User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    (Are you telling us ISTJ nuclear engineers don't have ideas and theories about things?)
    they understand and discuss theories just as I've been saying, Ss are as theoretical as Ns

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    they understand and discuss theories just as I've been saying, Ss are as theoretical as Ns
    But you just said "having the idea in the first place is an N preference." Which is not true. And your "just as theoretical" comment is a little fuzzy.

S's have the capability to discuss and understand theory, yes. Just as N's can discuss facts and details and use them to buttress theories.

But S's tend to do it a bit differently or have a different preference for it than people who are primarily. They tend to translate there into very concrete effects in order to discuss it and get absorbed more in the practical applications.

It's sort of the difference between thinking in arithmetic vs algebra. S's are more comfortable making it concrete, to manipulate it; N's aren't bothered by pushing the concepts around without having to break them down further... and they all still make sense.

Another general example: Let's say you're at a Christian church and hear "Love others as you love yourself." S's are more apt to not know exactly what that means unless they break it down into specific observable behaviors; N's tend to be better at just hearing it, knowing what attitude that means (attitude = ambiance = guiding principle) and letting it ride in a specific situation without having to make a rule out of it first.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I can't imagine a dominant-Si would be anywhere near as theoretical as a dominant-Ni in their thinking, but I understand what you're saying: of course people with an S in their type can be theoretical, and of course people with an N in their type can be practical. But there's still a preference.

It also helps to point out that every type has access to both a sense and intuition function; what matters is which ones they are, and what order they're in. Both ISTPs and INTJs use Ni, but the contexts in which they're used will differ because one type has it as a Dominant function and the other has it as a Tertiary function.
    Hello

MBTI
    ENTP

They tend to translate there into very concrete effects.
    N's inventions are very concrete. Nothing theoretical about the graphic interface on the computer I'm using to type this comment.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    It also helps to point out that every type has access to both a sense and intuition function; what matters is which ones they are, and what order they're in.
    Right, but it won't impact whether they prefer theories or practice, but it will impact they're more likely to act based on future outcomes or present outcomes.

Another general example: Let's say you're at a Christian church and hear "Love others as you love yourself." S's are more apt to not know exactly what that means unless they break it down into specific observable behaviors; N's tend to be better at just hearing it, knowing what attitude that means (attitude = ambiance = guiding principle) and letting it ride in a specific situation without having to make a rule out of it first.
    Exactly. I tend to think about burning witches when they say this. Suppose that's past vs future.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

N's inventions are very concrete. Nothing theoretical about the graphic interface on the computer I'm using to type this comment.

Right, but it won't impact whether they prefer theories or practice, but it will impact they're more likely to act based on future outcomes or present outcomes.
    It's less to do with future and present outcomes, and more to do with whether you relish context or "the little details". Intuitives naturally like playing with contextual implications, whereas Sensors find small sensations and fine details to be liberating.

Although I do think it does impact whether they prefer theory or practise, but that's really all we're talking about: preference, not ability.
    Hello

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    It's less to do with future and present outcomes, and more to do with whether you relish context or "the little details". Intuitives naturally like playing with contextual implications, whereas Sensors find small sensations and fine details to be liberating.
    This is very accurate IME.
    I think that we tend to build theories based on a lot of little facts and details that we notice as well. We tend to draw conclusions based on a lot more information rather than just theorizing for the sake of theorizing based on things that we don't actually see or have evidence of.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm considered to be creative and super practical, I also get loads done... it's all go go go... I like to think of my ideas as insightful and practical...