User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

Thread: Ne and Ni

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Barely anyone who enters the thread will read it. Be slightly more tactful and summarise to allow those who do not understand to understand things in a more 'for dummies' way.

Most have Ne down correctly.
    But as for Ni...
    Ni is not: "poof" an idea, which appears out of nowhere.

It is the analysis of the object within different dimensions to be able to see what the object may or may not be.

Let us take an object:

Humans:

- Homosapiens
    - Molecules
    - Moving objects
    - Assembly of organs
    - Tools of war

All such thoughts are what humans could be. Note: Every thought is connected to the object.

Cartoon:

- Lines and colours
    - Light
    - Pleasing sensory perceptions
    - Distorted beings
    - Many pictures
    - Surrealism

All the such thoughts are what cartoons are, in different perceptions. Again, every thought is connected to the object. Not move on tangents as Ne tends to do.
    Is this to say that Ne creates connections that springboard (or grow) in an outward direction from the object in question, while Ni creates connections going inward and directed towards the object?
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Barely anyone who enters the thread will read it. Be slightly more tactful and summarise to allow those who do not understand to understand things in a more 'for dummies' way.

Most have Ne down correctly.
    But as for Ni...
    Ni is not: "poof" an idea, which appears out of nowhere.

It is the analysis of the object within different dimensions to be able to see what the object may or may not be.

Let us take an object:

Humans:

- Homosapiens
    - Molecules
    - Moving objects
    - Assembly of organs
    - Tools of war

All such thoughts are what humans could be. Note: Every thought is connected to the object.

Cartoon:

- Lines and colours
    - Light
    - Pleasing sensory perceptions
    - Distorted beings
    - Many pictures
    - Surrealism

All the such thoughts are what cartoons are, in different perceptions. Again, every thought is connected to the object. Not move on tangents as Ne tends to do.
    Great break-down of Ni, Oaky. I think the reason why I have thought of it as "poof" is simply because I don't see their process at all... being that it is introverted... so it comes out as being "poof! magic solution!"

I really value my INXJ friends for this ability... I find it works great with my Ne to find really good solutions to problems.

Edit/Addition:

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    it seems like Ne and Ni move opposite. i've heard all the functions + attitudes described as "conveyor belts" which can be switched clockwise/counterclockwise before, and i can see this on an "N" belt.

Ne, clearly, moves outward. you start at one point and look out into all the things it could be.

Ni, as oaky has demonstrated, moves inward. it takes all the points and finds the least common denominator.

they both share the philosophy that all things are, in essence, one thing. for Ne, one thing can become many things. for Ni, many things are, when distilled, one thing.

what is also significant is how they rest on their partner functions - Se and Si - as i believe orobas has already touched upon. Ne needs the concrete detail of Si to anchor it in space, so that it can look around it and consider all of the possibilities that exist at that singular moment. it negates time as a factor, essentially. Ni needs the concrete detail of Se to anchor it in time, so that it can look around it at that singular location. it negates space as a factor. Ne is a coronal section while Ni is a sagittal section.

Ne appears more "random" to us in the present moment because of the negation of time. all those possibilities can exist, but they are not necessarily pertinent when we consider practicality and probability, and change over time. whereas Ni can seem "out of nowhere", because of the negation of what i'm calling "space" - physical presence, if you will. while Ni may well be correct in its distillations, they might not be pertinent to the present moment - yet.
    Good job Sky!

That is one of the best descriptions I have read yet. It definitely explains a big piece of the way I tend to think where I do ignore time completely. I also love reading stories that aren't linear for the same reason.

For one shining moment Ne and Ni made perfectly clear sense in my head.

Ni focuses on imagination and creating different contexts. Ne focuses on reality and connecting similar contents. Both draw the contents from Si and Se.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

it seems like Ne and Ni move opposite. i've heard all the functions + attitudes described as "conveyor belts" which can be switched clockwise/counterclockwise before, and i can see this on an "N" belt.

Ne, clearly, moves outward. you start at one point and look out into all the things it could be.

Ni, as oaky has demonstrated, moves "inward". it takes all the points and finds the least common denominator.

they both share the philosophy that all things are, in essence, one thing. for Ne, one thing can become many things. for Ni, many things are, when distilled, one thing.
    really like this way of putting it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Ni, as oaky has demonstrated, moves "inward". it takes all the points and finds the least common denominator.

Woah! That was freaky. I posted my response and then read your response.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Chiharu View Post
    Also, Ne manifests as a series or web of connected ideas (ie: blue... sky... birds... trees... hands... people... cats... dogs... frogs... bogs... logs... mud... earth... Jupiter... gas... Saturn... rings... redwood trees... California... hate... my friends... the ocean... love... passion... fire...)
    Yeah, definitely.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Woah! That was freaky. I posted my response and then read your response.

--

anyway i think what is also significant is how they rest on their partner functions - Se and Si - as i believe orobas has already touched upon. Ne needs the concrete detail of Si to anchor it in space, so that it can look around it and consider all of the possibilities that exist at that singular moment. it negates time as a factor, essentially. Ni needs the concrete detail of Se to anchor it in time, so that it can look around it at that singular location. it negates space as a factor. Ne is a coronal section while Ni is a sagittal section.

Ne appears more "random" to us in the present moment because of the negation of time. all those possibilities can exist, but they are not necessarily pertinent when we consider practicality and probability, and change over time. whereas Ni can seem "out of nowhere", because of the negation of what i'm calling "space"... i don't really know how to describe it, but i essentially mean "headspace" - room for expansion. room for differentiation. while Ni may well be correct in its distillations, they might not be pertinent to the present moment - yet. in other words, it may still be more useful to see the particle as a particle instead of a wave-particle, because it's still behaving like a particle in this particular situation.

okay, i'm not sure what i'm talking about anymore. i think my N is getting ahead of me.

-- ooh right. it's like the N functions use the S "data points" to draw their big pictures from. Ne isolates a singular Si point and draws lines outward to other Si points (fire --> red + heat + smoke + etc), while Ni gathers a series of Se points and draws one line from them connecting to a new point - but Se points aren't things, they're processes (acorn growing on tree then falling off + mom having a baby + pregnant seahorse producing little seahorses --> life produces new life via creating a smaller version of itself).

*clearly you can see that i am Ne here... i have trouble describing Ni using the right words, even though i think i basically understand it in images in my head...

Anew Leaf

--

anyway i think what is also significant is how they rest on their partner functions - Se and Si - as i believe orobas has already touched upon. Ne needs the concrete detail of Si to anchor it in space, so that it can look around it and consider all of the possibilities that exist at that singular moment. it negates time as a factor, essentially. Ni needs the concrete detail of Se to anchor it in time, so that it can look around it at that singular location. it negates space as a factor. Ne is a coronal section while Ni is a sagittal section.

Ne appears more "random" to us in the present moment because of the negation of time. all those possibilities can exist, but they are not necessarily pertinent when we consider practicality and probability, and change over time. whereas Ni can seem "out of nowhere", because of the negation of what i'm calling "space"... i don't really know how to describe it, but i essentially mean "headspace" - room for expansion. room for differentiation. while Ni may well be correct in its distillations, they might not be pertinent to the present moment - yet. in other words, it may still be more useful to see the particle as a particle instead of a wave-particle, because it's still behaving like a particle in this particular situation.

okay, i'm not sure what i'm talking about anymore. i think my N is getting ahead of me.
    You have won the thread, sky!

I understand my Si ability the least actually... So it is very intriguing to see how it fits into my Ne ability as a helper. And it definitely makes sense when I am talking to my Ni-dom friends about things and wondering where the heck they are coming up with stuff.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Ni, as oaky has demonstrated, moves inward. it takes all the points and finds the least common denominator.

Yes, great stuff Skylights. Far better clearing things.
    Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Is this to say that Ne creates connections that springboard (or grow) in an outward direction from the object in question, while Ni creates connections going inward and directed towards the object?
    Oh yes, absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Great break-down of Ni, Oaky. I think the reason why I have thought of it as "poof" is simply because I don't see their process at all... being that it is introverted... so it comes out as being "poof! magic solution!"

I really value my INXJ friends for this ability... I find it works great with my Ne to find really good solutions to problems.
    Ah, well it certainly it can be perceived in such a way. Especially when one wonders where the thoughts moving inwards would appear from. This is where people get confused on the matter.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

it's like the N functions use the S "data points" to draw their big pictures from. Ne isolates a singular Si point and draws lines outward to other Si points (fire --> red + heat + smoke + etc), while Ni gathers a series of Se points and draws one line from them connecting to a new point - but Se points aren't things, they're processes (acorn growing on tree then falling off + mom having a baby + pregnant seahorse producing little seahorses --> life produces new life via creating a smaller version of itself).
    Yeah, that makes sense to me. It's like Ne wants to go from one thing to MANY THINGS. And Ni wants to go from many things to ONE THING (or towards one conclusion).