User Tag List

First 3456 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by StrappingYoungLad View Post
    What I really believe is that the S/N divide can be overcome by training and experience. And successful people overcome the S/N barrier related to their work if their work required it.
    This, only for every trait. Though preferences will probably still remain.

I doubt I'll ever get near that ideal though - not motivated enough.

Many jobs require a good knowledge of "N areas" and "S areas" at the same time, because for many things both are important for a good overall result.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Two of the most theoretical types I know were tested as "off the charts" ESTJ. They have spent a lot of time working together. When I say theoretical, it is a tendency to over-engineer solutions to problems to an extent that they are too costly to implement and the value derived from the solutions is insufficient. You end up with a lot lot of interesting solutions to problems which are wonderfully thought through but that nobody ever really implements, though they may take pieces and parts of it. All great thinking but too complex. It has always been perplexing to me.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

some girls like football some boys like knitting

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    N's inventions are very concrete. Nothing theoretical about the graphic interface on the computer I'm using to type this comment.
    Because a string of ones and zeroes representing various wavelengths and intensities of light arranged in a broad matrix transmitted by electrical pulses arranged by gates consisting of metallic channels partially blocked by semiconductor doping is something that is clear on the surface, and didn't require any theory in designing. Please.

You know what's the difference? Sensors take in sensory data holistically (one big picture) and interpret it that way. Intuitives take in sensory data in a compartmental fashion (focusing on various component parts) and interpret it that way. What's done with that data depends on whether that function is introverted or extraverted. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    You know what's the difference? Sensors take in sensory data holistically (one big picture) and interpret it that way. Intuitives take in sensory data in a compartmental fashion (focusing on various component parts) and interpret it that way. What's done with that data depends on whether that function is introverted or extraverted. That's it.
    bleehhhhhhhhh

compartmentalization is more of a T thing, holistic thinking has little to do with it

the difference really is: intuition sees the forest, sensation sees the trees. the overall context vs the little details
    Hello

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    bleehhhhhhhhh

compartmentalization is more of a T thing, holistic thinking has little to do with it

the difference really is: intuition sees the forest, sensation sees the trees. the overall context vs the little details
    NFs take the compartmentalized information and filter it through their Feeling judgment function; that's why it's rarely seen in outside reality.

It's more like intuition sees a forest, and then a single tree in the forest, and when asked to recollect that forest, the individual tree will be the starting point of that cognitive process. Sensing sees the forest, takes all the details of the forest into account, and when asked to recollect that forest, will start with the entire picture.

N is lossy data input, S is lossless data input. Both are subject to data rot.

One difference I've noticed is ordered vs relative thinking. Though I'm not sure if that holds across all N/S types. For example Se types I know will best remember things that have a definite reference in space or detail. Whereas N will prefer to remember things by patterns and where they sit relative to other things.

In the memory game for example, with all cards in lines an Se might say the card is the third from the left in the second row. An Ne would look at it and struggle to see any defining pattern in the region just long lines of cards, so resort to other less natural methods. If the cards are scattered, the Se will try to find ordered references again, but find it harder. The N this time will see local differences between various regions and feel far more comfortable.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I must not be an SFP; because I'm not an artist, diva, or mistress!
    Well, yeah. I've been telling you that for awhile.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Never believed this because I'm strong N and don't walk around talking about theories all day. Meanwhile, a good friend of mine is strong S, and uses a lot of big words to express what could be said far more simply. While exhibiting many S traits, the last thing you would call him is "practical".

While I think it's harder to tell S/N apart than the other 3, whether someone is "practical" tells you nothing. No idea is practical if it can't be used. The iPhone, bifocals, and light bulb were all invented by strong N's, and are very practical. Difference is they required looking ahead, and this to me is the biggest distinction between S and N - S lives in the moment, N lives in the future, but you can't say one is more practical than the other.

One of the common traits of ADHD, mostly an N diagnosis, is impending doom. As an N, I can understand this, because I naturally think about how what I'm doing now will impact the future. Many NPs I know are best motivated by work that alters how people will do things in the future, even if it relates to something small - like changing how an industry orders parts from suppliers. Everything can be improved upon. Also noticed many NPs sometimes care a lot less about money if they feel their work will impact the future. Ss on the other hand will be happy making an impact immediately.

I think this time distinction tells you a lot more about S/N then whether someone discusses theories. Some of that is the result of individual experience, not innate type.
    PRACTICAL

hard headed
    matter of fact
    not speculative

adjusted
    not visionary
    skilled
    able
    au fait
    useful
    virtual
    effective