• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mixing the inferior with the dominant function

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm wondering what would be the results if the inferior function is mixed with the dominant function.

For example: Ni mixed with Se for INXJs. Won't this produce disastrous results? Apparently something similar to this would be the result of it:
"It might sound like an incoherent mish-mash of notes to you, but that only shows that you lack the finer discernment of the really cool people."

Anyone to give a more examples and ideas of the mixing of the dominant and inferior function?

VagrantFarce

This thread I made seems fairly related: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...25018-explaining-inferior-terms-dominant.html

INJ (se): "Accepting things as they appear is just another way of looking at things."
ITP (fe): "Our emotional needs are just chemical reactions signaled by our brains."
IFP (te): "People take responsibility for what they feel is important."
ISJ (ne): "Change can be only trusted if it is absolutely neccessary."

EFJ (ti): "Relationships are built on standards, standards we must all live up to."
ETJ (fi): "The captain goes down with the ship."
ENP (si): "If the rule is outdated, you either change it or ignore it."
ESP (ni): "Don't judge a book by it's cover."

The idea was that the Dominant function determines everything, including how the inferior function is regarded and "used". I don't think it would be "disastrous", since one can inform the other.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting. Basically using the inferior function based on the views of the dominant. But the use of the inferior function tends to show negative traits into a personality. That what the texts tell us about them.

VagrantFarce

It only emerges as negative traits if it's rejected (the dominant function being its polar opposite and acting as the "ego"). For example, an INJ may demonize Se for being a brutal, hedonistic or "stupid" way of looking at things, without realising that need to experience through an Se-lens. If they keep it down for too long, it can erupt in very over-the-top ways. This applies to all of the types and their inferior functions.

Inferior Function

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ality-matrices/22746-inferior-projection.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...-there-nothing-gain-my-inferior-function.html

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I think successfully mixing the two would be a glorious thing indeed, as it wouls alleviate many of problems faced by each type. Think of an INTJ with clear sight of both present and future, making it so much easier to guide one into the other. To fuse etheral Ni with visceral Se! To meld the bestial with the metaphysical and come out the otherside into a new realm of perception! IMAGINE THE POWER!

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Keep in mind the inferior function is also knows as the aspirational function. Vagrant, I think you're looking at it more antagonistically, which isn't necessarily the case.

I don't think inferior use always, or even usually is experienced negatively in moderately healthy individuals. Nor do I think you don't start to use it until you get older.
...As we learn to trust it and develop it, the aspirational role process provides a bridge to balance in our lives. Often our sense of purpose, inspiration, and ideals have the qualities of the process that plays this role.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I see, quite interesting. I guess I'll do a bit more research on it. Thank you Vagrant for the links.

VagrantFarce

Keep in mind the inferior function is also knows as the aspirational function. Vagrant, I think you're looking at it more antagonistically, which isn't necessarily the case.

I don't think inferior use always, or even usually is experienced negatively in moderately healthy individuals. Nor do I think you don't start to use it until you get older.

Oh sure, I don't mean to say that we always antagonize it, we just have a crazy love/hate relationship with it. On the one hand it's something we "aspire to" like you say, but on the other it feels so disorientating and antithetical to who we are that we can easily make excuses to ourselves that we somehow "don't need it". :)

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Oh sure, I don't mean to say that we always antagonize it, we just have a crazy love/hate relationship with it. On the one hand it's something we "aspire to" like you say, but on the other it feels so disorientating and antithetical to who we are that we can easily make excuses to ourselves that we somehow "don't need it". :)

Well perhaps my situation is special in that I have two Ti-dom siblings so I've never really had a love/hate relationship with Ti. Internally, Ti feels very natural to me, although I do notice when I Ti people I tend to like them less. So maybe you have a small point. ;)