• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do intuitives play more psychological games?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
In the spirit of grossly generalized and stereotyped MBTI threads I thought I'd throw a few into the pot.

Title says it all. When I say "psychological games" I'm containing it to purposeful and conscious games for entertainment purposes or advancing a personal agenda in both the personal and professional arenas.

Discuss. ;)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm intuitive... and I need a better description to go on here.

What's a psychological game? Like mucking with someone's head in a conversation just to see what they'll do?

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Of course not all N's play psychological games.
But the only games S's play are sports.
So All psychological games must be played by N's.

Q.E.D.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I'm going to leave this open to interpretation for right now and the only way I want to limit it is by saying they are done purposefully.

I notice that when I give examples to queries like this people focus on the examples and not the question.

But to give a vague outline (please do not focus on this!!) here's the premise of a movie I find roughly getting at what I'm saying:
Two junior executives on a six week business trip...devise a...plan to get even with women for their past hurts: They intend to find, romance, and then dump a vulnerable woman.

Once again, do not focus on this example. It's just the general idea of what I'm getting at.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
Hummm....I haven't noticed that to be true. I only have two N friends, but both are very upfront and honest as am I. The most manipulative people I have known are S's, but I think that is just a coincidence becuase there are more S's than N's. The manipulative people I've know are very unhealthy...I think that the fear/anxiety/anger, etc they are experiencing is what drives them to try to manipulate and control people. Any type can be unhealthy.

Oh Wait! I forgot there is a super-crazy, super-manipulative ENFJ that I know...she's definitely on the "most manipulative people I have ever met" list. I forgot about her becuase I ran like hell from her a long time ago :run:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Once again, do not focus on this example. It's just the general idea of what I'm getting at.

I won't focus on the movie, except to say I've seen at least part of it and what's ironic in relation to this question is that I think they were both Sensors. :doh:

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
Absolutely not. I almost want to say that I think E's are more prone to psychological games, but that's probably not true. I'm gonna go with: Not a type thing. ;)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I won't focus on the movie, except to say I've seen at least part of it and what's ironic in relation to this question is that I think they were both Sensors. :doh:

STPs, right?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure how to answer this question. It might be the case, but I suspect it can occur in any type. I've personally encountered various STP mindgames as well. I think I know what you are saying, and it brings to mind an ESFJ woman I know who was asking what "passive-aggressive" meant in a conversation. It was endearing because she was so direct in her communication that I could see she could sincerely not understand that sort of indirect communication which is an element that can play into mindgames.

One thing that does intimidate me about some iNtuitives (or at least people who describe themselves as intuitive) is the inclination to judge someone based on their gut feeling about the person. It has made me more cautious to not do that to anyone else and try to leave everything open-ended.

I think the inclination to be satisfied with communication based on fragments that are expanded into a whole picture (gut feeling = conclusion) can complicate communication and result in certain types of games because it is not straightforward at its core.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The only person I know who really does play psychological games and excels in it is an ESTP.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ns, maybe (I don't know), but definitely not NFs, IMO.

Qre:us

Mindgames manifested (unhealthies of all types):

INTP - I'm going to tease you with leading questions, by twisting the sentiment of your thought into cold, hard obscure logic, so that the defensive side of you gets worked up and you take the bait, and then I make you corner yourself, in a frustrated heap of pathetic human emotions. Why did you get like that? I was just asking a simple question. :dry:

INTJ - Ah, I'll mess with your head so good, and you won't even really get it as my Ni is floating above and beyond your head, and I'll make you paranoid that what you're reading literally is actually a dry, sarcastic stab (or a more darker, sinister aim), but, you'll never really know, will you? And, so I watch you squirm. Are the lambs silenced yet? :vader1:

INFJ - I'm going to manipulate your soul until it is a naked, withering heap :cry: at my feet, and then, I'll save you from yourself. Come here, it'll all be all right. There, there. I'm here. Shh, but, I wrote the book on Stolkholm Syndrome.

INFP - feel the blast of my defensive Fi, as the bitch in me comes out, as I take your small sentiment and reconstruct it, FiNe style, and then make you feel like my lashing out at you with bitterness is all your fault because you were bullying and vitimizing me. Why do you make me defensive? You made me do it. You make me like this. I hate it but I wouldn't be like this if you didn't make me, you know.

ENFP - I love you, I love you not, I love you, I love you not, I love you!!! (NOT!)

ENFJ - Everyone that you know and love, I will turn against you, put seeds of doubt into your mind, and make you feel naked, and unclothed in this world, begging me to rescue you.

ENTJ - For every thing that you do, I will make you feel incompetent, for every thing that you say, I will make you feel foolish, for every air that you breathe, I'm going to make you feel like the most inefficient human being to waste my time.

ENTP - The play's the thing! You will never know whether you're one of the players or the one getting played! So, you will pull away, but I'll tickle your thoughts to come back for more, draw you into my web, until I am bored. That's when I'll make you feel like you should take full ownership that it was because of YOU and your pathetic, uninteresting self, that made me lose my interest. Have you ever met someone with an Antisocial Personality Charm? No? Well, m'lady, allow me to present myself, they call me Diablo, but you can call me yours.

ISTP - "You move me in a way that I've never known. Straight away you moved into position again, you abused me in a way that I've never known. Break me, shake me, hate me, take me over, when the madness stops, you will be alone. You confuse me a way I've never known." You think you know how to tame me, and I'll let you believe it, it tickles my senses, watching you try.

ESTP - Let me sell you a bridge, shall I? See, you don't want to buy the bridge because you've not yet thought of all the possible ways that it will be of use to you. Let me tell you: Like, this way! Oh, and this way! And, that! I see you caving, come on, you know you want to....just take it. Take the plunge.

ESTJ - No, you're wrong! Why? Because I said so! Oh, great, now a pathetic display of emotions, is this so that you can move me into caring? Because it is not working. Tears are for sissies! Quitting is for losers! MAN UP! Weakling!

ISTJ - I do not approve, go ahead and do it, just try, see how you like the consequences, because oh yes, you'll pay, I know what you're like, I remember all that you've revealed about yourself, so, go ahead...try to go against my wishes. I remember every last thing that you did to me, and every anger you shook in me. I'll bide my time, and then you'll pay. I warned you about my wrath. You'll soon enough meet an immovable rock, try it, try and move me. Pathetic.

ESFJ - You don't love me, because if you did, you would do this, and this, and that, and that, for me. No, doing it that way is not good enough, you're obviously not making the effort, as you keep failing every time. Of course, I know exactly what your number is, and NO, I do not like it, nor do I approve. Explain yourself! That's it? That was your justification? That is the most ridiculous explanation I've heard. Try again! Why do you not listen to me from the start? I told you I knew what was best for you, way better than you did!

ISFJ - I'm going to smother you with "nurturing" so that my passive-agressiveness is easier to swallow.

ESFP - Who are you again? Did I meet you at this place? No? Oh, well, listen, hurry up and tell me what you want because I don't have all day. I got way better things to explore with my time, and you're really stunting my vibe. Hey, hey, don't blame me if that hurt your feelings, I just like to keep it real.

ISFP - You don't understand me, you don't want to understand me, you're going against me just to hurt me, no! I will not come out of my shell, in fact, I'll dig in deeper, until I cannot see you even if you stand in front of me; from here on out, you are inconsequential to me, life's other great pleasures wait for me, and you are just a waste of my time.

(above, wild guesses....please feel free to revise)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure if it would be type-related, but the types I would associate with that kind of personality are ENTPs and possibly ESTPs (I don't know any of the latter IRL as far as I know, so I'm going based on stereotype). ENTPs are actually the only ones I've observed doing such things. Though I don't know many people all that well, of any type.

If it is type related, I can't picture an ISTP being more or less into playing mind games than an INTP, though. Unless we're being very loose about the term mind games.

edit: or, I'm just oblivious to 90% of the mind games people are trying to play with me. I think this is very likely.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
Mindgames manifested (unhealthies of all types):

ESFJ - You don't love me, because if you did, you would do this, and this, and that, and that, for me. No, doing it that way is not good enough, you're obviously not making the effort, as you keep failing every time. Of course, I know exactly what your number is, and NO, I do not like it, nor do I approve. Explain yourself! That's it? That was your justification? That is the most ridiculous explanation I've heard. Try again! Why do you not listen to me from the start? I told you I knew what was best for you, way better than you did!

Hey! How do you know my ex-boyfriend? If I had a nickel for everytime he said "You don't love me" I could buy and sell all of you...twice :BangHead:

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hey! How do you know my ex-boyfriend? If I had a nickel for everytime he said "You don't love me" I could buy and sell all of you...twice :BangHead:

I'm sure the correct response to someone saying "You don't love me" is to suggest that surely that is something for you to decide and not them?

As for the games thing;
ENTPs do for sure

as for the rest, ENFPs can, sod it anyone can, the thing is did the op wants to make a difference between times when someone does this to influence events for what they consider to be for good or just for the fun of it?

I have considered messing with peoples heads just for the fun of it, and it appeals to my darker side but frankly I'd feel way to guilty even thinking about it to do it!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Of course not all N's play psychological games.
But the only games S's play are sports.
So All psychological games must be played by N's.

Q.E.D.

This from an introvert who is more comfortable in Si then Ne.