• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Let's talk about Tertiary-Fi, if's that OK? ^_^

VagrantFarce

Does Tertiary-Fi lead to some instances where an ITJ might think "the rules don't apply to me, since I am a beautiful and unique snowflake that cannot be categorised and controlled"? Do ITJs then need to "shift gears" and take responsibility and accountability for themselves (in other words, embracing an Extraverted Thinking stance)?

So an INTJ might create an unhealthy romantic attachment to the patterns that they perceive, and then must take responsbility for themselves by applying rational thought and taking responsbility for their subjective perceptions.

An ISTJ might create an unhealthy romantic attachment to whatever they think must be maintained, and then must take responsbility for themselves by applying rational thought and taking responsbility for their subjective perceptions.

How does Tertiary-Fi typically play itself out?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
example of the sandwich feedback:

I like that you are interested in and dedicated to learning more and understanding how a function that is probably hard for you to interpret.

AND it would be even greater if you from all of this could learn that the title you used might be not the best choice. However I do love the last sentence of your post, that would make a great title. The title and the first paragraph could use a rewrite on the emotionally charged vocabulary when talking to Fi-users (though INTJs might just brush it off :D), by removing such words as 'special little snowflake' and 'the rules do not apply to me' and perhaps stating that it appears as if Fi in INTJs makes them follow their inner guidelines and prefer those over the law and societies norms which then inevitably at times clash and can give the INTJ the appearance of potential arrogance or even selfishness.

Overal I commend you for contributing to the Fi-communicating that is going on and adding a new perspective, namely Fi in the relief function, instead of the nowadays much debated dom and parent function.

/lesson :cheese:

:alttongue:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL, "impartial". That's a good one :D

Consider it constructive feedback as how to address these delicate issues, much like how we're to use definitions and paragraphs and god knows what other stuff to debate your logical analytical shit :alttongue: :D

Sorry, dude, you're unfortunately the first victim of my Quest to educate all NTs out there on the rules when debating potentially emotionally charged topics. Nothing personal :coffee:

VagrantFarce

Sorry, dude, you're unfortunately the first victim of my Quest to educate all NTs out there on the rules when debating potentially emotionally charged topics. Nothing personal :coffee:

If only everyone was as unfeeling as me, then I wouldn't have to worry about causing offence :(

But of course, ITJs shouldn't be offended because they're powerful, rational creatures with impenetrable steel skin! Come on ITJs, show us what you've got to offer! :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The first rule about tertiary-fi is, you don't talk about tertiary-fi.

Oh, and the second rule about tertiary-fi is, know that I know that you know you saw what I did there.

I think tertiary-fi is the one thing that keeps ITJ's from developping a god complex. It's their humble-maker. It tempers their very focused energy. Like a valve preventing them from going 'boom'.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If only everyone was as unfeeling as me, then I wouldn't have to worry about causing offence :(

Sarcasm like that makes me spontaniously erupt. Mrrrr.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Berens seems to capture it well:

They can enjoy spending time on activities they think are worthwhile—doing volunteer work or studying, teaching, or writing about what's important. Often they feel strongly that something is good or bad. They work to make things come out right. They often feel great loyalty to [ISTJ] their family, community, faith, coworkers, forbears, culture, and profession. [INTJ] a few people or projects and strive to focus on what is important. As they experience the deep value of life's many moments, they start sorting and choosing beliefs to find what fits personally. This often involves [ISTJ] re-examining the worth of what they learned growing up [INTJ] reframing ideals from some broader perspective. From here they continually examine if choices match inner values and intent to better balance deep feelings of loyalty with an intense desire to follow what is important for their own growth or vision. This can seem selfish to others. [ISTJ] This ongoing process can be painful as they try to balance deep feelings of loyalty to people and tradition with what they can honestly live with. Later in life, they can become quite dedicated to shepherding others toward the values they have found are important.

They may follow absolute ideals or a specific belief system. [Their] concern about what is worth doing helps narrow down their wide [ISTJ: sense of responsibilities to specific roles; INTJ: vision to specific skills or projects to focus on]. The result is certainty about the right path. They can be quite dedicated to what they believe is important, supporting a movement or organization and acting as a [ISTJ: steadying hand/INTJ: voice of reason] within that group.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

But of course, ITJs shouldn't be offended because they're powerful, rational creatures with impenetrable steel skin! Come on ITJs, show us what you've got to offer! :D

And if all you NTs would use normal English to describe what you're analyzing in a simple straight forward way instead of wanting to sound important, I wouldnt have the urge to ram my head into the wall :BangHead: Unfortunately, neither one of us seems to be getting what they want on this one :(

Too bad you boys are so interesting for breeding purposes, or I'd kick you off to go find your own planet :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Too bad you boys are so interesting for breeding purposes, or I'd kick you off to go find your own planet :D

What baffles me is what reasons an NT would have for breeding with you. They know something I don't? :smile:

Interesting thought? How do I say this is a joke without making it sound condenscending to an ENFP... Do I need tertiary-fi perhaps? *ponders*

Woah, two jokes in one, my tertiary-fe is really bugging me now to stop though. I guess I don't want you to feel bad or something. Even though I wouldn't know why you'd feel bad, or something. This is so confusing! Where is that darned Fi when you need it!

I can go on all night long... :devil:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What baffles me is what reasons an NT would have for breeding with you. They know something I don't? :smile:

Interesting thought? How do I say this is a joke without making it sound condenscending to an ENFP... Do I need tertiary-fi perhaps? *ponders*

Woah, two jokes in one, my tertiary-fe is really bugging me now to stop though. I guess I don't want you to feel bad or something. Even though I wouldn't know why you'd feel bad, or something. This is so confusing! Where is that darned Fi when you need it!

I can go on all night long... :devil:

I know, right? I'm still trying to figure that one out myself :D
Also, yeah, you're going to have to Fi up if you wanna get it (pun intended :alttongue:)

You are kinda cute for a stalker though *tickles you under your chin*

Ok, let's stop derailing this thread before Vagrant really gets annoyed at me :peepwall:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, I will describe how I see tertiary Fi used. This is used mostly in males as I know more IxTJ types.

Its when they revert to feelings to convince you of something because the details/theory just dont work.

ex. I was gonna go out on icy roads for fun, my dad responded with all the possible scenarios that could happen, I rationalized them all, then he just got frustrated and said its just stupid in a raised tone.

Thats what tertiary Fi is to me, its when he lets out his dominant Si/Ni and gets nowhere and has to revert to his other internal state of feelings.

The other option is to think about possibilities or details and see how he feels about them. Then share those with others to see if they feel the same way. It seems to bother them if others attack the detail or possibilities like they are attacking their judgement:doh: you kinda are though if you think about how the function order backwards. I think this attacking hurts more with people they start to like.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Poki, awesome post, and I can see that working yes, but then mostly when Fi is pressured. I'm hoping the IXTJs here will contribute on what tertiary Fi does for them when used properly.

@fluffy: *whispers* You don't have tertiary Fe..just so you know ;)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
@fluffy: *whispers* You don't have tertiary Fe..just so you know ;)

Yes I have, I know I have! I just know it!

Fine! I know, it was part of the Fi joke. Would have used any cog function that wasn't Ti or Ne I could use that woulda related to the conversation in anyway that wasn't Si, as if tertiary-fi is talking. Ie, you can say what you want about tertiary-fi all you like, it'll hide and camoflage itself where possible! I hate it when I overshoot my Ti humor. :(

I was explaining what I think tertiary-fi is, in a few ways. :p

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes I have, I know I have! I just know it!

Fine! I know, it was part of the Fi joke. Would have used any cog function that wasn't Ti or Ne I could use that woulda related to the conversation in anyway that wasn't Si, as if tertiary-fi is talking. Ie, you can say what you want about tertiary-fi all you like, it'll hide and camoflage itself where possible! I hate it when I overshoot my Ti humor. :(

I was explaining what I think tertiary-fi is, in a few ways. :p

No lying, You were trying to act it out.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No lying, You were trying to act it out.

Ehhh.. Ehmm... Errr... Talk to the hand, cuz the face ain't listening. Hmpf!

*hides*