User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Thread: Ne and Ni

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    I think the easiest way to tell the difference between Ni and Ne is to pair them up with their opposing Sensate functions.

• Extraverted Sensation (Se) says that the observable world is filled with wonderful stimuli, and all you have to do is let yourself react to it. No need to think, just react. The meaning of something is what your gut tells you you should do in response. If it's not here or not now, it's not real.
    • Introverted Intuition (Ni) says that the observable world is arbitrary and deceitful, and not representative of all the possible interpretations of itself. You have to liberate yourself from these arbitrary interpretations by considering all possible interpretations, or you will risk being led astray.

• Extraverted Intuition (Ne) says that everything in the observable world is connected to a greater context, and it allows you to make contextual connections between this object and another one. Through this act of discovery, we become aware of greater possibilities for meaning, knowledge or action.
    • Introverted Sensation (Si) says that the observable world is so overwhelmingly filled with stimuli and randomness that you need something stable to focus on, or you'll just be permanently overwhelmed and confused.

A nice method of telling the difference is to just consider the difference between Introverted and Extraverted Perception:

• Ne is open-ended and led by observation
    • Ni is closed-off and not led by observation
    I like your explanations, but I disagree with Ni not being led by observation. I think this is a more dominant/aux Ni feature. My Ni is led almost entirely by observation.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I think the easiest way to tell the difference between Ni and Ne, is to pair them up with their opposing Sensate functions. Comparing two pairs of functions is far easier than just comparing two functions, since you have a more reliable frame of reference to act as a comparison.

• Extraverted Sensation (Se) says that the observable world is filled with wonderful stimuli, and all you have to do is let yourself react to them. No need to think, just react. The meaning of something is what your gut tells you you should do in response. If it's not here or not now, it's not real.
    • Introverted Intuition (Ni) says that the observable world is arbitrary and deceitful, and not representative of all the possible interpretations of itself. You have to liberate yourself from these arbitrary interpretations by considering all possible interpretations, or you will risk being led astray.

• Extraverted Intuition (Ne) says that everything in the observable world is connected to a greater context, and it allows you to make contextual connections between this object and another one. Through this act of discovery, we become aware of greater possibilities for meaning, knowledge or action.
    • Introverted Sensation (Si) says that the observable world is so overwhelmingly filled with stimuli and randomness that you need something stable to focus on, or you'll just be permanently overwhelmed and confused.

A nice method of telling the difference is to just consider the difference between Introverted and Extraverted Perception:

• Ne is open-ended and led by observation
    • Ni is closed-off and not led by observation
    Yes, although this is a good way of telling the difference between Ni and Ne it may not be understood easily by those who are beginners with understanding the functions. They would like to know the pure essence of the N functions without jumbling up their minds thinking about the S counterparts. Simple worded explanations I believe would work better on the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Yes, although this is a good way of telling the difference between Ni and Ne. The problem is is that many people won't understand it that way. They would like to know the pure essence of the N functions without jumbling up their minds thinking about the S counterparts.
    But you don't get the full picture, and thus a proper understanding. You just get the same vague explanations you always get. And then you're back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    I like your explanations, but I disagree with Ni not being led by observation. I think this is a more dominant/aux Ni feature. My Ni is led almost entirely by observation.
    Are you sure it's Ni? When I say that Introverted Perception isn't led by observation, I mean that it makes its own conclusions without considering possibilities suggested by the outer world, since following what is observable simply can't be trusted. Being led by observation is a textbook definition of Extraverted Perception.
    Hello

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

But, Poki, your Ni would be your tertiary function. You are more expert on S. Purely speaking, an Ni dom person would use Ni as a closed function, using Ni by turning inward and needing no extraneous forces to filter perceptions; using solely what's in one's head to make sense of the world around them. Instead of using the world around them to make sense of what's in one's head (Ne).........does that even make sense? I'm stuck in a loop.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

I think the easiest way to tell the difference between Ni and Ne is to pair them up with their opposing Sensate functions.

• Extraverted Sensation (Se) says that the observable world is filled with wonderful stimuli, and all you have to do is let yourself react to it. No need to think, just react. The meaning of something is what your gut tells you you should do in response. If it's not here or not now, it's not real.

Ne is open-ended and led by observation
    Ni is closed-off and not led by observation

Yeah, I agree with this.

It's a very clear and simple way of putting it.

I think the last (bolded) part is especially important.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

But you don't get the full picture, and thus a proper understanding. You just get the same vague explanations you always get. And then you're back to square one.
    See my edit. and also the second person you quoted was not me. Please fix it.

True. That is why I tried solidifying what is Ni and Ne in this thread.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    My Ne is nowhere near that linear or literal. Looking at someone spit might end up with a theory on space travel.
    Same here.

But it was a noble attempt.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    Same here.

But it was a noble attempt.
    Hmmm? The spitting example was about Ni.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Perfect sense and I agree 100%, thats why I didnt like that as such a hard pressed Ni vs Ne.
    I do Ne but no where near as wonderfully as the entp/enfps I've seen on here. Ne appears genius to me. of course S is just one hot function! but that's for another thread..........
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Simple worded explanations I believe would work better on the masses.
    They always end up as the same vague explanations we're trying to avoid. There's nothing simple about any of this, I'm afraid. That being said, I don't think what I wrote is that hard to understand anyway.
    Hello