User Tag List

First 234

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

That's an interesting article Babylon Candle. I do think we view our dominant function through the lens of our auxiliary. I have become conscious of my doing this recently in discussions here - it is hard to resist. I don't think defining our dominant function comes as naturally to us, as it is so ingrained but I do think it is possible with more thought.

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    INJ (Ni): "...reality is arbitrary, and we are nothing but irrational, pattern-seeking individuals. Every perspective is an assumption, and there is no right or wrong answer to anything."
    ITP (Ti): "...the universe makes sense, and is governed by logic. As people, we are subject to the same rules as everything else and are no "better" or "worse" than anything else."
    IFP (Fi): "...the world is shaped by individuals, with living emotional needs. We are all driven by subjective values that are specific to us and no one else."
    ISJ (Si): "...the world is shaped by individuals or communities with their own loyalties, seeking to preserve what they think is important."

EFJ (Fe): "...people are social animals, and we need to feel embraced in a larger community in order to feel good about ourselves."
    ETJ (Te) "...people love to take control. We measure, we exploit and we take as much as we can in order to feel good about ourselves."
    ENP (Ne) "...opportunities for change come and go, and we need to keep moving if we're going to catch them. We're like sharks! We have to keep moving in order to survive!"
    ESP (Se) "...everything is just a series of moments and sensations, and we're just animals at the end of the day. If we want something, we just go get it!"

I like doing these things
    To me, the Fi and Ne descriptions are wrong.

I don't think Ne is about change so much as possibilities. Ne users don't need change for the sake of change, it is often the mere result of pursuing possibilities.

My Ne "assumption" would be (note the use of metaphor ): "Above all else..."
    ...the world is like a elaborate jigsaw puzzle. In order to understand it, we must attempt put the pieces together without the picture to work from.

Or, alternatively, if that is too reductionistic:
    ... the answers are out there. We must open our minds in order to perceive the threads and stretch our imaginations so that we might see how they can be drawn together.

The Fi is harder for me to work out. I guess I would go a little more subjective: "Above all else..."

...people should always search deep within themselves to uncover what is right and true. We should trust our instincts and do what feels right, not merely what seems right.

INJ
    EFJ (Fe): "...people are social animals, and we need to feel embraced in a larger community in order to feel good about ourselves."
    This is why ENFJs in power freak me out:

YouTube - Bill and Hillary Clinton on Arsenio Hall

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I don't think Ne is about change so much as possibilities. Ne users don't need change for the sake of change, it is often the mere result of pursuing possibilities.

My Ne "assumption" would be (note the use of metaphor ): "Above all else..."
    ...the world is like a elaborate jigsaw puzzle. In order to understand it, we must attempt put the pieces together without the picture to work from.

Or, alternatively, if that is too reductionistic:
    ... the answers are out there. We must open our minds in order to perceive the threads and stretch our imaginations so that we might see how they can be drawn together.
    I hate jigsaws! They are just so mindnumbingly repetitive...

Ne: the world can be a jigsaw but I'm not going to put together in the "right" way - no way. It's much more interesting when you connect the apple to the smokestack than when you connect it to the apple tree, isn't it?
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post

Ne: the world can be a jigsaw but I'm not going to put together in the "right" way - no way. It's much more interesting when you connect the apple to the smokestack than when you connect it to the apple tree, isn't it?
    Looks like I've hit a nerve here Maybe it was too reductionistic.

I only meant the jigsaw metaphor to illustrate how Ne identifies commonalities between very separate things and brings them together to build and understand a bigger picture. I didn't intend to make it sound too rigid and limiting.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post

If you can make the enclosure airtight I am sure it is much more interesting. It all depends on your aim
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Looks like I've hit a nerve here Maybe it was too reductionistic.

I only meant the jigsaw metaphor to illustrate how Ne identifies commonalities between very separate things and brings them together to build and understand a bigger picture. I didn't intend to make it sound too rigid and limiting.
    Don't worry. But even in your metaphor, I don't see Ne as putting the jigsaw together correctly. It's putting every piece together with every other piece, regardless of the connection is right or wrong. It's producing random links the whole time, most of them nonsensical, some of them hitting on nice new insights. It's the task of the judging functions to sift through them and see which of Ne's connections are really fitting ones (the logical ones, TiTamske says) and which are garbage.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

INJ (Ni): "...reality is arbitrary, and we are nothing but irrational, pattern-seeking individuals. Every perspective is an assumption, and there is no right or wrong answer to anything."
    Do not relate.