User Tag List

First 456

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    While I think it's harder to tell S/N apart than the other 3, whether someone is "practical" tells you nothing. No idea is practical if it can't be used. The iPhone, bifocals, and light bulb were all invented by strong N's, and are very practical. Difference is they required looking ahead, and this to me is the biggest distinction between S and N - S lives in the moment, N lives in the future, but you can't say one is more practical than the other.
    Si lives more in the past, Se more in the present and immediate future, Ni more in the medium to long term future, Ne more in la la land.

One of the common traits of ADHD, mostly an N diagnosis, is impending doom. As an N, I can understand this, because I naturally think about how what I'm doing now will impact the future.
    Mostly an N diagnosis? I've looked and see no research suggesting that, and my experiences contradict it.

Actually what you describe (always thinking of the future) is in a sense the opposite of the ADHD symptom of impulsivity (note: this is not the same as spontaneity. Most spontaneous people have a healthy capacity to become aware of negative potentials of their impulses in the microseconds needed before acting them out). The impulsivity (also called disinhibition) of ADHD means not being aware of any future implications of an impulse in time to prevent it being acted out. The part of the brain that extremely rapidly alerts humans to any likely negative consequences of our immediate impulses is smaller and defective in people with ADHD, so it's more frequently too late to stop us.

The anxiety disorders and sense of impending doom commonly found with untreated ADHD are more likely conditioned by experience. When you live a lifetime of everything you touch turning to shit before you even notice you've touched it, being wound up like a spring in preparation for the worst (we do on average have higher levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, in our blood) is an unfortunate way of compensating for the inability to foresee and prevent painful experiences occurring in the first place.

ADHD correlates with NP on most things I've seen. Whether they are accurate, I'm not sure.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    ADHD correlates with NP on most things I've seen. Whether they are accurate, I'm not sure.
    What things are they? Are you talking about a statistical correlation between the two groups, or about characteristics you believe they have in common?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Are you sure it's not just P that correlates? I have little experience with ADHD but had always heard that there is significant overlap with SP, which makes more sense to me. Especially ESxP. NPs might find it hard to pay attention but I'm not sure it appears the same as ADHD. .
    -end of thread-

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oooh... it annoys me so much when people stick with long dead theories as the gospel truth instead of realizing that they should just be an idea to work with, applying it to what you know, changing it some and coming up with something that works better :steam:

Really- you strict Jungians are stuck in the past!

I really find it ironic when those who don't change theories with the times make fun of SJs! If we didn't change theories with the times we'd still be stuck on the flat earth theory with the stars and sun rotating around US!

I think that the functions are a lot more fluid than we're giving them credit for- there's grey areas where there's overlaps and tints to functions based on strengths of other functions, which according to theory shouldn't even be in our typological makeup- I'd say that it's quite possible to be a strong Ne with a definite Se streak or a Si who has the foresight and creativity to use what s/he has and do something else... you're all looking at this in MUCH too much of a concrete manner... it's not either/or- we're not talking Schroedinger's cat here!

While I'm not going to claim in the least that I'm practical (I'm notoriously impractical in the minds of my real life friends ) but I am certainly capable of living in the moment and enjoying sensations as they come to me... and of taking theories and making them work, instead of just sticking to what IS

The idea that there is a distinct S/N divide just doesn't sit right with me- there would be a difference between extremes, but very few people ever fall there- I'd think that the divide would be more like the bell curve on IQ... most people having qualities that fall into both camps- even if it's uncool to admit it when the sites have a definite bias towards iNtuition (though I've got to say, it's A LOT better now than when I first joined!)

sorry for the minor rant here- I just concluded that too many people here are stuck in the past
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Are you sure it's not just P that correlates? I have little experience with ADHD but had always heard that there is significant overlap with SP, which makes more sense to me. Especially ESxP. NPs might find it hard to pay attention but I'm not sure it appears the same as ADHD. .
    ADHD will correlate with stereotypically unhealthy P behaviour (lack of organisation and planning) but not preference, and therefore not true P. Personality is a collection of preferences, not abilities. Conflating ADHD with a P preference is like conflating crippling asthma with a personal dislike of exercise. Only one of the two can run far if they want or have to, and only one of the two can effectively structure their activities if they want or have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I have no idea, that's why I was being sort of vague. I'd just seen stuff around that said that ADHD correlated with NP. Maybe because a lot of studies involved internet forums and typology which NPs seem to turn up more to. Or maybe it was NPs get misdiagnosed a lot as ADHD because they are sort of random and non-traditional by nature.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

I suspect that at least one correlation between ADHD and NPs is that many NPs would probably be mis-diagnosed as having ADHD.

Someone who thinks on multiple tracks simultaneously and works naturally in fits and starts rather than slow and steady could easily be seen by others as having some kind of "disorder".

Most people, even professional psychologists, are likely to make this mistake if they don't subscribe to personality type theory, temperament theory, multiple intelligence theory, etc...which many, apparently, do not.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!