• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which type looks up to which?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
... Is there a pattern?

I've seen more than one INTP looking up to the ENTPs.
I've seen a few ENTPs (of which I'm one myself, but not the only one) looking up to ESTJs.

Two questions:
1) Is this a real pattern or not?
2) If it's real, are there more of this sort of generalities or not?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmmm. In my case I must say that the people I know that I look up to, I knew them well before I knew their MBTI type, and that their MBTI type had nothing to do with my reverence of them.

That being said, my Dad is an ESTJ, and I think the world of him.
My friend Andrew is an ENTJ, and he is also an inspirational person in my life.
My friend Jack is an ESFP and I have learned tons from him.

So, maybe in my little ESTP world, I am imprinted by those that have some similarity to me, ala ExTx or ESxx?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
INTP looking up to ENTP, I'd definitely agree with. ENTP looking up to NJ is something I've noticed as well (Ne is intrigued by Ni). ENTP looking up to any SJs? Eh, not so much, at least not in my experience. Why do you look up to ESTJs? I can see maybe envying them for their efficiency, but NPs don't tend to value efficiency (at least not the immature ones like myself).

SJs looking up to SPs I think occurs as well. SJs probably envy gut decisions and spontaneity (especially STJs), as it's something that's not really inherent in SJ values. SJs probably also look up to being perceived as "cool" (especially SFJs), as Fe causes them to care how they are perceived by society.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't look up to types. Nor people for that matter, except for some rare cases.
Not sure if this has to do anything with my type though. I don't know many INTJs IRL, and those who I do are usually frustrated losers.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Typologically, I've noticed a pattern of me admiring IxFJs and ESxPs.

I admire IxFJs because they seem more patient, long-suffering, accepting, than me, sensitive to the implications interpersonal relationships instead of just shrugging them off, and people you can really lean on in times of need and they don't disappear on you.

ISFJs because of how stalwart and dedicated they are. I also think they put up with a lot of crap (not that that's good!), but weather through things so long that they often times are the last ones standing. I find that ISFJs often have a insight and homespun wisdom about them that attracts people. I also very much appreciate their willingness to tend to a person's physical care, when your body is in shambles you can't focus on much else and they seem to be the type most able to understand that relationship.

The INFJs I know are pretty cut the crap people, but still very nurturing and soothing. I find them to be especially good relational problem-solvers, like they'll think about something you said to them and come back later and say "I was thinking about what you said and..." and out pops this really workable, wonderful solution! And as usual, I find their insight into situations and other people usually correct even if it takes months for thing to play themselves out.

ESxPs because they just do the damn thing! I also find them very attuned to reality and factually bent which I find aids in decision-making. One of our case managers is an older ESFP who's very deeply into her Te and she's very good and presenting the realities of the situation, making them real in not some distant and abstract way and pushing towards practical action. Her focus on the present is immensely helpful. There's often a disdain for the "details" on MBTI forums, but the details are very pertinent to the trajectory of a situation and when they're set in front of you, their relevancy and impact on the future is made unrelentingly clear, you respect people who can juggle these things and have a good grasp of the intricacies.

ETA: I forgot to add how gotdamn HAWT ESxPs are! Forgive my oversight. :newwink:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I look up to some ISTPs and ESFPs usually. The reason isn't the common SP letters; ISTPs for their ability to combine practical and theorethical understanding of most subjects that interest them. ESFPs for their sociability and open-mindedness.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I look up to INTJs for their natural mathematical abilities. those fuckers have it SO easy even when compared to other NTs..... its ridiculous!

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I look up to INTJs for their natural mathematical abilities. those fuckers have it SO easy even when compared to other NTs..... its ridiculous!

Really? I thought INTPs were also stereotypically good at math as well. Math is all about some deductive reasoning. Maybe NTJs are really good at more applied mathematics like calculus/physics?

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
ESFJs-I admire their warmth, their concern for others, their positive energy, and their ability to get things done with a smile-even when they don't like what they're doing. I also admire how they can pull a group together and get everyone involved in reaching a stated goal.
SPs-I like how they're often so present and aware of what's right in front of them. The ones I know are usually content with things as they are, and the extroverted ones rarely hesitate to seize a good opportunity. I admire the "live and let live" attitude, and how they just take things as they come.

I don't know too many confirmed Ns in person.:cry:

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I think I have looked up to some INFJ, but I am not completely sure whether I really type him right, because he had a complex character I would say. He looks on first sight like an INTJ, but the more I got to know him the more I saw the F side in him.

Well, he was a teacher of me (now retired), so there was always a certain distance. But if I admire a person, then probably him. He is 100% authentic (even though he does not always say the truth), very intelligent and remembers facts like a sponge, says always what he thinks, very strict yet still has a sense for humour and some hidden warmthness (I think outside of his teacher-life he is much warmer). I think if you ask him for help he would be the most trustworthy person ever.

Then there is a xNFP (I would rather say INFP, but relative outgoing one then; but maybe only a little bit shy ENFP) which has many similarities to me (well, I am INFP too ^^), but also some differences which I would wish for myself sometimes too.

But well, there are also many other good persons in the world, but those are the two examples which came into my mind first.

I am not sure there is really ONE type for each type which is looked up, but I would make a vague theory that people will generally look up to people which combine faccetts of themselves plus some additional traits which they would value high but lack a bit of.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I mostly look up to ENTPs and ESTPs. I like how less feeling they are then me and I especially admire the down-to-earthness of ESTPs. Sometimes I wish I was one.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I look up to myself. I'm an amazing role model if I dare suggest such.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
SPs-I like how they're often so present and aware of what's right in front of them. The ones I know are usually content with things as they are, and the extroverted ones rarely hesitate to seize a good opportunity. I admire the "live and let live" attitude, and how they just take things as they come.

Agreed. The "take things at face value" is a nice skill.

I usually look up to rl INTJs, too. They seem overly interesting and full of ideas.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
INTJs = freaking awesome! They take most types in their stride, and don't seem to care that much that they can.

I love that ENTJs seem to always have more time and explain things so calmly and clearly. I get the feeling some people have met members of this type who they dislike. The good ones are priceless and very difficult to do anything but admire.

I want the ISPs music and art skills also. They seem to pick stuff up so easily, and find it so natural.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well I look up to my best mate who is an ISTP.
Mainly for his ability to figure out what needs done and do but then when its done to relax almost on que.

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
ENTJ and especially INTJ, they can get things done and INTJ is quiet. Oh sometimes I want to be the quiet and mysterious one so badly....
But ENTJ are great at forcing people doing what you need them to do, even if they don't want to do it. I'm totally bad at strictly demanding something from other people. I just don't like to make people feel uncomfortable and sometimes they manipulate with that...

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
I look up to people for reasons completely independent of type.

A few of the people I consider my role models or inspirations (and have qualities I most want to emulate) are:
ENFJ
INTJ
possible ExTP (not sure of her type)
ISFJ

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I admire ISFJs for how responsible, nurturing, and caring they often are (this probably has a lot to do with that fact that my mom is ISFJ).

I admire ESFPs for their social ease and for being less inhibited.

I admire ENFJs for their warmth and charm and ability to connect to so many different people, while still maintaining a very unique identity.

I admire INTPs for their wacky ideas and individuality.

I admire ENFPs for being more outspoken and confident - they show the feisty side I have lurking within.

I admire ISFPs who have a natural talent in creating tangible art.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I can't say that I look up to specific types. I do admire certain qualities in others that I lack naturally, though. Sometimes I wish I were more practical, more open with my feelings, more in the moment, more engaged with the world, etc. I could go on. I don't see one type as the embodiment of everything I want to be. I guess I just always wish I was more balanced. Or I want what I don't have.

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't know if this has to do with type (only), but I really admire an

ENFP - because of her high Ne which means that she comes up with the most fascinating, funny, absurd ideas ALL THE TIME. Her extraversion is quite intriguing, but also becomes annoying after a while, even though I really admire her. I need some time for myself afterwards :)

INXJ - a former teacher of mine, I am not sure about the T/F scale....could have been a cynical NF...but he really opened the world of literature to me....

INTP - because this Ti deals with things in a way I would never even dream of (although I notive my tertiary Ti more often after spending a lot of time with him). And because of his ability to come up with strange ideas. And I guess because of his rational approach :). Can become annoying, but is also very helpful to me, especially when I am hysterical :D

ESTJ - Even though there are things that really annoy me about him, I really admire my dad for being sooo disciplined and combining this with doing good in his life as a doctor. In a practical sense he seem really idealistic to me in always wanting to help people, take time for every individual even after working in his job for such a long time.

.....coming to think of it, there may be people of every type that I admire. I guess it has more to do with what you make out of your personality, and not so much with personality itself.....