• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

S-Practical/N-Theoretical Divide is Nonsense

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
N's inventions are very concrete. Nothing theoretical about the graphic interface on the computer I'm using to type this comment.

ARGGGGG....!

I feel like we're speaking two different languages.
Have fun!

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
I'm considered to be creative and super practical, I also get loads done... it's all go go go... I like to think of my ideas as insightful and practical...

And I'm neither theoretical nor practical. :D

Though Si leads Ne for me by a hair, this is mostly due to the fact that I am very introverted, live in the past and have an aversion to change. My actual memories are fuzzy and I have a very limited ability to catalog details without some effort. I am not a sensor, even if I entertain the idea sometimes, because I still orient more to vaguely defined, flexible ideas than to concrete, practical details.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I wonder if practicality might also be a divide between P and J. The extroverted judging being more practical than introverted.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
you're all missing the point. This is the main difference between S and N:

S = truck drivers
N = astronauts

one drives a truck on roads, the other flies a spaceship through...space.

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram

S = truck drivers
N = astronauts

No, no, no.

STPs = truck drivers and cowboys
SFPs = artists and insufferable divas
SFJs = school teachers and homemakers
STJs = accountants and uptight bureaucrats
NTs = astronauts and brilliant neurosurgeons
NFs = emo poets and cult leaders

NO EXCEPTIONS

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

S = truck drivers
N = astronauts

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of astronauts were S's.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
No, no, no.

STPs = truck drivers and cowboys
SFPs = artists and insufferable divas
SFJs = school teachers and homemakers
STJs = accountants and uptight bureaucrats
NTs = astronauts and brilliant neurosurgeons
NFs = emo poets and cult leaders

NO EXCEPTIONS

so you sort of half agree with me that all senswords are truck drivers and all intuiteers are astronauts then.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Never believed this because I'm strong N and don't walk around talking about theories all day. Meanwhile, a good friend of mine is strong S, and uses a lot of big words to express what could be said far more simply. While exhibiting many S traits, the last thing you would call him is "practical".

While I think it's harder to tell S/N apart than the other 3, whether someone is "practical" tells you nothing. No idea is practical if it can't be used. The iPhone, bifocals, and light bulb were all invented by strong N's, and are very practical. Difference is they required looking ahead, and this to me is the biggest distinction between S and N - S lives in the moment, N lives in the future, but you can't say one is more practical than the other.

One of the common traits of ADHD, mostly an N diagnosis, is impending doom. As an N, I can understand this, because I naturally think about how what I'm doing now will impact the future. Many NPs I know are best motivated by work that alters how people will do things in the future, even if it relates to something small - like changing how an industry orders parts from suppliers. Everything can be improved upon. Also noticed many NPs sometimes care a lot less about money if they feel their work will impact the future. Ss on the other hand will be happy making an impact immediately.

I think this time distinction tells you a lot more about S/N then whether someone discusses theories. Some of that is the result of individual experience, not innate type.

You're absolutely correct. Most of MBTI's ideas are training wheels oversimplifications of much more complex Jungian concepts.

So we get all this crap about "Js are hard workers and Ps are lazy!" and "Ss only like real stuff and Ns only like theory!" and it's just ridiculous.

MBTI works as a very, VERY simple overview of generalized behavioral trends, but if you use MBTI without any background in Jung's much more nuanced ideas, you're still just banging a 1/4" nail with a 12-foot hammer. You'll get certain general things somewhere in the ballpark of being right, but you're missing so much nuance!

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
segregationdrinkingfountain.jpg

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
so you sort of half agree with me that all senswords are truck drivers and all intuiteers are astronauts then.

Not really. I was making fun of the tendency to box sensers and intuitives into overgeneralized occupations. But your original post was an analogy anyway, right?

Corrected a few spelling errors for you.

Why are the STJs outcast? Wouldn't they be the cheiftans or something - or at least organizing everyone? In any case, you'd think they'd make every effort to remain part of the tribe.

And couldn't NTs be observing the advantages of something or other? Conceptualizing more efficient weapon/tool design, identifying food sources, guiding strategic migration, developing early agriculture, planning the exploitation of resources over the long term? Not to say that these wouldn't require Se/Si or what have you, but I would think that NTs would play some role. :shock: Oh, I just took that way too seriously.

Sensotards in space ?
Sensotards cutting brains ?

Yeah, I thought about that before I posted. Guess I could have gone with mathematicians instead of neurosurgeons. But I'm guessing that NTs are well represented in both fields.

StrappingYoungLad

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Intuitive drinking fountain doesn't work, unnecessary complex design not tested in the real world and hard to maintain. They drink water from sensors.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Intuitive drinking fountain: Finding a small stream and redirecting it to flow into the building and along a channel allowing people to just scoop some up and drink.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Intuitive drinking fountain doesn't work, unnecessary complex design not tested in the real world and hard to maintain. They drink water from sensors.

Yeah, but all of your sensor children wear our designer clothes and listen to our music.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I must not be an SFP; because I'm not an artist, diva, or mistress!

StrappingYoungLad

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
What I really believe is that the S/N divide can be overcome by training and experience. And successful people overcome the S/N barrier related to their work if their work required it.

StrappingYoungLad

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Intuitive drinking fountain: Finding a small stream and redirecting it to flow into the building and along a channel allowing people to just scoop some up and drink.

Sensors will piss and contaminate your stream. How do you prevent sensor sabotage?

Sorry I couldn't resist posting this. I'm off now.