• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Let's try and clear up some misconceptions

VagrantFarce

Let's see if this kicks up some discussion :)

Liking mathematics (or being a raging nerd) are not prerequisites for being an INTP
INTPs have dominant Introverted Thinking, which means that they approach life as a puzzle to be solved. They are drawn to exploring and expressing logic in all sorts of venues, not just mathematics. Other systems of thought could include philosophy, economics, films, video games, food, linguistics, even typology itself! INTPs just prefer it when things make sense to them, which creates a natural curiosity for systematic thinking and exploring logic.

Being "quiet and sensitive" does not automatically make you an IxFP
Dominant Introverted Feeling causes IxFPs to view the world in terms of the emotional needs expressed by every individual. Through this, they're able to assess the emotional (or "spiritual") congruence of whatever a person is doing (be it themselves or someone else), as well as consider how the actions of others might impede on that person's emotional needs. This results in a naturally empathic worldview, having compassion even for those that society would otherwise mock or discard.* Just because you find it hard to talk to strangers or express yourself emotionally does not make you an IxFP!

INxJs are not psychic
The extremely unbalanced ones might think they are, but they aren't. Dominant Introverted Intuition causes INJs to create new meaning by seeking strange or unique perspectives. Sometimes (but not always) this leads to predictions about the future, with an absolute certainty that's hard to explain. Sometimes it pans out as expected, often it doesn't. Healthy INJs are able to balance themselves with Extraverted Judgement, which provides a rational outlet for dealing with life and mesauring the validity of whatever strange thoughts they're thinking.

Just because you think you can't handle change doesn't make you a J
Unhealthy IPs can have a horrible time adapting to changing circumstances if they're too locked up inside themselves, unable to deal with the world using Extraverted Perception. Introverted Sensation causes them to adopt a dismissive attitude, which can sometimes resemble Extraverted Judgement. But without Extraverted Perception to guide them through the world, they don't have any way of dealing with situations that might otherwise seem chaotic or unusual. IPs need to learn how to adapt and negotiate with things outside of their control if they're going to live a happy life.

Post your own contributions! :)

* oh gosh I hope that description was accurate so I don't have to suffer anyone's wrath :cry:

P

Phantonym

INxJs are not psychic
The extremely unbalanced ones might think they are, but they aren't. Dominant Introverted Intuition causes INJs to create new meaning by seeking strange or unique perspectives. Sometimes (but not always) this leads to predictions about the future, with an absolute certainty that's hard to explain. Sometimes it pans out as expected, often it doesn't. Healthy INJs are able to balance themselves with Extraverted Judgement, which provides a rational outlet for dealing with life and mesauring the validity of whatever strange thoughts they're thinking.

Oh, thank heavens, somebody finally said it. Thanks! *pats VagrantFarce on the back* :cheers:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
*Not everyone is N and most people aren't INFJ even if they are quiet and a bit unusual.

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
* oh gosh I hope that description was accurate so I don't have to suffer anyone's wrath :cry:

:hug:

Seems good to me.

How about INTJs aren't cold, mechanical bastards who live to remind everyone else of their inferiority?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But I thought I was psychic. You burst my bubble.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
how about being intelligent or having a good idea does not make someone an N

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good post.

I'd add that being smart doesn't equal Thinker.

Having an imagination, enjoying unusual things, and being creative doesn't always make you an iNtuitive.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Let's see if this kicks up some discussion :)

Liking mathematics (or being a raging nerd) are not prerequisites for being an INTP
INTPs have dominant Introverted Thinking, which means that they approach life as a puzzle to be solved. They are drawn to exploring and expressing logic in all sorts of venues, not just mathematics. Other systems of thought could include philosophy, economics, films, video games, food, linguistics, even typology itself! INTPs just prefer it when things make sense to them, which creates a natural curiosity for systematic thinking and exploring logic.
And they aren't sufficient either. Two counter-examples (for mathematics freaks/raging nerds they are enough to disprove a these): an ENTP and an ESTJ who are both mathematics freaks and raging nerds. So you even don't need this amount of Ti :D

Just because you think you can't handle change doesn't make you a J
Unhealthy IPs can have a horrible time adapting to changing circumstances if they're too locked up inside themselves, unable to deal with the world using Extraverted Perception. Introverted Sensation causes them to adopt a dismissive attitude, which can sometimes resemble Extraverted Judgement. But without Extraverted Perception to guide them through the world, they don't have any way of dealing with situations that might otherwise seem chaotic or unusual. IPs need to learn how to adapt and negotiate with things outside of their control if they're going to live a happy life.
True, there is more to J than just the negative 'can't handle change'.
Same holds for P:

Perceiving is not (only) about being too late to appointments and missing deadlines and talking your way out of it.

Good post.
I'd add that being smart doesn't equal Thinker.
And being a Thinker doesn't make you smart.

Intuition doesn't make you see the "real world which is full of connections".
There do exist general laws and connections in the real world. True.
But Intuition makes true as well as false connections. It's not a deeper view of the real world or anything.
The Old Greeks thought for a long time that, when you throw a stone up and forward, it will go at a straight line up and forward first and then down in a straight line. S-style observation would have corrected that idea in no time...

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Perceiver=/=irresponsible
Extrovert=/=socially assertive
F=/=cuddly, gushy, touchy feely, irrational

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh yes, another one...

Feeling awkward at New Year receptions at your work or other social situations doesn't necessarily make you an introvert. It counts towards I, but it isn't the only factor.
There's also "needing input to be productive" and "talkative" and...

I've thought I was an introvert for long because of that... and, lacking the interaction I actually needed, I became frustrated and unproductive :(.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How about this. Being an Fe-user does not mean you have no personal convictions and just go along with what everyone else feels; it means that you're driven to connect with people, respond to their needs, and mobilize them toward common goals. Fe users can be, and often are critics of their surroundings; see Martin Luther King Jr, for instance.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How about this. Being an Fe-user does not mean you have no personal convictions and just go along with what everyone else feels; it means that you're driven to connect with people, respond to their needs, and mobilize them toward common goals. Fe users can be, and often are critics of their surroundings; see Martin Luther King Jr, for instance.

True. Fe is just ethics according to some sort of external context; that doesn't necessarily have to be what the people in your immediate surroundings think.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
*Not everyone is N and most people aren't INFJ even if they are quiet and a bit unusual.

Learnt that one the long way, didntcha :alttongue:

Abuwabu

MBTI Type
ISTP
Just because you wear pants with crotch half-way down to your knees, and a baseball cap that's too small perched on the top of your head, doesn't mean you're ISTP

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
However strong your P preference, it won't make you unable organise adequately or remember things you said or did or thought just seconds ago or keep your mind on task for long enough when you've decided to, or make you constantly lose things you care about or feel completely overwhelmed by the prospect of handling every day demands. It won't make you fail in school even though you have both the intelligence and the will to excel. It won't make you unable to finish a single written exam in your whole life even though you know the material better than anyone, because you can't organise your thoughts sequentially if they're not written out in front of you yet so you can hold them in mind long enough, or keep your mind from wandering and wandering even more the more stressed you get about how much it's wandering. If what you're describing as your P preference is a pattern of behaviour you'd actually prefer not to have but don't know how to change and is causing you significant problems functioning and fulfilling your potential, it's not a personality preference, by definition; you have a neuro-cognitive disability and need to get help before your life falls apart. I learned that one the long, hard way.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
However strong your P preference, it won't make you unable organise adequately or remember things you said or did or thought just seconds ago or keep your mind on task for long enough when you've decided to, or make you constantly lose things you care about or feel completely overwhelmed by the prospect of handling every day demands. It won't make you fail in school even though you have both the intelligence and the will to excel. It won't make you unable to finish a single exam in your whole life even though you know the material better than anyone else, because you can't organise your thoughts sequentially before they're already laid out in front of you, or keep your mind from wandering and wandering even more the more stressed you are about how much it's wandering. If what you're describing as your P preference is a pattern of behaviour you'd actually prefer not to have but seem powerless to change and is causing you significant problems functioning and fulfilling your potential, it's not a personality preference, by definition; you have a neuro-cognitive disability and need to get help before your life falls apart. I learned that one the long, hard way.
I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Just because that's my first reaction doesn't make me a F. It does, however, reassure me that my Fe is still in working condition :)

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I found that, as an INFJ, that I can be very unproductive if I don't communicate with people I feel open with every day. Nothing pulls my mind out of its shell and if the only people I can be with are people I can't feel 'free' around, then I REALLY stop being productive and become depressed.

Unproductivity is just being imbalanced or not being inspired to work. Being a P is not a good excuse to be lazy, and being a J doesn't mean you should be super productive.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Being ENFP doesn't force you to like girly crap like Taylor Swift songs and romantic blockbusters.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Oh yes, another one...

Feeling awkward at New Year receptions at your work or other social situations doesn't necessarily make you an introvert. It counts towards I, but it isn't the only factor.
There's also "needing input to be productive" and "talkative" and...

I've thought I was an introvert for long because of that... and, lacking the interaction I actually needed, I became frustrated and unproductive :(.

I would be an introvert if it did.