User Tag List

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: BULLYING: Personality type with a tendency to bully others? Type of the victims?

Ginkgo

I was occasionally the target of bullying when I was younger; but I developed the facade of the "crazy kid" so I was left untouched. The act of bullying probably extends from some insecurity within the bully. "Tread on the weak so you remain strong" kind of thing. I would always forecast the bully as someone who wouldn't progress in the real world as long as he continued his childish ways. Of course, I was wrong.

I would say that EXXJs would be the most likely to bully, but any type can victimize or be the victim.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Assuming I am really INFP, projecting from my own experiences while not really being comfortable with saying it, I would say INFP can make a good enough target to be the victim.

Well, it was ridiculously easy to hurt or attack me in my young years, I can hardly believe that. I am happy that it didn't happen very often in my youngest years (at basic school), I was very popular. In secondary school however I had some time early where it was really horrible for me. People going on my nerves all the time and having lots of fun with it because I did not react angry but sad and rather wearing all those negative emotions with me, avoiding conflict (I remember I was often "ill"). In very rare situations I would have burst emotions, probably angry, cannot remember exactly.

I can even remember random kids (how to describe, I would say the associal kind of people) on street finding in me some victim sometimes when I just passed them; I seemed to have a big "Good Victim" sign on me. Must be the body language.

Well, I grew up and I learned to handle it better. I don't let things touch me that easy anymore (well, it is sometimes frustrating still, but not that hard anymore) and I will show much less reaction openly and react very harsh so people don't see such an ridiculous easy victim in me anymore. I learned when you just do so as if you don't care people loose interest quickly (though, it depends on WHAT they do). But maybe people at school just found that there were better victims, because they terrorized some much more than me (I know someone who was always in the Bullying position and got bullied himself later). Or they just learned to have more mercy with me when they grew up themselves because I am such a kind person :P

Oh well, when I read what I wrote I think I fit really to the stereotypical INFP profiles? It is awful

Senior Member Array HollyGolightly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Meh, any type can be a bully or a victim.
    I'm INFJ, I was constantly bullied as a kid. One of my bullies was also an INFJ. Nobody believes me when I say that and all I get is "are you sure she was INFJ?". Yup, 100000%. She tested for it and shejust acted very INFJ and she was similar to me in many ways. Bullying can be done indirectly, doesn,t always have to be verbal and physical abuse to your face, doesn't always have to be direct insults...
    Got bullied by two ENFJs. The best friend I've ever had was ENFJ. My mother is an ENFJ....what I'm saying is there is good and bad in every type and any type can have people who are unhealthy enough to bully.
    Joining in, being a bystander etc is also bullying. You are on the bully's side so aren't you as bad as them? And I think we;ve all done that at some point in our lives, whether we meant to or not.
    "Dad I can't feel my legs."

"That's because you don't have any arms."

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFP

I am INFP, and as much as I dont want to admit it, I do agree it is one of the more bullyable types.

When I was younger I was a target a few times, BUT what saved me all through grade school was the fact that I got a long with so many people. This allowed me to be friendly with almost all the cliques but belong to none. When someone would try to bully me I've had other people that were more aggressive types stick up for me.

Great example was in high school, I was in all honors classes and thus labeled, geek/nerd etc. This was easy target for a lot of people, like most of the jocks that had to look and act badass. What prevented me from being bullied was the fact that I knew a lot of people who played sports. I've had football guys stick up for me in front of their friends.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I had the potential to be bullied badly because of my childhood gender confusion (I was a severe tomboy...and by severe I mean that I practically thought I was a boy) and because I had weird ideas/interests (I always had some sort of weird project, like building traps to catch squirrels and other crazy things), but I was physically stronger and taller than most until about seventh grade, I didn't have a sensitive personality, and apparently my neutral face appeared (and still does appear) angry. Those few things together saved me from being bullied or even made-fun-of.

To make a more useful, on-topic comment, however, I do think that personality type is not predictive of bullying or victim tendencies. The key word is "predictive," because while you cannot say that being an INFx makes one more prone to being a victim, or that ESTP makes one more prone to bullying, or whatever, you can see how, if one is a bully or a victim, their types played into how they came to inhabit that role, and how they behaved while acting in it.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Sunless View Post
    It really depends on the person, any type could be a bully and any type could be a victim, but these types would be more prone to suit those roles

ESTJ - ENTJ - ENTP - ESTP - for bullies.

INFP - INTJ - INTP - for victims.
    ENTP?? Are you sure. I've never been into that playground S&M business...I'm just the quintessential "buddy".

MBTI
    infp

I think unhealthy people can be of any type or sort. I know people of the same type aren`t really the same, so I may just be stereotyping with what I`m about to say, but in terms of the openly bully-type person I associate it best with EXTX types.

My brother was being bullied in grade school. He was the more quiet, somewhat nerdy, fantasy prone glasses wearing sort of guy (I suspect him being an INTP but am not sure), while the bully was what you usually imagine; a big, bulky and loud mouthed guy. I didn`t really know about it until later, since I`m 6 years younger than my brother, but from what my parents told me, when they talked to the bullies father he gave of the same impression as his bully son, so I guess the growing environment is an important factor as especially little kids pick up on the behaviour of those around them pretty fast.
    And I think the whole incident deffinitely left a scar.

As for INFP`s being the bullied type...In grade school I had two (girl) friends (probably both ESFP), who lashed out at the slightest attempt of bullying and the bullies usually ended up being sorry. I do seem to get unwanted attention from people who think I`m all marshmallows and rainbows and easy to mess with, but they find out pretty quickly I`m not that soft on the inside when I don`t react the way they wanted and focus their attention elsewhere. But I don`t like using violence in return. My grandma said I was like that ever since I was little and described it as (not literally, but you get the picture) :"wouldn`t take sh*t from anybody, even if they were twice your size"
    .:"Claude os, aperi oculos.":.

"You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless, you have to hope even harder and cover your ears and go 'lalalalalalala'"- Fry (Futurama)

That's my name biotch! Array JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

Gee, I don't know if I could isolate this to type. Especially becuase you can be a bully through guilt and manipulation just as easily as you can through sheer force and an I is just as capable of slinging guilt around as an E.

I see that several people mentioned ENFJ's or ExxJ's as bullies. I can only speak for myself when I say I have been known to bully bullies. If anyone tries to intimidate me or any of my friends I will turn on a dime...I rip their beating heart out of their chest and stick it where the sun doesn't shine (and they invariably give me a hug and thank me afterwards...it's pretty weird). I've always been that way...it makes for good stories But otherwise, I would say I am very cooperative and easy to get along with
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

I have to admit that I was slightly a bully (?) when I was younger. In the way that girls are to their friends sometimes. Example: I made my friends give me things like candy and whatnot in order to hang out with me... This was when I was like 7 and 8. I grew out of that gradually and I think it's safe to say that from the age of 16 on I had completely grown out of that "Mean Girl" phase of my life. I never picked on any of the so-called geeks or anything like that though. I just was a bitch to my friends so don't know if it counts as bullying or not.

Oh, I would have to agree with those who are saying that ENTP's are not typical bullies. The ones I know don't seem like they would be bullies at all. And if they did bully people I have a feeling that it would be to people who they thought deserved it for being assholes or something.

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast