• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

BULLYING: Personality type with a tendency to bully others? Type of the victims?

Lark

The only correlate I'd say there is for bullies is their social inadequacy.

F

figsfiggyfigs

i dont know if I posted here...

When I was younger I used to be a bully. like hard core bully, however, I only scared people, I rarely beat kids up. I was pretty young.

In high school and junior high, I used to get in fights, but I'd control myself and walk away..

I don't know if I was the same " type" then, but I know I don't bully people anymore, and hate seeing people get bullied, I'll usually stand up for them...

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I'd say there's a few key components, but not all are equal.

F's are more likely to be bullies in general; not all will be obviously and there's exceptions to every rule, but usually a bully is a result of a poor home environment. Lack of attention, abuse, etc generally is the base foundation. This can be from poor kids, with alcoholic parents, to rich kids with parents who just don't exist and are never home. Either way, the bully needs attention somehow, and to feel valuable, and usually does so at the expense of someone else. For the most part it's not their fault, and usually, after they escape their piss poor home environment, they get better.

F's will have a different response to this kind of mistreatment of them than T's though. A T won't be all that likely to lash out at others consistently for attention; they'll more likely try to earn their attention through other means than bullying.

So, too, is it that I's are generally more prone to being bully targets, and E's are more likely to become bullies in the first place.

Keep in mind though, that this still requires the basic broken home to begin with. Types don't "make" bullies... the home environment has to provide the situation that creates a bully in the first place, it's just certain types are more likely to turn into bullies after that environment has been supplied. Other types are likely to react differently. In a better home environment, most bullies that exist wouldn't with the better upbringing.

As for the ENTP bully, very unlikely but can happen... generally the ENTP will assume they're right and that the other deserved it... an ENTP can be a dangerous enemy, but they won't do traditional "target anyone weaker than yeu and rough them up". Moreso they'll focus on someone they have a grudge against and 'teach them a lesson'. They're more likely to attack bullies or be bullied, than to become one themselves usually. Their targets are too defined to be a true bully in most cases though.

Othon

MBTI Type
INTP
I wasn't so much bullied but was an outcast in the latter part of elementary for being that gullible ADD kid who had an obsession with the paranormal and hated sports. I still had my close group of friends. Then in middle school I WAS bullied for my sexuality (this was before even I knew I was gay. . . funny) and femininity. Lol, middle school sucks. Being passive made them think they'd get away with it, fighting back would only fuel it, and I was too much of a coward to tell any of the counselors. Out of the biggest bullies included an emotionally broken ISTP, an ESTJ with a fragile ego, and a controlling ENFJ. The bullying dissipated by the time I got to high school.

Not that the counselors would've likely sympathized much with a queerosexual. I remember once in the seventh grade one of the counselors was subbing for our math class and he started going on a tangent about how harassment is bad. But then he went on to tell about a situation he had to deal with in which a gay boy was being harassed. His thoughts? The whole situation could've been averted had the boy not been gay or had been more discreet. Doy!

Invisiblemonkey

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
No ENTP bullies? Someone hasn't been around on this forum for very long. Granted, he's more of an immature demi-flamer than a bully, but none the less.
Furthermore, we INTPs can get vengeful too. I'd describe the various philosophical conflicts that I've been over in my mind, but I don't want to sound insane.

F

figsfiggyfigs

The only correlate I'd say there is for bullies is their social inadequacy.

I don't think thats accurate for everyone. Like I said, I was a bully when I was younger, but had no social inadequacy.

Do explain it more Lark, :)

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't agree with the bit about INFP's being bully victims. Although, as a young child I was verbally abused quite a lot. But, I never reacted to it, or I just smiled at the abuser. I haven't been picked on for a long time.

woolgatherer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know about bullies, but I'm an INFP and I know I was bullied in elementary school, and maybe a little in high school before I started going to an alternative school. In elementary school it was only boys bullying me, and I'm a girl.

I don't know what type the people I picked on were. Probably introverts. I never messed with kids with differences or eccentricities or anything like that. I was probably a little different myself. I REALLY doubt I ever picked on an INFP or ISFP either. I picked on the more defiant passive aggressive type of introverts (or what I saw as defiance..). I was horrible when certain people basically didn't kiss my ass.
I fought with extroverts who challenged me too, but that's beside the point.

I wasn't passive aggressive but I wasn't kissing anyone's ass either. That may have been part of the reason I was singled out. Just saying... INFPs aren't necessarily conformists/ass-kissers even if they're in elementary school and being bullied.

KDude

I've come to realize infps are pretty badass if they have to be. ;)

sculpting

i dont know if I posted here...

When I was younger I used to be a bully. like hard core bully, however, I only scared people, I rarely beat kids up. I was pretty young.

In high school and junior high, I used to get in fights, but I'd control myself and walk away..

I don't know if I was the same " type" then, but I know I don't bully people anymore, and hate seeing people get bullied, I'll usually stand up for them...

When I take my little toddler to the playground even at a very young age you can pick out the Te doms. They are very assertive and commanding. Except it can really look like being a bully-unintentionally. It is their nature to structure the external environment, thus that's what they do.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
The ENTP I know is definitely a bully. He doesn't think of it that way, but he gives everyone shit about everything, including poking at topics that he knows are sensitive. He thinks it's funny... It's only funny a couple of times, but he does this nonstop. He's also a bit on the manipulative side. He seems like a nice guy, but he's only nice so people owe him a favor.

As a female ISTP, I certainly wasn't the popular kid in the class, but I wasn't bullied a whole lot. I had a couple of friends and I was mostly left alone. So I guess people didn't seek me out for bullying altho when given the chance, kids are mean. *shrug*

Windigo

I think ENTPs can bully without being aware they are doing it, the ENTJs at my high school seemed to make people feel inferior. I was the only INT in my year and i got bullied because i would never react which is why INs are probably considered as most likely to get bullied, not assertive and unlikely to react so people feel they can get away with it.

I don't think ENTJs typically bully other kids. In fact they tend to smack down the bullies. I do think they can come off as arrogant know it alls (same as ENTPs) because their immaturity tends to make them dismissive to other types who don't get what they are trying to say or who aren't accurate with information. I know I could really intimidate people intellectually and even be a jerk when correcting someone but I never sought anyone out to maliciously pick on them. In fact one summer I was subjected to brutal bullying until the neighborhood realized I never lost a fight. Once I made it to the top (actually second) I never picked on kids below me.

Also everyone seems to be saying that Te dom is responsible for bullying but then what about the ISTP? They are Te dominant (just like ENTJ) but I see them minding their own business most of the time.

Most of the bullies in my life have been either ESFJs or ESTPs.

Also, ISFJs can be both victims and bullies. They tend to want to quietly control things from behind the scenes and wield a lot of influence over the more extroverted types and are very picky about their friends. Yet on the other hand I see them getting taken advantage of by not being able to say no . . . but once they get angry WATCH OUT! They can get really vindictive when you've crossed the line.

Windigo

Some stereotypes:

ESTP - beats you up and steals your lunch money bullying
ESTJ - mocks you for being weird bullying
ESFJ & ESFP - "mean girls" type of bullying, cattiness, spreading rumors
ISTP - sarcastic comments under breath, mocking what seems stupid & unrealistic to them
ENTJ - psychological warfare bullying...think Jeff on "Flipping Out"
ENTP - general smartass behavior, putting people other people down to seem "better"
NTs - online trolling bullying

Wow! I think this is pretty on target. ESFJs also bully you for being weird or different.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I notice INFP and ISFP seem to be considered victims quite often..
Really?? I am most likely a hybrid of the 2.

With exception of a few nasty girlfriends.. No one bullies me around, no one ever has, and those that tried, failed.
I have always been someone who pushes back when cornered.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Some stereotypes:

ESTP - beats you up and steals your lunch money bullying
ESTJ - mocks you for being weird bullying
ESFJ & ESFP - "mean girls" type of bullying, cattiness, spreading rumors
ISTP - sarcastic comments under breath, mocking what seems stupid & unrealistic to them
ENTJ - psychological warfare bullying...think Jeff on "Flipping Out"
ENTP - general smartass behavior, putting people other people down to seem "better"

NTs - online trolling bullying

ISFJ - they want to be accepted (SJ), can have a hard time standing up for themselves, and are sensitive. They also express emotion more openly, which can make them targets.
ISFP - sensitive, often offbeat and attract negative attention because of it.
ISTJ - they can be "nerd" types
All INxx - because we are the "weirdos", right? I've never been bullied though. It just doesn't work on me.

you hit it right on the nose..

ironically, one of my friends ( INTJ) was a bully when he was younger :laugh:

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ
Bullies on Mondays and Wednesdays and Fridays: ISTJ, ISFJ, INFJ, INTJ, INTP, INFP, ISFP, ISTP, ESTP, ESFP, ENFP, ENTP, ENTJ, ENFJ, ESFJ, ESTJ

Victims on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Saturdays: ISTJ, ISFJ, INFJ, INTJ, INTP, INFP, ISFP, ISTP, ESTP, ESFP, ENFP, ENTP, ENTJ, ENFJ, ESFJ, ESTJ
Sundays are a free or all.:devil:

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
OrangeAppled said:

I have to say I'm pretty guilty at calling other people retards under my breath.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Overall, bullying doesn't really have a type, it's primarily fed by insecurity.

You hear this a lot, but research doesn't support it. Studies have shown that bullies, people who perpetrate domestic abuse, and other overly-aggressive people have above average self-esteem / feel like they're better than other people.