User Tag List

12 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Default Do intuitives play more psychological games?

In the spirit of grossly generalized and stereotyped MBTI threads I thought I'd throw a few into the pot.

Title says it all. When I say "psychological games" I'm containing it to purposeful and conscious games for entertainment purposes or advancing a personal agenda in both the personal and professional arenas.

Discuss.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm intuitive... and I need a better description to go on here.

What's a psychological game? Like mucking with someone's head in a conversation just to see what they'll do?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Of course not all N's play psychological games.
    But the only games S's play are sports.
    So All psychological games must be played by N's.

Q.E.D.

Enneagram
    1w2

I'm going to leave this open to interpretation for right now and the only way I want to limit it is by saying they are done purposefully.

I notice that when I give examples to queries like this people focus on the examples and not the question.

But to give a vague outline (please do not focus on this!!) here's the premise of a movie I find roughly getting at what I'm saying:
    Two junior executives on a six week business trip...devise a...plan to get even with women for their past hurts: They intend to find, romance, and then dump a vulnerable woman.
    Once again, do not focus on this example. It's just the general idea of what I'm getting at.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

That's my name biotch! JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

Hummm....I haven't noticed that to be true. I only have two N friends, but both are very upfront and honest as am I. The most manipulative people I have known are S's, but I think that is just a coincidence becuase there are more S's than N's. The manipulative people I've know are very unhealthy...I think that the fear/anxiety/anger, etc they are experiencing is what drives them to try to manipulate and control people. Any type can be unhealthy.

Oh Wait! I forgot there is a super-crazy, super-manipulative ENFJ that I know...she's definitely on the "most manipulative people I have ever met" list. I forgot about her becuase I ran like hell from her a long time ago
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Once again, do not focus on this example. It's just the general idea of what I'm getting at.
    I won't focus on the movie, except to say I've seen at least part of it and what's ironic in relation to this question is that I think they were both Sensors.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Absolutely not. I almost want to say that I think E's are more prone to psychological games, but that's probably not true. I'm gonna go with: Not a type thing.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I won't focus on the movie, except to say I've seen at least part of it and what's ironic in relation to this question is that I think they were both Sensors.
    STPs, right?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm not sure how to answer this question. It might be the case, but I suspect it can occur in any type. I've personally encountered various STP mindgames as well. I think I know what you are saying, and it brings to mind an ESFJ woman I know who was asking what "passive-aggressive" meant in a conversation. It was endearing because she was so direct in her communication that I could see she could sincerely not understand that sort of indirect communication which is an element that can play into mindgames.

One thing that does intimidate me about some iNtuitives (or at least people who describe themselves as intuitive) is the inclination to judge someone based on their gut feeling about the person. It has made me more cautious to not do that to anyone else and try to leave everything open-ended.

I think the inclination to be satisfied with communication based on fragments that are expanded into a whole picture (gut feeling = conclusion) can complicate communication and result in certain types of games because it is not straightforward at its core.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

The only person I know who really does play psychological games and excels in it is an ESTP.