• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Describe how you experience your type's functions!! IT'S FUN, HONEST

VagrantFarce

Fun little exercise. :) Can be as long or as short as you want.

Introverted Thinking: Reasoning in terms of situational logic. Using Ti, I'm able to analyse every situation in front of me in terms of its individual variables and, as a result, assess the logical coherency of what I'm perceiving. This involves a constant process of categorising and sub-categorising everything, shifting those categories about, until a wonderful logical whole emerges. It's like shifting the pieces of a jigsaw around until you finally see the whole picture. :)

Extraverted Intuition: Gaining a witty, spontaneous insight - it's kind of like looking through the cracks of a rock surface and finding a wonderful malteser inside, waiting to be devoured. :D Most of the time it reveals itself via silly wordplay, sometimes it reveals itself in terms of finding new opportunities for something. I might notice something that someone said, assess the logic of the statement, and find an opportunity that allows me to say something witty, and I just can't keep it in and I have to bloody say it or I'll explode. Or I'll swallow it and after a few seconds the moment will pass, and I'll just look like a fool if I say it now after waiting too long.

Introverted Sensation: Internalizing sensations to create a sense of stability. Sensations around me trigger an association with the past, and that could either be a good sensation or a bad sensation. If I'm particuarly stressed out or too tired I can become irritable about new experiences, not wanting to risk damaging or losing the sensations I have stored up (that's the best way I can put it).

Extraverted Feeling: Creating connections and fostering emotional ties with others. I've found that I can get away with minimal social contact with others with my sanity intact. I sometimes avoid social events by saying that "I find time around others to be too distracting or shallow/fickle", but when I do end up being dragged to something I often have an alright time. :) I know that if I'm left to my own devices for too long I'll cut off all connections with others, and I'll start to turn into "that strange loner" who just plain refuses to leave his Home Sweet Home and humble himself in front of others. That's when things go baaaaad. :)

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
Introverted Thinking: The reason why teachers look at me baffled after i answer a question in class like i have a tarantula resting on my head(ti is probably why I wouldn't notice if their was a tarantula resting on my head) "thaaaat's interesting but not quite im looking for."

Extraverted Intuition:The reason why a few people find me interesting, and also the reason why i woke up this morning with the thought snails have more freedom than humans discuss(to myself), Ti was in overdrive over this for the rest of the day.

Introverted Sensing:Hardest for me to describe so basically what vagrantfarce said lol

Extraverted Feeling:lol Poor development of this is the reason why I am 'the strange loner', the reason why I secretly care deeply about everyone I know, also why I had a childish outburst today when someone didn't agree with my argument that maths should be considered as one of the main religions.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Geez, all INTPs here. :rolli: I'll give it a go.

Introverted Feeling
: Taking everything on a personal, subjective level. I'm touched easily, and yet, I keep my feelings safe and sacred. Who I have been, and what I want to be, I know with astonishing clarity. But there's difficulty in putting yourself aside to understand everything another person is feeling.

Extraverted Intuition: The inability to decide because there's too many possibilities in this world. Thinking outside the box. Sometimes straying too far from the box. :tongue:

Introverted Sensing: What grounds Ne. The connection to the past that makes me seek stability now, and makes me factor in my past mistakes and successes to decide today. A nostalgic function. A comfortable function.

Extraverted Thinking:
A last-ditch attempt at thinking clearly to avoid befuddling emotions. A desperate desire to be competent and objective, only perfectly utilized when most needed. My secret weapon.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
In the most nebulous form possible :p

Introverted Feeling - The gut feel. The thing that decides what is important and what is not. What tells me to dig in my heels and steadfastly refuse to budge regardless of the overwhelming opposition or force.

Extraverted iNtuition - The gift/curse that sees everything in shades of gray. Coupled with Fi, swings me from brooding pessimist to bouncy optimist.

Introverted Sensing - My internal hard disk. Stores all sorts of trivial and non-trivial stuff. The thing that allows me to notice how someone moved my coffee mug from its usual spot while the rest of my desk remains a mess. Together with Fi, allows me to recreate situations I have been in before and to 'refeel' the joy,triumph,sorrow,despair,etc of that moment in my head.

Extraverted Thinking - When my Si hard-disk is full of stuff coming from FiNe, this is what is used to put things down in an attempt to make some 'logical' sense of all the things bouncing in my head.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Introverted Something; Maybe Te: (Not confident enough to pick a type, so let's leave it at that)
Observes the world and tries to figure it out. Always searching for the true essence of anything without desiring to use too many words to describe it. Images are the preferred form of communication. Everything has a distinct form and the words used to describe it are largely arbitrary. Remembers everything important about the essence of things, but not the consequences of that essence, leaving those understood or to be re-found if they ever need be retrieved. Doesn't consider any answer impossible, but is fully aware of when conflicting answers exist, although just about any two things can be synthesized together. There's so many potentially wrong answers out there that the truth could very well be found in the oddest of places.

VagrantFarce

Observes the world and tries to figure it out. Always searching for the true essence of anything without desiring to use too many words to describe it. Images are the preferred form of communication. Everything has a distinct form and the words used to describe it are largely arbitrary. Remembers everything important about the essence of things, but not the consequences of that essence, leaving those understood or to be re-found if they ever need be retrieved. Doesn't consider any answer impossible, but is fully aware of when conflicting answers exist, although just about any two things can be synthesized together. There's so many potentially wrong answers out there that the truth could very well be found in the oddest of places.

Come on man, this is textbook Ti. :)

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
It could be anything, it's too vague. :tongue: But seriously, "figure out the world in and describe it concisely" is Ti Ti Ti Ti Ti Ti Ti Ti Ti Ti Ti

Fa So La Do.

I still don't have a need to categorize the world and subcategorize it. Reductionism has its limits, although I'm more than capable of using it and rely on it for explanations.

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
From the perspective of an INTJ:

Introverted intuition: Always being aware of multiple interpretations of everything, and accepting that they may all be simultaneously literally true. Always having the answer come to you, either straight away or, sometimes, months after you asked yourself the question.

Extraverted thinking: Automatic way of doing anything. Upon acceptance of a task, it is broken down and structured in an internal model, and then executed according to that model. Constantly looking at better ways things could be structured. Always, always planning ahead - for everything.

Introverted feeling: Having an extremely strong sense of right and wrong, despite the fact that your brain tells you there's no such thing. Empathising with animals in documentaries and statistics in the news. Contemplating what really matters in life. Actually really being quite sensitive, regardless of how you may appear on the outside.

Extroverted sensing: Scenes you encounter strike you suddenly as mesmerising, totally absorbing, and as all of reality. (Fi values this). (Ni accepts the possibility that the experience is in fact all of reality). Being absorbed in music.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got on a roll examining my own inferior functions and how they express themselves in me.... :D

Introverted Feeling: An internal sense of what is right and wrong and what makes sense, particularly from what I call a "human standpoint", dealing with emotions & morals and how they work and trying to harmonize the inconsistencies through evaluation. Things tend to resonate with me as truth immediately, and further reflection and analyzing sort of fits it into already existing beliefs, or susses out why it resonates as truth. Sometimes there is conflict with new info, and resolving it can distress me, as can resolving a strong emotionally-driven desire with my values. Most everything is personal in some sense....I have to relate it to myself to understand it on a level where I can decide if it is right or wrong. That relating and evaluating is not done in such a linear manner though. As mentioned, often I start with the feeling and work through the "why" afterwards.

There is also a welling up of feeling - not emotion, but just a feeling that says "this is me, or what I believe, or an idea I feel is worthwhile" and it can be felt in a mood, an image, a melody, a phrase, etc. And I will feel immediately "this is how it must be expressed" when I come across a way to reflect that feeling externally.

Extroverted Intuition: Seeing patterns between seemingly unrelated things, applying the pattern in what seems to be unusual ways, considering many future possibilities. It jumps from A to C and then back to B and then to X and has a lot of fun along the way, discovering new ideas & formulating theories. It's a lot of "what if" and Fi tends to weed out what doesn't resonate as good to me. I feel like Ne aids in creating the idealist aspect in myself. My feelings are made universal in the sense that the Fi ideas now go beyond me, a mere individual - it's looking at the Fi vision on a global scale and creating a metaphor for the feeling to have larger application, so it's no longer just about me. I feel like Ne is a door that swings both ways - things go out through it, and come in through it.

Introverted Sensing: At best, it grounds FiNe....recognizes what has worked in the past so that my Ne tangents don't become totally ridiculous and counter-productive and my Fi feelings are not completely disconnected from reality. At worst, it blinds my Ne and sucks Fi into a withdrawn, negative state: nothing can improve - it will always be as it was, and the past proves it. That's the Fi Si loop for me. My Si also shows up in trivial ways - "This is not the same cheese they used in this dish last time!" and, "Wait - something is different in my room...who dares to touch my things?!". I'll remember random details very well, but it's inconsistent. Many things are remembered vividly as feeling-vibes as opposed to facts (Fi taking the reigns with the value determining the memory), which tends to make me a remembering the "gist" kind of person. Sometimes I have a hard time supporting a feeling with past details because of that. The details are lost, but the gist and feeling in the moment are what I remember.

I can have a nostalgic fascination with the past, but it also filters through FiNe which makes it more imaginative, and I can be less interested in what really happened than romanticizing it into some story as a backdrop for Fi ideas or to even figure out what a feeling means. The past is also just a springboard for my Ne to work from (it was done this way already - so what can I do that is different & fresh?). Sinking into what is familiar is also a huge comfort when I am stressed. It's like my baby blanket. It made me happy in the past, and I really need to feel good right now. I can't risk my usual experimenting - I need to go with something sure.

Extroverted Thinking: At worst, this comes out when I am stressed, and I can get a bit terse. At work, it's hard to use my Ne-aux and not seem....like an airhead :D. So Te is pulled out, and it can unintentionally seem brusque when I wield it. I'm like, "Let's get down to business; none of this personal talk. I'm all about efficiency!". When something is important, maximizing efficiency, striving for every detail to be just so, and keeping things organized can get blown out of proportion. It soothes me for things to run smoothly, which is why I think I seek order when stressed. Normally I don't like too much structure, but at a certain point you need to be saved from spiraling into a black hole of chaos.

Paired with Fi, it can make me stubborn and know-it-ally, insistent on what is proven externally (probably because it supports a value). I can be like, "Aha! I knew it! Let the facts speak - I am right!". I also distrust my Te, and can be paranoid about double-checking what is real. I am afraid my imagination has run away with me a little too much, and I need external evidence before venturing to express my idea.

My Te also comes out in very frivolous ways, but inconsistently: my shoes are neatly organized, but my clothes litter the floor; I have organized my post into bullet points, but many of the points go off on a tangent; my computer must be neatly organized in color coded folders, but my office has books and papers scattered about, etc.

Then I have a critical Te side when it comes to measuring things by external, objective criteria. Little stuff like things looking uneven or not matching when they should, etc. Being a designer, a lot of this has to do with aesthetics, or other things I value. I'm sure some of this is idealist perfectionism, but the criteria I use on occasion seems to be inferior Te. Again, it's inconsistent, and it's at its worst when applied to myself or my own work. There's a little Te demon sitting on my shoulder, whispering into my ear, "This needs to be moved 1/8" to the left or it's not perfect & it will mean you suck." I'm much, much, much more forgiving with other people.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Introverted Thinking: Categorizing and sub-categorizing? I do it, but it is not my favorite thing to do and feels onerous. I hate jigsaw puzzles.

Extraverted Intuition:Witty? I don't think I do that. I appreciate others who can though.

Introverted Sensing: This doesn't resonate much either. Maybe after a massage or a few glasses of wine possibly.

Extraverted Feeling:Connections and emotional ties? That is something that I do with a small number of people over time. I am more of a "depth" of relationship guy vs "breadth" though I force myself to do "breadth" when required.