User Tag List

123 Last

Default Let's try and clear up some misconceptions

Let's see if this kicks up some discussion

Liking mathematics (or being a raging nerd) are not prerequisites for being an INTP
    INTPs have dominant Introverted Thinking, which means that they approach life as a puzzle to be solved. They are drawn to exploring and expressing logic in all sorts of venues, not just mathematics. Other systems of thought could include philosophy, economics, films, video games, food, linguistics, even typology itself! INTPs just prefer it when things make sense to them, which creates a natural curiosity for systematic thinking and exploring logic.

Being "quiet and sensitive" does not automatically make you an IxFP
    Dominant Introverted Feeling causes IxFPs to view the world in terms of the emotional needs expressed by every individual. Through this, they're able to assess the emotional (or "spiritual") congruence of whatever a person is doing (be it themselves or someone else), as well as consider how the actions of others might impede on that person's emotional needs. This results in a naturally empathic worldview, having compassion even for those that society would otherwise mock or discard.* Just because you find it hard to talk to strangers or express yourself emotionally does not make you an IxFP!

INxJs are not psychic
    The extremely unbalanced ones might think they are, but they aren't. Dominant Introverted Intuition causes INJs to create new meaning by seeking strange or unique perspectives. Sometimes (but not always) this leads to predictions about the future, with an absolute certainty that's hard to explain. Sometimes it pans out as expected, often it doesn't. Healthy INJs are able to balance themselves with Extraverted Judgement, which provides a rational outlet for dealing with life and mesauring the validity of whatever strange thoughts they're thinking.

Just because you think you can't handle change doesn't make you a J
    Unhealthy IPs can have a horrible time adapting to changing circumstances if they're too locked up inside themselves, unable to deal with the world using Extraverted Perception. Introverted Sensation causes them to adopt a dismissive attitude, which can sometimes resemble Extraverted Judgement. But without Extraverted Perception to guide them through the world, they don't have any way of dealing with situations that might otherwise seem chaotic or unusual. IPs need to learn how to adapt and negotiate with things outside of their control if they're going to live a happy life.

Post your own contributions!

* oh gosh I hope that description was accurate so I don't have to suffer anyone's wrath
    Hello

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    INxJs are not psychic
    The extremely unbalanced ones might think they are, but they aren't. Dominant Introverted Intuition causes INJs to create new meaning by seeking strange or unique perspectives. Sometimes (but not always) this leads to predictions about the future, with an absolute certainty that's hard to explain. Sometimes it pans out as expected, often it doesn't. Healthy INJs are able to balance themselves with Extraverted Judgement, which provides a rational outlet for dealing with life and mesauring the validity of whatever strange thoughts they're thinking.
    Oh, thank heavens, somebody finally said it. Thanks! *pats VagrantFarce on the back*

MBTI
    INTP

Liking mathematics (or being a raging nerd) are not prerequisites for being an INTP
    Psh. I'm a humanities person, but I still thought calculus was fun.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

*Not everyone is N and most people aren't INFJ even if they are quiet and a bit unusual.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

* oh gosh I hope that description was accurate so I don't have to suffer anyone's wrath

Seems good to me.

How about INTJs aren't cold, mechanical bastards who live to remind everyone else of their inferiority?
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

”cataplum!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

But I thought I was psychic. You burst my bubble.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

how about being intelligent or having a good idea does not make someone an N

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Good post.

I'd add that being smart doesn't equal Thinker.

Having an imagination, enjoying unusual things, and being creative doesn't always make you an iNtuitive.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTP

Let's see if this kicks up some discussion

INTPs have dominant Introverted Thinking, which means that they approach life as a puzzle to be solved. They are drawn to exploring and expressing logic in all sorts of venues, not just mathematics. Other systems of thought could include philosophy, economics, films, video games, food, linguistics, even typology itself! INTPs just prefer it when things make sense to them, which creates a natural curiosity for systematic thinking and exploring logic.
    And they aren't sufficient either. Two counter-examples (for mathematics freaks/raging nerds they are enough to disprove a these): an ENTP and an ESTJ who are both mathematics freaks and raging nerds. So you even don't need this amount of Ti

[quote]

Just because you think you can't handle change doesn't make you a J
    Unhealthy IPs can have a horrible time adapting to changing circumstances if they're too locked up inside themselves, unable to deal with the world using Extraverted Perception. Introverted Sensation causes them to adopt a dismissive attitude, which can sometimes resemble Extraverted Judgement. But without Extraverted Perception to guide them through the world, they don't have any way of dealing with situations that might otherwise seem chaotic or unusual. IPs need to learn how to adapt and negotiate with things outside of their control if they're going to live a happy life.
    True, there is more to J than just the negative 'can't handle change'.
    Same holds for P:

Perceiving is not (only) about being too late to appointments and missing deadlines and talking your way out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Good post.
    I'd add that being smart doesn't equal Thinker.
    And being a Thinker doesn't make you smart.

Intuition doesn't make you see the "real world which is full of connections".
    There do exist general laws and connections in the real world. True.
    But Intuition makes true as well as false connections. It's not a deeper view of the real world or anything.
    The Old Greeks thought for a long time that, when you throw a stone up and forward, it will go at a straight line up and forward first and then down in a straight line. S-style observation would have corrected that idea in no time...
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Perceiver=/=irresponsible
    Extrovert=/=socially assertive
    F=/=cuddly, gushy, touchy feely, irrational
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.