• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Brands and Personality Type? Any example?

curiousel

Do you think that some brands appeal to one or some personality type?
for example car brands, or Apple...

Do you have in mind some love affair? Example: INFP-Apple

Have you noticed in your surroundings? a certain brand that appeals to a certain personality type?

Please explain.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Google Maps Streetview was built for IxxJ's :D

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
BMW = ESTP

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A bit off topic, but I think the way Apple (a giant corporation) has duped people into thinking they're so much more free-spirited, cool and counter-culture than Microsoft (another giant corporation) etc is extremely ingenious, totally bogus, and rather evil.

VagrantFarce

A bit off topic, but I think the way Apple (a giant corporation) has duped people into thinking they're so much more free-spirited, cool and counter-culture than Microsoft (another giant corporation) etc is extremely ingenious, totally bogus, and rather evil.

They're certainly a lot more creative, if anything. But hey, they're the underdog, people like the underdog. :)

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Supposedly microsoft's actions have really sucked over the years so it's comparing a company that isn't a bastard (apple) to a company that is (microsoft).

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Supposedly microsoft's actions have really sucked over the years so it's comparing a company that isn't a bastard (apple) to a company that is (microsoft).

I just think it's funny because say what you will, Apple is still a giant corporate machine, and a lot of people seem to have lost sight of that. Their marketing is very clever, I guess. I suppose they were the underdog once but they certainly no longer are, or not much of one!

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Apple markets themselves very well. They give the impression that they're an underdog/hip company that goes against the man. But as far as successful...in perspective MS sold more Windows 7 OSs in a month than the number of people that even use Mac OSX.

I just don't like their company development philosophy. They have supreme control over their software and hardware. Their stance hinders 3rd party developer support in return for a highly reliable, stable, intuitive and consistent end user experience. Which is why I tend to like Google and MS more as companies. However, they're a phenomenal brand in terms of how they can shape markets with their products. I usually recommend Apple products to those who can afford them and who don't really have an interest in technology, but just use it for utility.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Apple markets themselves very well. They give the impression that they're an underdog/hip company that goes against the man. But as far as successful...in perspective MS sold more Windows 7 OSs in a month than the number of people that even use Mac OSX.

I just don't like their company development philosophy. They have supreme control over their software and hardware. Their stance hinders 3rd party developer support in return for a highly reliable, stable, intuitive and consistent end user experience. Which is why I tend to like Google and MS more as companies. However, they're a phenomenal brand in terms of how they can shape markets with their products. I usually recommend Apple products to those who can afford them and who don't really have an interest in technology, but just use it for utility.

I met quite a few INTPs (and a slew of ISTJs and other ITs im sure) in computer engineering/science whose priorities you seem to share. I understand the appeal of mass 3rd party developer support, but I must say I'm a fan of the work of Mac-only 3rd party developers. Apart from a couple of killer apps nothing would turn me away from their often superiorly designed software.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I met quite a few INTPs (and a slew of ISTJs and other ITs im sure) in computer engineering/science whose priorities you seem to share. I understand the appeal of mass 3rd party developer support, but I must say I'm a fan of the work of Mac-only 3rd party developers. Apart from a couple of killer apps nothing would turn me away from their often superiorly designed software.

Oh definitely. Actually my post does seem a bit counterintuitive in that I'm calling the company with the largest amount mobile applications one that hinders 3rd party support, but it's more the whole process behind allowing apps and their certification process that bothers me. To their credit though, they have absolutely perfected and are complete masters of the technology to user interface. They are superb software designers.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
no but I think certain type of brands and products appeal to some categories more...

Attention seeking things, I'd say were more E type, rather than specific tyes

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an INFP Mac user :D

I'm a graphic designer though, and we tend to use Macs (pretty much almost industry standard - it's unusual to see an art department with mostly PCs). I like them because I find them simpler/easier to use, they have cleaner looking OS and general design, and for what I need, I'd spend as much building a comparable PC anyway. Most of my friends/family have PCs and they are always having so many problems & have gone through several computers while I've had the same macbook pro laptop. I never have any problems with my Mac.

As for brand loyalty, I suppose because I use a mac it just made sense for me to go with an apple ipod over some other mp3 player. I'm not really a "brand" person; I just buy what fits my needs and taste.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hate to give into emerging stereotypes, but another Mac-using INFP. I'm a programmer, so is a little more of an uphill battle than it would be for a graphic designer. Still, I always liked Unix, so Mac OS X combined a nice, consistent UI with BSD APIs... how could I not like? I do find it a little amusing that Macs are catching on with my programming coworkers, too.

I agree that the iPhone is unnecessarily restrictive and I hope they make their approval process more consistent. I also hope that in the version 4 of the iPhone/iPod Touch SDK they allow some minimal kind of background processing. Even support for lightweight, faceless daemons that responded to OS controlled callbacks would be a HUGE improvement.

Can't say I have tons of other brand loyalties.

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Unix, like the hacker culture that obsesses over it, is very NT and quite possibly *NTP.
Agreed. Whichever subculture Apple may have appealed to in the past its become so thoroughly mainstream as of late that its almost become irrelevant.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Uh, I am INFP and I have a Macbook Pro and an Ipod Touch too, so another Apple INFP :blush: However only since a few months, I bought it for university. In fact before I was quite skeptical about Apple, because I did not trust it is really worth the high money (i.e. you pay mostly for the name). However, when I looked at the criterias I made up for a Notebook I came to a versus between Macbook Pro and Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad and well, somehow I found the Macbook Pro more appealing :p The Ipod Touch I just took because it did not cost me much (I think it was at end around 35 Euro) because of a rebate action when you buy both together.

However, actually I am not yet very enthusiastic about the Mac OS itself so far (though I did not have not found the time yet to explore it really) and for the most time I still hang around at my self-build desktop PC :)

(I study Business Informatics)