User Tag List

123 Last

Default Tell me something, introverts.....

How exactly do you experiance being drained my people and socializing ?
    How often you don't feel drained around people ?
    In what suroundings you lose the smallest amount of energy ?
    Describe your normal conversation stile ?
    How much alone time do you need during a average day ?
    Last edited by Bellflower; 01-07-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typos drive me batsy!

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I feel tired after much socializing, both physically and mentally (but mostly mentally). When overly stimulated, I would just like to get away and be alone. Sometimes I'll feel sleepy when around many people for a while, but I'll be wide awake with few people / when alone.

When we do an activity that is interesting to me, then I won't really feel drained. If it's a boring discussion or something, then there's an even greater likelihood I'll be drained.

When there is not much external stimulation, not many people, when I'm doing something of interest.

Brief, to-the-point, blunt, clear.

Tough question, it varies depending on my energy during the day... I'd say, apart from sleep, probably several hours.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Interesting questions...

1) I am drained by extremely extroverted people, especially if I can't keep up with them. ExTJ's are the most tiring for me typically. I can't seem to ever get much out of being in a room with more than about 4 or 5 people, so if there's a party I can't be there for too long or I start getting really anxious. It helps of course if it's people I know, but in most situations I prefer 3 or less.

2) If I'm with people that I'm comfortable around, I'm fine. I don't really see it in the typical terms of "gaining and losing energy," I just get anxious. But I'm most comfortable when discussing something of interest to me or if it's people I know very well.

3) I have found that at my shows (I'm in a band with simulatedworld) I am generally very happy and comfortable and don't really feel as if I'm losing mental energy, only physical energy if it's a long show.

4) Normal conversation style for me is definitely listen more/answer questions. I do better responding to a question or a statement than I do creating a topic or asking questions. In in interview I would be the one searching for the appropriate words to express my feelings on a situation, not the one posing the questions.

5) I do not like alone time. I may be a rare occurrence among introverts in this way, but alone time makes me very uncomfortable. I prefer being with my girlfriend or with a buddy or a roommate or something. I would say around lots of people I get anxious, whereas alone I get uneasy.

Phantonym

It is like being drained, literally, everything around me gets a piece of me and I just want to vanish on the spot. In a group setting or even individually, my mind starts to wander, I start to shut off to the outside world and it becomes a blur, like I'm physically in a slow-motion loop and the rest of the world is bustling around me.
    It depends on my energy levels and the people I'm with. Good mood=lots of energy; bad mood=no energy. If I'm in a really good mood and the people I'm with are also in a good mood, then there's this pleasant energy give-take thing going on. I can go on pretty long like this.

However, if I feel the need to hold up the mood for the whole group all the time, then it gets old really fast and things just fall apart.

If I'm in a bad mood, everything irritates me and it's not even draining, it's an energy spill going on there and I need to get away, fast.
    My own home. My absolute haven. The second I walk out of my front door, the drainage of energy begins, faster or slower, depending on my mood.
    I listen, nod and smile. Others talk. I pay attention, give a few remarks here and there but I'm always distant, can't help it.
    As long as it takes. I don't have a steady, 9-5 lifestyle, so it differs greaty on a daily basis, and again, depends on my mood. I could survive as a hermit for the rest of my life.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I feel like I over-focus on people, and I exhaust myself.

Every once in a great while, someone else gives me energy, but mostly, I am spending it on them, so I would say I always feel drained around people.

My house.
    A quiet place.

Smile and nod. Jump in with the word someone is looking for. Facilitate. Sometimes entertain.

As much as I can possibly get. I will stay up late just to get alone time. (Sleeping doesn't count.) I could also be a hermit the rest of my life. I don't go out unless I have to.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I get drowsy, irritable, and feel like an energy vampire paid me a visit. When people try to interact with me I get rude and dismissive. All that I want to do for the rest of the day is withdraw. Depending on how much stimulation I want a good night's sleep will make me fine. If it's too much. I feel really bleh for the next day and need to get some more caffeine than usual.

I don't feel drained when they are people that I feel secure with/enjoy and who I have known for a long time. I also don't get drained when people don't talk constantly. The less people talk, the less drained I get.

At my house or a friend's house, or being in a moving vehicle. This may be different for a sensor, because I just take in the environment and enjoy it as I ride. Also being alone pretty much anywhere where I don't have to talk to people doesn't make me lose much at all.

I'm a responder about 65% of the time, the other 35% I am an initiator. It's just simply much easier to respond to what the other person is saying.

~3-4 hours maybe, or just 2. Depends on what else I'm doing that day. But a day without alone time creates a decent amount of stress for me.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i usually don't feel drained by people. but it seems like i have a tipping point where socialization just suddenly collapses for me. after i have been around someone for a while i hit this tipping point, and then i start to very quickly become antsy and uncomfortable. it feels less draining to me and more like unreleased energy that is pent up. sort of like a solitary energy that can't be released around other people. so it doesn't feel like i am sleepy or sluggish, it feels more like claustrophobia and spinning out of control. i am talking about really extreme cases, of course.

it seems like i loose energy a lot slower if i meet people somewhere else, instead of having them come to me.
    and at home i can socialize a lot longer.

clipped and concise, usually. i pass on a lot of conversations that don't interest me, and then throw myself at the ones that do.
    i have a habit of interrupting people. but i like to be interrupted too.

i think it depends on how much negativity i come up against during the day. but a couple of hours alone, i guess.

MBTI
    STP

My Se and Fe gets pulled into overdrive in regards to being aware of others feelings and doing something about it. I would prefer to be the one running all over the place with 5 different tasks going at once then being the one to figure out what needs to be done.

If left to my own accord I can avoid this as I will escape, if forced to stay in situations then alot.

Any physically demanding setting, analyzing problems, when I dont have to worry about how others feel.

Low energy(doesnt mean non emotional). I will not jump up and down with you, but I will be happy for you. I may not cry with you, but I will hurt inside. Also I enjoy analyzing reasons and troublshooting things, digging into things.

Couple hours probably. Doesnt have to be alone, just mental time.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

It depends on the people and the situation. When the pressure to 'perform' in social situations is greater or the subject is urgent/upsetting, then it drains me to the point that I feel like it's a battle to preserve my inner sense of calm at any given moment. The drained feeling is the result of gathering up my internal defenses and trying to deal with unanticipated changes that my momentarily rigid mind can't deal with.

Not often, unfortunately. Maybe a half a dozen times a month.

In what suroundings you lose the smallest amount of energy?
    Not by myself, actually. I'm most at ease in the company of 2-3 people I'm completely relaxed around. There's no pressure to carry the conversation and I'm not by myself enough to get carried away by negative thoughts.

When it's a good conversation, I'm cracking jokes and smiling all the time. I'm very bubbly and easy to engage. In serious discussions, I have no problem putting my ideas out, having them scrutinized and following the Ne train from topic to topic.

But if I'm uncomfortable around the people I'm with, I feel judged and dismissed. I clam up and get defensive about my opinions when they are pulled out of me. I'm not flexible enough to follow a conversation as it flows and get frustrated if a topic passes too quickly. It feels weird to me silent, so I say stupid crap to fulfill the (perceived) expectation that I speak, leading to yet more awkwardness.

It depends on who I'm avoiding.
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

ˇcataplum!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

How exactly do you experience being drained my people and socializing ?
    At some point, even if I feel fine and am enjoying myself, suddenly I will be restless, unable to focus on what is being said, and I feel physically exhausted and drained and want to just get away.

it's, uh, like feeling tired and drained, ya know?

If I can't get away physically, I will withdraw into myself.
    If I do that, inevitably people start asking me if I'm "okay."

Note it can happen suddenly, just like a car finally runs out of gas and just stops.
    I can seem fine and engaging one minute, then suddenly I drop "below minimum energy level" and I just shut down.

Kind of hard to answer. As long as my reservoir is not drained, I'm good to go. If I did not fill my reservoir completely the last time, my "good time" will be shorter.

Low-key and private. Maybe coffee house is the best-case social setting.
    Louder events with more people/stimulation will drain me faster.

One on one; one on small group.

If I don't know people well, i just listen and smile and drop an occasional comment. If I can't get in a comment, I might eventually leave.

I get a lot of alone time already because I work in a cube.
    So I don't know the answer.

It depends on how rested I am... and how preoccupied with my current thoughts I am. If I am distracted by a project/task/interest, or if I'm tired, I'm more apt to avoid people.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft