• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

BULLYING: Personality type with a tendency to bully others? Type of the victims?

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJ female, got bullied from elementary school through high school. It was the verbal/ social isolation type, mostly from boys.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure what type bullies most, and suspect any type could. I have noticed that in many cases bullies are intensely judgmental people so much so that they think they need to punish everyone. Bullies come across as rather self-righteous oftentimes. But then I wonder if they actually think the opposite and just always overcompensating.

Edit: I don't mean this in terms of morality, but in a sense of superiority combined with a victim complex that makes a person a bully.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. What is considered to be the personality type/s associated to a bully?

Can you rank them from 1, being the one with the strongest tendency to bully others.

2. What is considered to be the personality type/s associated to the victims?

Can you rank them from 1, being the perfect victim.
Bullies- ESTP, ESTJ, ISTP, ENTJ, ENTP.

Victims- ISFP, INFP, INTP, ISTJ.

KDude

i started off as a victim, but then became...pretty terrible in middle/highschool. More Se leading, out of touch with right/wrong. some people who finally stand up start off with noble intentions, but "power corrupts" sometimes. the beginning of the end was when an istp kicked the living shit out of me. ;) among other things.

Windigo

i started off as a victim, but then became...pretty terrible in middle/highschool. More Se leading, out of touch with right/wrong. some people who finally stand up start off with noble intentions, but "power corrupts" sometimes. the beginning of the end was when an istp kicked the living shit out of me. ;) among other things.

Among other things? What else did the ISTP do to you?:popc1:

KDude

hmm bad wording there. ;) "among other things"...i just mean everything is probably still shaping us in those years.

i'm not sure what the "theory" is on evolving and changing type, but i don't think i was settled on anything at that point.

Windigo

I don't think you start developing your tertiary function until you're 17-25. So you're type can be pretty fluid. I acted more like an INTP as a child, then became more extroverted and argumentative as a teen so I really could easily be confused as an ENTP, but as an adult, my family agrees that I am really more of an ENTJ type.

Things are pretty fluid for some of us. . . while others just seem to have a strong sense of who they are from the beginning. :)

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Haha I was the ENTP female who kicked the asses out of other bullies. XD
Although, from that point on, I became the victim, because people wanted to bring me down I guess. I didn't really understand people around me until pretty much last year or the year before, so I was very socially awkward and didn't understand why people would treat me badly when I did nothing to them, which made me feel bad and become the victim eventually, but I never really stopped standing up for people being bullied on by others. That's how I got detention so much tehehe

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Bullying tends to happen when you're young and thus less developed.

Which is why middle school absolutely sucks. (Kids aren't motivated by stickers, are old enough to do damage, smart enough not to do it in front of teachers, the councelors don't know what to do, ect)

Also.... middle school girl hiarchy... hates NTs (female)
Why? because middle school girl politics are absolute nonsense.
The girls at the top hate not having control, and the rest of the girls just agree with the ones at the top.

They tried to assimilate me (after a while they gave up settled for labling me as a bitch... can't say I cared... to me they were inferior.)

Retrospectively I find this absolutely hilarious. Who says they don't want to be in a lab group with you because you're "too smart."
This. Was middle school.
Actually, this was also college unfortunately. No logic whatsoever. When people found out I stopped caring about their pathetic lives in sororities, they pretty much kicked me out of the dorm and I had to live at home for finals or the lounge. Fun times.

But funny you should say that. I'm in a lifeguarding class now, and a lot of people are either hoping that they're in my group because I know what to do, or they don't because they think I"m too smart and I'll yell at them for doing something wrong. I thought people grew out of that *sigh*

MBTI Type
ESFJ
EDIT: Now that I think about it, Te- and Fe-doms tried to boss me around, and I let them think they were in control, up until they crossed a boundary, at which point I usually bit back with words and set them straight. No harm done in the end.

:D
This is basically it, except I did have bullying tendencies as a child.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Almost any type can bully. I made fun of a retarded girl, well actually she wasn't retarded...she was a highschool snitch. Sometimes I remember and I regret it.

I was bullied a lot after I broke my leg when I was a little kid. It was always something cool to make fun of the guy with the limp.

Then I grew up and bullied the bullies. Makes sense to me.
The narcissist and a little sadist one were my favorites.

I can't stand it ...if I see some kid get bullied on the street...I go and help him. I pretty much relate to that.

mrconfusion87

MBTI Type
INFP
You hear this a lot, but research doesn't support it. Studies have shown that bullies, people who perpetrate domestic abuse, and other overly-aggressive people have above average self-esteem / feel like they're better than other people.

That means we need some good-old fashion crab/tall-poppy mentality to use against those kinds of folks and tear them down; piece by piece, the way Slayer prescribes it! The bullies and abusers deserve every ounce of that medicine! :devil:

Lark

Its funny, the one time in my life that I engaged in behaviour which could be considered bullying, it did involve intimidation and terror of people I didnt like, I had a pretty sophisticated reasoning for behaving that way and the people who where my target did quite a bit to prove themselves a legit target, they where anti-social and scumbags pretty much.

I even fought with some of the harder elements which where pretty peripheral to my world but which their worlds intersected with, until it became too much, I remember the final fight, one of their asshole "champions" who used to beat on them as much as anyone else and who'd been involved in breaking and entering, intimidation of local girls who where in fear of him possibly becoming a rapist or something, he was too big and too strong for me to defeat.

Also, I had matured and totally changed social scene by that stage, I met lots of good people who didnt resolve disagrements with violence, who wherent cruel or interested in tearing people down for their own amusement. I knew that like a snake sheds its skin I'd changed from my formerly tougher, desensitised self, on a conscious and unconscious level I wasnt prepared to return to my earlier self to see off this one opponent.

Times where difficult for a while after that but the guy moved away, I've heard since he's still a thug, responsible for a lot of scum bag behaviour and likely will end up on the authorities radar, I know he's not forgotten about me and bares a grudge. Years after that incident I saw him in a train station and he pretty much humiliated a conductor but in a bizarre way it was like a challenge to me, pretty sure that was his motivation.

I can testify that if you're in the position of being a bully that there's two things which are true, you could experience an elevated sense of esteem, its because you're not afraid of anyone or anything, but its not the same as esteem because you feel something particularly good about yourself or you've accomplished something.

The other thing is that most bullies have been bullied themselves or are being bullied, Eric Fromm's authoritarian personality perfectly describes bullies, the kiss up and piss down mentality, they'll always have a higher authority that they are kow towing to and subordinates they'll despise. I'd experienced bullying and decided that on my own patch I'd not endure it, so I fought and over came my opponents but it called for a perpetual struggle that would have locked me into sort of personality structure I didnt want.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am not sure there is one particular type but one has to look at (external)conditions that's making the person bully others.

I was bullied in primary school. One day the girl liked me, the next she was being mean. It was awful, like constantly treading on egg shells.

In secondary school my best friend turned against me and her and her new friends bullied me to the point i asked to move classes.

I did on one occasion bully a girl .. I was bored in science so starting throwing pencils at her head, she left the class crying and someone asked why .. That girl then found me and gave me a shit kicking .. I deserved it.

Mainly i jumped in for my friends when they were being bullied, some girl in the next year up who was built like a shit brick house and always mouthing off didn't like my best friend and decided one day to piss me off .. Sad thing was even though she was a mouthy so and so, it was her friend who jumped in and started pulling my hair .. Big mistake as i'm going to defend myself .. I don't pull hair, i use my fists .. But hey, don't fuck with my friends.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I was bullied in primary school. One day the girl liked me, the next she was being mean. It was awful, like constantly treading on egg shells.

Haha, happened to me. One day this girl asked me to sit with her on the bus and I turned her down, from then on she pretty much physically harassed me on a daily basis.

duck!

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Curious no one's mentioned the ENFP. We don't get bulled -- and we don't bully?

Actually, I was bullied throughout school. Verbally, from boys and girls, but mostly boys. I still can't look any of them in the face; I feel weird about it.

It's easy to offend an ENFP like me. I was very sensitive and took things badly. Also, I was weird, so though I loved being around people I wasn't given many opportunities to do so. I retreated a lot -- it was painful because, again, I like people -- and picked up a ferocious reading habit. It's how I survived. I think I became a lot smarter and better for the thousands of books that I read, but I remember the loneliness sometimes, and it hurts.

Thankfully this changed once I left high school and in college I had more friends than I knew what to do with.

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
If you don't stand up for yourself and succumb to bullying without doing something, then yes, I'd say it is unhealty. There is always something that can be done.
Complete bollocks. I spend my entire youth standing up for myself against severe and constant bullying, and it never did a damn lick of help for me. This contrived and constantly spouted "if you stand up for yourself, people won't harass you" idea is... to put it bluntly... utter bullshit.

I think there are certain types that can be emotionally insensitive (no need to open that can of worms by airing what types I think those are) but I don't think there's any type that is more or less disposed towards being bullied or being a bully than another.

That sort of thing is entirely independent of personality types. Personality types do no define who you are, just how you process things.

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
Curious no one's mentioned the ENFP. We don't get bulled -- and we don't bully?

Actually, I was bullied throughout school. Verbally, from boys and girls, but mostly boys. I still can't look any of them in the face; I feel weird about it.

It's easy to offend an ENFP like me. I was very sensitive and took things badly. Also, I was weird, so though I loved being around people I wasn't given many opportunities to do so. I retreated a lot -- it was painful because, again, I like people -- and picked up a ferocious reading habit. It's how I survived. I think I became a lot smarter and better for the thousands of books that I read, but I remember the loneliness sometimes, and it hurts.

Thankfully this changed once I left high school and in college I had more friends than I knew what to do with.

Wow thats unbelievable familiar to me. Fortunetely for me it stopped after elementary when people started to appreciate the way ENFPs are a little more as opposed to being hostile to it. But it is sad looking back on those times and im sorry you had them too

duck!

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Complete bollocks. I spend my entire youth standing up for myself against severe and constant bullying, and it never did a damn lick of help for me. This contrived and constantly spouted i "if you stand up for yourself, people won't harass you" is... to put it bluntly... utter bullshit.

I think there are certain types that can be emotionally insensitive (no need to open that can of worms by airing what types I think those are) but I don't think there's any types that is more or less disposed towards being bullied or being a bully.

That sort of thing is entirely independent of personality types. Personality types do no define who you are, just how you process things.

*applause*

Entirely right. It might be chic to say that you're "above" bullying, but in some places it was pretty close to impossible to avoid it, was a constant reality. It's above and beyond personality type. Some of it was just abject and random cruelty.