User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    xxxx

I have problems seeing "I want freedom from choice" as a universal J preference.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    I have problems seeing "I want freedom from choice" as a universal J preference.
    You're ISFJ now?
    Hello

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm concerned by the restriction of Ni to the future. I see this often, but I just don't get it - it's application is more broad than that. To me, it seems atemporal.

I really like, however, the connection of objectivity to extroverted and subjectivity to introverted functions. Ps perceive things objectively but discard objectivity when making decisions, while Js try to decide objectively but base their decisions on subjective understandings.

It rings true, in a slightly different sense of 'objective' and 'subjective' to those normally associated with F and T.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Point Two View Post
    I'm concerned by the restriction of Ni to the future. I see this often, but I just don't get it - it's application is more broad than that. To me, it seems atemporal.
    Could you elaborate on this?

My understanding of Ni is that while it can be used in a past context--for example, attempting to figure out who shot JFK--if we are dealing with the normal physical laws which bind us here on earth, the starting point of an Ni "train of thought" is necessarily before the end point, or points further down the road. Of course, this doesn't make the function itself future oriented per se, but 99% of the time the content revealed by use of Ni would be future-related...

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, it concisely promotes the USA's business cult of MBTI.

Just as this USA site promotes the business cult of MBTI.

Just as the business of America is business.

Even business cults in the USA are big business.

And the marriage of business and religious cults is as American as apple pie.

So why should we be surprised that this USA site promotes guns and drugs to school children.
    Victor, what is your MBTI type?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    Could you elaborate on this?

My understanding of Ni is that while it can be used in a past context--for example, attempting to figure out who shot JFK--if we are dealing with the normal physical laws which bind us here on earth, the starting point of an Ni "train of thought" is necessarily before the end point, or points further down the road. Of course, this doesn't make the function itself future oriented per se, but 99% of the time the content revealed by use of Ni would be future-related...
    If I think about a theory, Ni gives insights in the context of that theory. If the theory is atemporal, the insight is also atemporal.

I'm a little confused by your point here...the starting point of a Ni 'train of thought' occurs in time before the end point of that train of thought, but that's also true of a Si comparison, of a Se experience of an ongoing event, of a Ne series of connections. And the content of the Ni thought need not be, and, in my experience, often is not, related specifically to the future. Why would 99% of the content revealed by Ni use be future related? This is exactly what I don't get.

I do think about the future, but I think atemporally more.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

This is good stuff. Very concise.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Point Two View Post
    I do think about the future, but I think atemporally more.
    Maybe it's better to think of it as: you think atemporally, but the context that's generated is for future use. or that you may think of the past, present and future, but the intention is to conceive a predictable future outcome.

or something.
    Hello

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    Maybe it's better to think of it as: you think atemporally, but the context that's generated is for future use. or that you may think of the past, present and future, but the intention is to conceive a predictable future outcome.

or something.
    Future use, though, is again true of any perceiving function (except perhaps Se), and the intention being to conceive a predictable future outcome just doesn't seem to be the primary motivation much of the time.

If Ni is alternate perspectives simultaneously held as equally true (and false) interpretations of something that is fundamentally not interpretation, not interpretable in its actual nature, and/or if Ni is a process of unconscious reasoning that generates answers you didn't derive consciously, why need it be future oriented, aimed at predicting future outcomes (rather than mere solutions/insights), etc.?

Still confused.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Wow; those are very good! (I had glossed through them in a rush before, but now took a better look at them).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas