only further infuriating to me... so maybe you have something there. But now I sound like a crazy person.
    Dude it was a drypan joke. Don't hurt yourself. Maybe that was a bad idea.

Ne extrapolates
    Ni interpolates
    Ne sees how the scene changes
    Ni sees behind the scenes
    Ne juggles multiple possibilities, but needs some degree of external input to affirm what's in the mind's eye
    Ni gathers a hunch so strong that external input is scarcely needed to lend the image to one's mind's eye

Both deal with vague, "big picture" perceptions. They are "big" in that they are bound to symbols and interpretations, reflecting personal significance rather than a file cabinet of detailed sense perceptions.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Default Ne vs Ni

I've been wondering lately if my Ni's even stronger than I thought... enough for me to question my type, which I assure you is not a common thing for me to do.

When I was in my early teens (I think, could've been earlier), I did one of those IQ tests that broke down intelligence into different regions and had different tests for each of them (memory, reading comprehension and whatnot, forgot the details). The test that I did the best in (full marks) involved the shrink choosing 2 objects and me telling her what they had in common. For example, what do a sword and a lake have in common? Well, they both reflect light (that was my answer anyway).

I have always been very good at this. Heck, I force myself to do this all the time as a mental exercise. It's true that Ne makes connections, but I don't think this is the type of connections they mean. It's not like I saw a lake and went "oooooh shiny, oh I know, swords are shiny too!". Don't get me wrong, I do that a lot too, but this seems to be pattern recognition, something that is key in Ni. This seems to be Ni to me, at least functionally.

I also seem to use Ni a lot more than Ne in my hobbies. I have very few spontaneous, creative activities that Ne users would strive on. I've been looking for a creative outlet for ages, but truth be told, I always just end up playing video games or something, rather than trying something creative. I say it's important to me, but it always seems to get out-prioritised.

Most of you don't know this, but I am a successful, competitive pokemon player (there's a point to this, I swear). What made me successful was my conceptual ability. I'm very good at sitting down and analysing the game, looking for 'the key to winning', finding the core concepts of the game and forcing a victory. This to me isn't Ne at all. I know a lot of Ne dom players who find lots of new possibilities and strive off them. I however, really don't do that at all. It seems to me that I approach the game in an Ni sort of way and Ne is just secondary, used when I need ways to take advantage of my theoretical observations.

Maybe I'm just confusing the 2 functions again. Do I have these functions right?
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

I have no idea but keep me posted when you find the answer. I don't think I understand very well what Ni is. Also, your last paragraph, could that be Ti?? I have problems sometimes differentiating intuition from thinking?! I don't know, I'm confused a lot about the functions, sorry I couldn't help you.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I think you are confusing the functions.

Ne is mostly about cross-contextual thinking, seeking patterns unconsciouly about whats being perceived in external world and comparing these patterns to existing ones.

There was this tv commercial which displays perfectly what this is about.

The commercial is about some health drink. There is father and son and the dad is trying to explain why its good to drink it, he starts to tell about calsium, how it strenghtens bones, about vitamins, immune system etc and how they work to the kid, but keeps noticing that his explanations are way too complex for kid this age to understand. Then the kid asks; "so its like this bike helmet, but for the whole body?".

The way this kid figured out what his dad was trying to say and was able to create a working metaphor for it is cross-contextual thinking.

Ni on the other hand is combining known facts(from Se and J functions) to form a big picture of how something and seeing where these facts lead to.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I see Ne asks for the how rather than the why and I see Ni asks for the why rather than the how.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I see Ne asks for the how rather than the why and I see Ni asks for the why rather than the how.
    It's more like Ne is the reporter asking all the questions and Ni is the late night radio person reflecting about the report

MBTI
    xxTP

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default NI vs. NE

NI vs. NE

The idea of NI and NE against each other is best exemplified by understanding frameworks.

A framework is a system of thought or a way of doing things which acts as basis for a system.

If your framework for success, for example, is static, then you are NI. If you believe that you have to do the same thing day in and day out to achieve goal x or y, to that degree you are NI.

If you on the other hand have a more flexible way of achieving success then you are NE.

Based on how you interact with frameworks you can determine NE vs. NI. It should be noted that no one sticks with one framework and no one always sticks to many frameworks. Someone is in between NE and NI but no one in themselves embodies NE or NI in totality. We will always find someone who is more extroverted and less extroverted than oursrelves, not to mention that what is not regarded in mbti or typology is the context of the situation.

A person who is NE at work might be NI at home for example. This tiered, or echelon nature of personality is analogues to electron shells and is missing from teh current theory...which is why mbti or typology is lacking in degrees of resolution.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.