Thread: Ne and Ni

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime
    Ne, though, seeks to grasp everything that the object's essential nature says about the object itself, i.e. its "possibilities." Ni, on the other hand, seeks to grasp everything that the object itself says about its essential nature.
    i'm not sure i understand how what you are saying is different from what i am saying?

what is the difference between the object and its essential nature? is its essential nature not the object itself?

it would seem that the object and the essential nature are always the same. just like you can't ever not "be yourself", even though people like to say "be yourself". you are always being yourself.

Si anchors Ne by providing categories. Without those categories, there is no way of knowing what data point A already needs. Se anchors Ni by paying attention to detail. Without that detail, there is no way to understand the essential distinction between things, and thus no way to determine the true essence.
    what data point A needs? i am not sure what you mean. as in what is needed to make it "whole"?

it seems to me that Se data points indicate endings and beginnings for Ni to work with. time spans. processes. becomings. is this what you mean?

i think mostly i am confused by the differentiation of an object and its "essence".

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    perfect!!

and thank you saturned... admittedly half my "explanations" are me trying to explain things to myself

but INTPness' diagram - makes it easy to see why Ne doms are Ps and Ni doms are Js, no? Ne doms inherently move away from closure, whereas Ni doms move towards it.
    skylights.

Visual Aids = so much win!

And it does explain why the Ne dom/aux people are P's and why Ni dom/aux is J.

*passes out ribbons to all participants* Everyone did extremely well in this thread, but some did more well than others. *pins shiny pink glitter bow onto Skylights*

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Well, yeah, Ni is about focusing/honing in on something. Sticking to an idea, building upon it, taking other seemingly unrelated (but related) things to build upon that same idea. Not branching out into multiple ideas. It's always honing inwards and focusing on something, and sticking to that - aiming to grasp that 'one thing'/'truth' relevant to the situation at hand. Wanting that closure/resolution/finality/'answer' to that thing.

Anyway, I think this is my all-time favorite Ni thread on the forums... http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...what-hell.html
    any chance you could pull a few really good posts out of that? 35 pages... so... much... information o_____o

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Yeah, helps me understand why INTJ's are so driven and focused and don't tolerate much goofing around outside of the things they are focused on. Whereas, Ne users want to goof around and explore all the time - always new things, new things, new things.
    Well, yeah... I think NJ's in general want there to a 'point'/end-goal/focus to discussion, since we're naturally more driven to closure and wanting to hone in on one topic and discuss/explore in depth. Reaching clarity/understanding on that one theme.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    any chance you could pull a few really good posts out of that? 35 pages... so... much... information o_____o

hehe... the problem is that I find TONS of posts in that thread brilliant - it's a thread full of Ni-doms discussing all of the nuances/facets of Ni in depth; I'm not sure which facet would be most helpful to anyone here! The thread in its entirety is epic and the posts add meaning and understanding atop each other; isolate one and you don't grasp the entirety. (Perhaps that's indicative too of Ni. It's why Ni-er's might seem voodoo/'poof' -- it's much simpler to state one or two vague summary sentences than 35+ pages that explains all of the nuances of it). :Focus:
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Well, yeah, Ni is about focusing/honing in on something. Sticking to an idea, building upon it, taking other seemingly unrelated (but related) things to build upon that same idea. Not branching out into multiple ideas. It's always honing inwards and focusing on something, and sticking to that - aiming to grasp that 'one thing'/'truth' relevant to the situation at hand. Wanting that closure/resolution/finality/'answer' to that thing.

Anyway, I think this is my all-time favorite Ni thread on the forums... http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...what-hell.html
    Very interesting. So, what do you do once you find 'the answer' - once the problem at hand is resolved. Like, I work with INTJ scientists. They spend their whole lives working towards cures, answers, discoveries to very specific problems. What happens if they find the answer or finally solve the problem. Is it "mission accomplished - time to retire"? Or is it just simply, "move on to another problem"? Cuz, for instance, one of them truly believes that understanding one small bodily protein will unlock huge mysteries of the human body and health. He dedicates his entire existence to understanding this one object because he *knows* how important it is to overall human health. If he does make *the big discovery*, what would he do next? Just bask in his glory as a well-respected scientist? Or would he then "take up a new agenda"?
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ maybe it's just me but i have a lingering belief that there is one underlying truth that explains everything in existence. it's just, as Ne dom, i seek it by trying to find everything. the more i find, the more i know. the more i know, the closer i am to understanding the One. perhaps that is essentially what he seeks also.

and of course, if the One was discovered, the rules of everything would be changed. all would be illuminated.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco
    It's why Ni-er's might seem voodoo/'poof' -- it's much simpler to state one or two vague summary sentences than 35+ pages that explains all of the nuances of it

yeah, that's kind of my problem with the Ni threads. i don't get what anyone's saying half the time. it took me until reading orobas' explanation of Ni - maybe a few months after first reading about Ni? - to finally start grasping it.

*will try to focus for once*

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Very interesting. So, what do you do once you find 'the answer' - once the problem at hand is resolved. Like, I work with INTJ scientists. They spend their whole lives working towards cures, answers, discoveries to very specific problems. What happens if they find the answer or finally solve the problem. Is it "mission accomplished - time to retire"? Or is it just simply, "move on to another problem"? Cuz, for instance, one of them truly believes that understanding one small bodily protein will unlock huge mysteries of the human body and health. He dedicates his entire existence to understanding this one object because he *knows* how important it is to overall human health. If he does make *the big discovery*, what would he do next? Just bask in his glory as a well-respected scientist? Or would he then "take up a new agenda"?
    I don't really know what he'd do. The nature of some problems are such that it could/would take a lifetime to learn, or else it might never be possible to reach full resolution.

He'd probably move onto another project after basking for a bit? lol. Or maybe by that point could bask in his inferior-Se-ness for good since he accomplished his life work. I doubt though he'd bask... I think NJ's need things to move towards & accomplish; not good at kicking back.

Anyway, in that thread it was discussed also that the whole 'Discovery' process is both exhilarating -- keeps you going, and keeps mental juices flowing and alive and excited because things are still a bit of a mystery and unesolved -- but also depending on the problem at hand, anxiety-provoking simply because we DO want that answer/closure. Once closure is reached, yeah, there might be a momentary lull where it's like, 'Now what?', but typically in life there are soon other things brewing and situations to figure out.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't really know what he'd do. The nature of some problems are such that it could/would take a lifetime to learn, or else it might never be possible to reach full resolution.

He'd probably move onto another project after basking for a bit? lol. Or maybe by that point could bask in his inferior-Se-ness for good since he accomplished his life work.

Anyway, in that thread it was discussed also that the whole 'Discovery' process is both exhilarating -- keeps you going, and keeps mental juices flowing and alive and excited because things are still a bit of a mystery and unesolved -- but also depending on the problem at hand, anxiety-provoking simply because we DO want that answer/closure. Once closure is reached, yeah, there might be a momentary lull where it's like, 'Now what?', but typically in life there are soon other things brewing and situations to figure out.
    Ah, i see. This might also explain where I've seen INFJ's say, "I loved getting to know my husband. He was so intriguing and mysterious. And he's great guy and I'm really lucky to have him, but now that I know everything about him, I sometimes get bored and feel unsatisfied." Ahaaa!!!! I'm on to you guys now!!
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Ah, i see. This might also explain where I've seen INFJ's say, "I loved getting to know my husband. He was so intriguing and mysterious. And he's great guy and I'm really lucky to have him, but now that I know everything about him, I sometimes get bored and feel unsatisfied." Ahaaa!!!! I'm on to you guys now!!
    I have always been kind of worried about really longterm relationships for this very reason. I like to think/hope/believe that I would be ok and satisfied and the relationship would just keep evolving/growing, but sometimes I do worry.