• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

is Mbti becoming a religion?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
And this is fine, as long as people are aware that the predictions you take from a biased model will also be biased.

It works as long as you see the predictions that can be drawn from the Mbti model as statistically significant suggestions towards behavioral preferences rather than relying on it to tell you exactly how an individual will act.

Meh. I would prefer to go stronger than that. Statistical significance doesn't allow one to say entities exist. And if you can't say the functions exist, then you can say people could change into different types, which is to say, vary their statistical correlated behaviours enough to alter their statistically correlated identity.

So I'm working like this: extraverted thinking is a relatively shallow function, meaning along with occasionally proving stuff, it tends from time to time to just allow that something is true and then go from there, but it only gets away with that because there's some other function backing up the allowance--and in my case that would be introverted intuition which does a lot more work on guessing what is possible and what isn't and comes closer to "truth" in it's own way--and that makes me feel good because it feels like I'm on the right track to dealing with the world, especially if I can walk around and see things actually play out like that.

Great stuff, except that introverted intuition is itself probably unfalsifiable. It can be truthified but seeing stuff come true, but, well, it's not detailed conceptual analysis, that's fer sure.

Extraverted thinking is the scourge here. You see a lot of stuff about Fe being the devil, but just look at the way extraverted thinking dictates realities too.

PureStealth

MBTI Type
INTJ
And if you can't say the functions exist, then you can say people could change into different types, which is to say, vary their statistical correlated behaviours enough to alter their statistically correlated identity.

I would argue that this is the case, as I've observed that people will alter their statistically correlated behaviors throughout the course of their lives (especially after certain events or conditioning, such as time in military service).

That isn't to say that their underling cognitive processes change, but simply that their thinking has been adapted in such a way as to, as you put it, alter their statistically correlated identity. If the person has changed enough to test as a different type on an Mbti test, then chances are that is directly correlated to their behavioral preferences.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
some people follow it just as strong as the bible to map lives and make decisions, is this wise? what are the possible pitfalls that people may occur up on following it?

Sorry, but it's time for a Ti moment:

Religion is a groups' beliefs and practices in regards to the supernatural. MBTI tends to not delve too far into supernatural topics.

How about MBTI becoming a philosophy? People follow Nietzsche's texts like they are some kind of road map to life. ::shrug::

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ugh, no, it's not. Anyone who knows anything about typology knows that it's just a made up labeling system. Nobody worth his salt thinks there's anything scientifically verifiable about it.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We believe too strongly in it and over apply it.

Speak for yourself.

some people follow it just as strong as the bible to map lives and make decisions, is this wise? what are the possible pitfalls that people may occur up on following it?

That would indeed be very unwise. Fortunately very very few people actually do that.

:laugh: If it's becoming a religion, it's just another thing I'll be agnostic about.

It's simply a tool - no more, no less. If it helps - fine. If it doesn't, it's not because you don't believe in it strongly enough.

Its a model, it can be used to make predictions with reasonable accuracy. Nothing more.

+1 (each)

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I just built a temple for the almighty God of MBTI in my room. I pray to the God of MBTI 16 times a day (once for every type) and once a week I sacrifice something for Him. The God of MBTI is everything to me. I didn't know what the meaning of life, of anything actually was, until He found me. It was about a year ago. I was walking to the supermarket and all of the sudden He spoke to me and told me that I should spread His wisdom around the world. That was quite an experience. Ever since we always stay in touch. When I'm sleeping, He sends me messages in my dreams. He tells me what to do and what not to do. He told me that he was happy with His temple in my bedroom. When He saw how beautiful it was, He asked me to build a church for Him as well and to find Him some new followers. That is going to be very tough, but I'm sure that He will be very happy when I finally succeed. I hope that I can marry him one day, so I can become the Goddess of MBTI, I really would like to, but He wants me to become the first Popette of MBTI first. I am willing to fulfill that job, it doesn't matter how hard it will become. I might die while dedicating all my work to Him, but all that really matters is that the Church of MBTI will become the greatest religion that ever existed.

PRAISE LORD MBTI!!!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm carpooling with some of my fellow North Carolinians to attend the Wednesday night service at the local MBTI church.

Wait... you didn't know that those existed? :huh:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Google is a way better deity than MBTI anyway, wouldn't you say?

S

Sniffles

This discussion is worthless untill we hear from the great prophet Victor on the matter.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

No, you're the one who shows up screaming hysterically about what a vicious conspiracy has overtaken all the members because you assume they all take Genesis literally. :violin:

S

Sniffles

No, you're the one who shows up screaming hysterically about what a vicious conspiracy has overtaken all the members because you assume they all take Genesis literally. :violin:

Yeah really. Com'on Victor, where's the free verse rants we've become so accustomed to? Remember there's a 5 line minimum to them.