User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Introverts, were you more outgoing as a child?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I was very introverted as a child. I was described as calm, shy and easy to deal with by my mother. I would hate meeting new people and would be very upset if I was left with any sort of stranger to me.

Supreme High Commander Array Andy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Intresting thread idea.

Back a very long time ago there was a clear distinction between social introversion and introversion in mbti terms on typelogycentral that was debated and often referred to in posts. The main idea was: is a person, who was born at the north pole and lived alone there for 30 years ever able to be an assertive E type in mbti terms ?

I liked that question and it did add some new dimensions to the perception of the term introversion.
    That is an interesting question, and I'd be inclined to say the answer is yes, as being an extrovert doesn't actually require people in all cases. An isolated extroverts nature appears as a great deal of activity with less contemplative moments. Such a person probably couldn't be an Fe, but I could still see them as an Se (most of all), Ne or Te.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I've always been an introvert. My mom said I was always always always off by myself reading books when I was little, even before I could read properly. I was always in my own little world.

However, I guess I was still "outgoing" for a short time. Up until the 3rd grade, I was loud and obnoxious. I'm not really sure what changed that...I think I was too young to remember. I just know that I got in trouble for talking too much in the 2nd grade and immediately went to being (mildly) picked on in the 3rd grade for being so quiet.

/X\(:: :: )/X\ Array BlueSprout's Avatar
    MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

I was always shy and self-conscious even when I was very young. I still liked people, but I wasn't sure they would like me. I also just liked wandering off into my own little world. I probably fantasized more than I ever interacted.
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

ˇcataplum!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I think I was far more outgoing as a child, but there was still enough indications for being more introverted I think. Later it became less and less.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by sofmarhof View Post
    I was shy around adult strangers, but less shy around my peers than I am now. I was definitely an introvert already, but I was much more talkative.
    I was the opposite.

When I was four, I remember crawling behind the dryer in the backroom and hiding because visitors showed up. As I got older, it wasn't atypical for me to avoid social situations due to the crushing social anxiety, or try to attend the event and then change my mind right before I got there.

Still an introvert, but I can handle myself in a room just fine and even look very sociable sometimes depending on who is there... regardless of how I might be feeling inside.

The issue: Generally I like people, but they do drain me... and until I know the parameters (limitations, expectations, various forms of appropriate interaction), I always feel like I'm stepping on toes. It wasn't instinctive for me. Getting more life experience gave me the social training I needed to feel more comfortable over time.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    intp

I was much shyer as a child. The thought of having the courage to go and talk to other kids was very distant for me. Now I can go and talk to people my age.

Nope. I enjoyed my own company and don't recall having any true childhood friends. I think now I am more outgoing since I have been around people so much in the last few years and actually like people very much, I just need to cut myself off from them after too much interaction. I am also much better in smaller groups than in a big crowd, I feel extremely self-conscious talking and being the centre of attention in a big crowd.

From the Undertow Array CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

When I was a child, I was a bit in the middle in terms of introversion and extroversion. Some situations I was more outgoing in, but there would be moments where I'd be shy around some people. Now I've gotten a bit more introverted.

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

No, I have never been outgoing. As a young child (say, age 4-8), I was probably more outspoken, but I never preferred to be the center of focused attention
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good