• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pretentious [add in any other negative adjective] Ti

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I love Ti users so I guess I don't have too much else to add. I love to scratch them behind their ears and under their chins and feed them cookies with milk.

BUT - if I were to take note of when Ti-users are pretentious, it is when they present their personal theories as truth, when they are only opinions or assertions. This can cause confusion when their works are accessed by others, because they are interpreted as facts instead of as opinions. Indeed, a Ti user can come across as possessing an intellectually superior quality and have a very closed mind to the thoughts and interpretations of others.

Just the flip-side of the Pretentious Fi thread really. If an Fi user presents their feelings as the only truth, instead of an opinion, that too is presumptive.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I love Ti users so I guess I don't have too much else to add. I love to scratch them behind their ears and under their chins and feed them cookies with milk.
Thanks PeaceBaby! *nibbles on cookie*

Pretentious Ti:
- shoots something off for being inconsistent when, actually, it's about preference
- asks for logical arguments for everything, even if it's eg. about who would be a good partner for you. (Heck, TiTamske, my ESTJ is a good partner to me because I love him! Shut up already.)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^^ Quod erat demonstrandum :D

Tnx Peacebaby, for demonstrating how Fi-users can/prefer to draw comparisons in a non-judgemental way, and how that's a natural way of debating for us :)

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
:devil: Yes! Strike him down now! Feed your anger! It will make you more powerful than you can imagine!

I'm going to need a crown of gold now to complement all my newfound power. Bow down you subservient fools! :woot:

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
BUT - if I were to take note of when Ti-users are pretentious, it is when they present their personal theories as truth, when they are only opinions or assertions. This can cause confusion when their works are accessed by others, because they are interpreted as facts instead of as opinions. Indeed, a Ti user can come across as possessing an intellectually superior quality and have a very closed mind to the thoughts and interpretations of others.

Just the flip-side of the Pretentious Fi thread really. If an Fi user presents their feelings as the only truth, instead of an opinion, that too is presumptive.

This is very accurate. If a strong Ti-er concludes something from some sort of a prior logical reasoning, then they'll regard it as true. Unbalanced Ti would seriously benefit from some Pe. It would bring them back to reality and make their arguments more relevant to what's actually going on in the world.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

This is very accurate. If a strong Ti-er concludes something from some sort of a priori logical reasoning, then they'll regard it as true. Unbalanced Ti would seriously benefit from some Pe. It would bring Ti-ers back to reality and make their arguments more relevant to what's actually going on in the world.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
ooh! I'll try! :holy:

Ti people can be so pretentious sometimes by acting like they totally have the monopoly on thought and that everyone else probably isn't that bright and probably sits in the forest singing to the woodland creatures or something! :yes:

yes!! I know an INTP IRL and he doesn't do shit but thinks he's superior and deserves to be a tutor in our department at school, but its like he's failed all his core classes for the major because doesn't make page count. He's essentially all talk and thinks he's a fiction god, and it's like yeah he could do it but he's so fucking lazy. I'm like why do you think you have the right to act so pretentious when you don't do shit??? Its like he thinks he's better then everyone else and it's like I'm ok at fiction, I wouldn't say I was great but I do try to improve. I mean there are people who are better then me and their are people who are worse, and that's life.

Qre:us

Nails..retract people, plz? This doesn't help.

Q, I appreciate why you wanna split things, but personally, I ( and I dunno, perhaps other NFPs too) work better when I get to compare things coz it makes it easier to find the differences and grasp the similarities better, as you can compare it to the function that is natural to you. Doing this in a non-judgemental way however, is of the essence, I agree.

Fair enough, but the above assumes that only Ti users do not get the perspective of Fi, and, that all Fi users get/understand all manifestations of Fi.

That's why, in the other thread, I separated into what I subjectively evaluate as "good" and "bad" Fi. I've had discussions with those that I consider to have "good" Fi who are just as puzzled as me, being a Ti user, with some of these manifestations of Fi that they see ("bad" Fi).

So, comparing it to Ti with Fi is not always getting to the root of the issue of understanding some of the different manifestations of Fi, in an of itself, and likewise, Ti, in and of, itself.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How about NPs are pretentious? Since these threads are basically about NFPs and NTPs.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^ ooooh BlackCat, what a concept ...

I have cookies with milk for you too!

EDIT: nm, my input got swallowed by this shitty spam. think what ya will, i dont care

Stop being a baby and repost. It may have gotten swallowed up but more people will be visiting this thread, you never know if the later visitors might actually find some insight into your posts. It's not always about an immediate response.....

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
How about NPs are pretentious? Since these threads are basically about NFPs and NTPs.

I would like to point out that, you sometimes come across as one of the most pretenious posters on the board. Just letting you know.

Nicely put, and I agree. I have a few Ti users that I view as quite pretentious because they just want to play cat-and-mouse with someone but doesn't want to engage in a productive discourse.

E.g., there's an user here who's notorious for just shooting down what someone said with simply, "no, you're wrong, this is incorrect." and that's it. It's like, wtf? Do you think you're so special that I have to grease your pretentious ass to beg for a few crumbs of explanation?

If you think something is wrong, give the courtesy to explain why unless its blatantly obvious. And, I'm sure their response is, 'well, it's so clear that it's blatantly obvious to me.'........subjectivity allows some people to excuse a lot of their own assholishness.

Last edited:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
How does one recognise Ti (pretentious or otherwise)? I find that quite tricky, in practice.

By definition its not a function we can "see" from the outside.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^ Well said! Kind of like our Fi users saying "Hey - I don't emote this to the outside world, so how in the heck can I be pretentious!"

Perhaps it's all in the attempted expression of that inner process. So it should improve with use and maturity.

How does one recognise Ti (pretentious or otherwise)? I find that quite tricky, in practice.

By definition its not a function we can "see" from the outside.

It's easier to see the judging functions than the perceiving as the judgement is the manifestation into the real world, so F/T.

But, yes, it's the person then who has pretentious traits and not simply an isolated function, so the best way to be relevant to the OP would be to answer how their pretentiousness is manifested through their use of their judging function, in the case for this thread, their Ti.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
as the judgement is the manifestation into the real world, so F/T.

eh?

For a J, the external function is the judging one.

For a P, the external function is the perceiving one.

So, for a P, the judgement is not their manifestation onto the real world. it's on the inside. What you see is their perceiving function...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fair enough, but the above assumes that only Ti users do not get the perspective of Fi, and, that all Fi users get/understand all manifestations of Fi.

That's why, in the other thread, I separated into what I subjectively evaluate as "good" and "bad" Fi. I've had discussions with those that I consider to have "good" Fi who are just as puzzled as me, being a Ti user, with some of these manifestations of Fi that they see ("bad" Fi).

So, comparing it to Ti with Fi is not always getting to the root of the issue of understanding some of the different manifestations of Fi, in an of itself, and likewise, Ti, in and of, itself.

True, but if you look at what Peacebaby, once more, did, it's not that way that it's meant. It's more that, in order to make the other type understand, you compare what your function does to how it manifests itself, or how you've seen it manifest in the other function, so the other people can introspect and understand how it works.

The differences you're referring to can still be ID'd the same way, though they may not be familiar to all Fi-users or Ti-users out there, but it will still increase understanding of how it works for the other party as you understand your own function better and can relate better usually. If only we can do this in a non-judgemental way, and while retracting claws, we could potentially gain a lot from it.