User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Plays & MBTI

MBTI
    INFP

Default Plays & MBTI

On intpcentral, many intps acknowledge Hamlet as Shakespeare's greatest play.

Though I consider Hamlet as one of my favourites, I adore The Winter's Tale the most.

So
    If INTP is to Hamlet (A Tragic fall of a great philosophical mind iconoclastic to those around him and sets things right without giving a damn.)
    Then INFP is to The Winter's Tale (An Idyllic pastoral play examining human cognition, relationships and connections in the world)

What other plays have you encountered which give off a overall or character specific mbti vibe? Feel free to continue or modify the sequence or use any other play.
    Last edited by Noel; 11-19-2007 at 05:48 PM. Reason: oh my, grammar

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I also tend to think Hamlet is Shakespeare's greatest play (also probably the greatest play ever written in general.) I'm not sure if that is an ENTP thing though. It's probably more just a matter of taste.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I agree with the Hamlet assessment -- Hamlet's style and the philosophy inherent to the play align well with INTP.

Some other options, to prime the pump:
    A Midsummer Night's Dream
    Macbeth
    Othello
    King Lear
    The Merchant of Venice
    Measure by Measure
    Henry [whatever]
    Romeo & Juliet
    As You Like It
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Romeo and Juliet is definitely a more F'ish play, probably more P'ish play, as it dealswith character who make fast decisions, without a lot of thinking through, who follow emotions moreso than thoughts.

Henry IV part 1: I'm not completely sure of this, I could see it as a more INTJish sort of play because it deals with a character deciding on his own to get his act together and do something big, but there are enough characters of different personalities who could attract a number of different types of people.

MBTI
    INFJ

My favorite play is Cymbeline. It is TOTALLY an NF idealist play, maybe an INFJ play!

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Okay, so this is hardly Shakespeare, but there was a production of the musical RENT on in our town these last couple of weeks and I went to see it twice.

The first time I went with my INTP friend - we're both big fans, and have been since the movie came out and we discovered it.

The second time I went with my ISFP mother. She enjoyed the singing and such, but fundamentally disagreed with the whole 'message' of the play: the not paying of any rent, re-wiring ATMs, not working and living as 'starving artists', etc.

Which I found quite interesting. I mean, I could personally never live that life, but neither do I have any problem with it. She did. Even the fictional depiction of such a life bothered her.

My INFJ (I think) brother also likes the movie very much (although he didn't go see the play). My ESTJ dad won't even watch the movie - he doesn't like musicals, is distinctly uncomfortable with any depiction of homosexuality, and is a landlord himself. So there's not really much debate about whether he'd like it or not! ^^

So, it seems pretty obvious that perhaps RENT is a musical that would suit Intuitives more than Sensors?
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Perhaps SJs would be more drawn to Shakespeare's history plays?
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I agree with the Hamlet assessment -- Hamlet's style and the philosophy inherent to the play align well with INTP.

Some other options, to prime the pump:
    A Midsummer Night's Dream
    Macbeth
    Othello
    King Lear
    The Merchant of Venice
    Measure by Measure
    Henry [whatever]
    Romeo & Juliet
    As You Like It
    Thats the only shakespear i've read and it was great, especially the joke about the ass.

What type is shakespear?
    i've heard he is an NT despite most witers being NFs.
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
    Thats the only shakespear i've read and it was great, especially the joke about the ass.

What type is shakespear?
    i've heard he is an NT despite most witers being NFs.
    Certainly xNFP, although everyone seems to think that Shakespeare is their type or close to it.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

What about Twelfth Night? F of some sort?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness